Scooters, Secrets, Keys

tommy dee

5 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

I had met him a few times years ago at Sssss during some of those famous drunken parties but I'm sure he didn't remember me. He and I butted heads a lot on the old forum. Then last March I was with Stew and Ian and we went into a bar on beach road that he was known to hang out in. As I don't drink alcohol I'm not sure he knew what to make of me. There ended up being 6 or 7 of us sitting around telling lies and watching the girls shoot pool. I was slowly drinking on my bottle of water and he kept eyeing me suspiciously. It's the old adage... " never trust a man who doesn't drink excessively " but then I bought a round for everyone sitting there at our tables. It went unnoticed till Stew told CDMM that I had bought everyone those drinks and all of a sudden his attitude towards me did a 180. From that point on we have been good friends. Now if I can just learn to understand what the hells he's saying........ lol

He had wifey and i in stitches, he was one funny guy that night we met up.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug said:

I was there last night and there were more staff than customers. Two girls in flag uniforms that were designed to look weathered but to me they looked dirty. I came in and there was only one other guy in the place (besides the manager). I would think the manager would have said hello or given me a nod. Maybe he has given up. The place was clean and the music was nice but there was only 2 girls outside that stayed outside and the service staff of about 5 girls. If you always want to be able to get your favorite table when you walk in, then this is the place fo you. I had 4 friends join me there for a drink and we immediately left after. While I wish them luck I just think this place is doomed. I came in at 9pm and was bin #4 for the day. My friends put the bins up to #8 but I would be surprised if they had hit #20 by the nights end. A big place with big overhead. I keep trying to enjoy a visit there every trip but I just end up thinking my entertainment money is better spent elsewhere. Again in the 4 or 5 visits I have made there since the opening day I haven't once gotten a greeting by the manager or owner or whoever the falang is that's there. I don't need a long chat but if the place is a scooby-do ghost town I would think showing the customers that do show up a little acknowledgment is fair which a nod is fine. Below are the pictures of our bins. 60e5476578b20b2c8c2b1f68f22390ee.jpg5f21f222e42040b2916a97b3c9dc5caa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Interesting read as I would like to try the place when I am there over New Year. 

Like you I would probably drink up after one drink if I felt both the atmosphere and lack of welcome was poor.

Just looks a great place to drink but comments here show a bar that is failing to deliver.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Same same for me Doug. Young Larry and a few of us went in ....... one drink.

Sadly wonderful bar before feels dead now. 

Needs Phil and a harem of beautiful women may work .......??? Agree seems doomed. 

With you on this one....there is is an overarching narrative...no hot women...the bar dies

Every bar has cold or at lest semi cold beer

Its the women FFS

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

With you on this one....there is is an overarching narrative...no hot women...the bar dies

Every bar has cold or at lest semi cold beer

Its the women FFS

I would say its the atmosphere. Women come after.

Mates, music, drinks, women... and in that order. 

6 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Needs a forum as Secrets would never had the success it did without it due to its side street location. 

Girls or not. 

Need to get it out there on the Internet 

many people here seam to hate him but may be what new bar need is Ben or some one like him.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

TBH I would reverse that order completely

13 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

You are getting old ...  😜 

women , women, women , drink , music , mates 

Has always been the rule since I was 20.  Still is.

In those parts of the world women are easier to find than good music.

24 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Needs a forum as Secrets would never had the success it did without it due to its side street location. 

Girls or not. 

Need to get it out there on the Internet 

Agree that the forums brought many in for the first time....

But it was Larry that kept everyone coming back time after time.

Edited by thumper63
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Doug said:

I was there at 9pm last night and there were more staff than customers. Two girls in flag uniforms that were designed to look weathered but to me they looked dirty. I came in and there was only one other guy in the place (besides the manager). I would think the manager would have said hello or given me a nod. Maybe he has given up. The place was clean and the music was nice but there was only 2 girls outside that stayed outside and the service staff of about 5 girls. If you always want to be able to get your favorite table when you walk in, then this is the place fo you. I had 4 friends join me there for a drink and we immediately left after. While I wish them luck I just think this place is doomed. I came in at 9pm and was bin #4 for the day. My friends put the bins up to #8 but I would be surprised if they had hit #20 by the nights end. A big place with big overhead. I keep trying to enjoy a visit there every trip but I just end up thinking my entertainment money is better spent elsewhere. Again in the 4 or 5 visits I have made there since the opening day I haven't once gotten a greeting by the manager or owner or whoever the falang is that's there. I don't need a long chat but if the place is a scooby-do ghost town I would think showing the customers that do show up a little acknowledgment is fair which a nod is fine. Below are the pictures of our bins. 60e5476578b20b2c8c2b1f68f22390ee.jpg5f21f222e42040b2916a97b3c9dc5caa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

agree those faded flag dresses look dreadful

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Has always been the rule since I was 20.  Still is.

In those parts of the world women are easier to find than good music.

Music won't attract me , it might turn me away though if it's really bad or too loud , otherwise I'm fairly ambivalent about it 

thing with mates first in a place like Thailand is someone in the group will have to compromise to keep the group together, I did it lots on my early trips ... my last time in Thailand , with friends from home , a couple of years ago would see us going our separate ways after a meal and a couple of drinks - one friend likes beers bars , another likes the hands on GoGos and the last one hates those but enjoys the more upscale GoGos .. I'm probably the easiest to please but just find it easier on my own , I can drink at my own pace and go wherever I wish , it's nice to meet up with guys for a chat now and then , but in Patts that's not my priority 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Music won't attract me , it might turn me away though if it's really bad or too loud , otherwise I'm fairly ambivalent about it 

thing with mates first in a place like Thailand is someone in the group will have to compromise to keep the group together, I did it lots on my early trips ... my last time in Thailand , with friends from home , a couple of years ago would see us going our separate ways after a meal and a couple of drinks - one friend likes beers bars , another likes the hands on GoGos and the last one hates those but enjoys the more upscale GoGos .. I'm probably the easiest to please but just find it easier on my own , I can drink at my own pace and go wherever I wish , it's nice to meet up with guys for a chat now and then , but in Patts that's not my priority 

Note that I used the term "mates", not friends.

Completely different.

And also, I have always been (and still am) an expat. So the place where I live / work is my home (at that moment), its a bit different from beeing a visitor.

Bali is my home today, but no clue about tmrw.

And yes, I am mainly a lonely wolf also. Imperatif if you want to survive in this environment. Locations, bars, mates, women...they're all temporary. Till you find / meet the next ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thumper63 said:

The face of Secrets for all those glory years was Larry. Not Ben. Ben might of owned the bar... but it was " the pretty bitch " that made it all work. He was the one who greeted you by name, introduced you to other BMs, bought you and your friends more rounds than any other owner or managers in all of Pattaya, clued you in to which gal you might like best, and basically turned Secrets into one of the best bars in all of Patters. It was family.

was ok best bar in pattaya still tq still ther 40 year & almost same

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

The face of Secrets for all those glory years was Larry. Not Ben. Ben might of owned the bar... but it was " the pretty bitch " that made it all work. He was the one who greeted you by name, introduced you to other BMs, bought you and your friends more rounds than any other owner or managers in all of Pattaya, clued you in to which gal you might like best, and basically turned Secrets into one of the best bars in all of Patters. It was family.

owner that bar as mysterous as why some eat balut & hagis

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thumper63 said:

Agree. Spot on Thump.

But they blew it. And when they gave up the lasagna I was finished.    😌     55555

Glad that life goes on. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, BarryL said:

was ok best bar in pattaya still tq still ther 40 year & almost same

Yep....

Seems the best bars I've been loyal to (over long long years) find the right mix and stick with it. Maybe some tweaking now and then, but stick with the basic scheme. 

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Of course the owner and staff are the main draws for me (over the long run at least). I can go to a million different bars, but the return to the same almost always comes down to good people who are there and dedicated.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Agree. Spot on Thump.

But they blew it. And when they gave up the lasagna I was finished.    😌     55555

Glad that life goes on. 

I remember a few years ago Ben changed the menu and of the 17 post in the thread,

14 post was by mods/admin supporting the new menu, think some would have seen that thread as a big brownie effort by all concerned.:default_ass:

regards

grayray