Gardening

Skalliwag

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent upwards of £70 on bedding plants for me late mother as she always liked a nice array of colour in the front garden. Trouble is lambing season has just finished here and sheep are roaming all over the place eating anything and everything. 

Next door neighbours need an education in how to close their driveway gates preventing my flowers being scoffed by dumb lambs and sheep. 

Words will be had 😁

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 4:20 AM, Skalliwag said:

Thanks.

Mama thinks so too.Happy wife,happy life.

perhaps i can hire her as a consultant.  so far to date everything i have platned to eat, has died, except the herbs.  now covered the lot with that green see thru mesh to proptect them from the sun as a last ditch attempt.,  as a self confessed loser in the green finger stakes, i am waiting to see if it makes any difference.  with envy.. tommy  😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tommy dee said:

perhaps i can hire her as a consultant.  so far to date everything i have platned to eat, has died, except the herbs.  now covered the lot with that green see thru mesh to proptect them from the sun as a last ditch attempt.,  as a self confessed loser in the green finger stakes, i am waiting to see if it makes any difference.  with envy.. tommy  😉

Hmmmm,that’s odd.
What did you have planted?

Garlic and onions are coming in now here.And tomorrow’s lunch,we have some friends popping by.

Peas are on fire...will do some fresh mushy peas tomorrow.

will add a full report tomorrow night,after half a dozen Magners.😁

60926CEE-B919-4905-9509-168E3F1C53F3.jpeg

5AA345F3-E26B-48BD-9027-CBFED55D0095.jpeg

D9DAC09C-48F9-4A72-98E6-AE5ACED7FDF0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Hmmmm,that’s odd.
What did you have planted?

Garlic and onions are coming in now here.And tomorrow’s lunch,we have some friends popping by.

Peas are on fire...will do some fresh mushy peas tomorrow.

will add a full report tomorrow night,after half a dozen Magners.😁

60926CEE-B919-4905-9509-168E3F1C53F3.jpeg

5AA345F3-E26B-48BD-9027-CBFED55D0095.jpeg

D9DAC09C-48F9-4A72-98E6-AE5ACED7FDF0.jpeg

Garlic and lamb, my favourite combination for Sunday lunch. 🤗

When I was living off Soi Khaotalo I arranged for a friend to bring me back over from the UK  two different varieties of runner beans as I used to love growing and eating them.

I prepared their "plot" and built a classic framework using bamboo from the house next door's awful hedge.

I planted two beans per pole to be reduced to one and within three days really healthy looking plants had appeared. I watered them well before going off to work. Came back in the evening and went out to see how they were getting on.

All eaten!

Planted some more and when they emerged put a cunning net over the whole row.

All eaten!

If at first you don't succeed......................................Give up and have a couple of beers!

Sai immediately planted a horrible Thai inferior quality Thai variety of bean under my runner bean poles that of coursed flourished.

"I could have told you yours would get eaten."

"Why didn't you?"

"You didn't ask ....... Som-nom-na 😀"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

When I was living off Soi Khaotalo I arranged for a friend to bring me back over from the UK  two different varieties of runner beans as I used to love growing and eating them.

I prepared their "plot" and built a classic framework using bamboo from the house next door's awful hedge.

I planted two beans per pole to be reduced to one and within three days really healthy looking plants had appeared. I watered them well before going off to work. Came back in the evening and went out to see how they were getting on.

All eaten!

Planted some more and when they emerged put a cunning net over the whole row.

All eaten!

If at first you don't succeed......................................Give up and have a couple of beers!

Sai immediately planted a horrible Thai inferior quality Thai variety of bean under my runner bean poles that of coursed flourished.

"I could have told you yours would get eaten."

"Why didn't you?"

"You didn't ask ....... Som-nom-na 😀"

What was eating them?

For snails and slugs,I’ve had a ton of success cutting the bottom off a beer can,about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom.

Set half a dozen of them around what you’ve planted,dug into the ground so they are flush with the soil.

Put some beer in them.Come back in the morning and they are full of snails and slugs.

Or you con use half and egg shell.Same same.

I also fertilize strictly with chicken shit.No super phosphate or and other fertilizers.We compost  everything as well,we have two big revolving compost bins and an open compost at the back for all the leaves and dead plants at year end.
pits taken a few years to figure out where everything likes to be planted.

for the longest time we ran things in rows one way,then switched last year and had better success.
plants are finicky things,they need to feel right.Fuckers.

also,to have better success,start things in pots,and get them to as big as you can before replaying.

Except for things like carrots and other small seeds.Then it’s ,plant as much as you can,and be happy with what’s left.

Big day here today,we had a bunch of people over for lunch.

Will add some pics of the garden tomorow for clarity of questions,switch on over to “what you’re eating thread”,to see results from today.

No mushy peas though,sorry.😁

2 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

For snails and slugs,I’ve had a ton of success cutting the bottom off a beer can,about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom.

Set half a dozen of them around what you’ve planted,dug into the ground so they are flush with the soil.

Put some beer in them.Come back in the morning and they are full of snails and slugs.

Or you con use half and egg shell.Same same.

I also fertilize strictly with chicken shit.No super phosphate or and other fertilizers.We compost  everything as well,we have two big revolving compost bins and an open compost at the back for all the leaves and dead plants at year end.
pits taken a few years to figure out where everything likes to be planted.

for the longest time we ran things in rows one way,then switched last year and had better success.
plants are finicky things,they need to feel right.Fuckers.

also,to have better success,start things in pots,and get them to as big as you can before replaying.

Except for things like carrots and other small seeds.Then it’s ,plant as much as you can,and be happy with what’s left.

Big day here today,we had a bunch of people over for lunch.

Will add some pics of the garden tomorow for clarity of questions,switch on over to “what you’re eating thread”,to see results from today.

No mushy peas though,sorry.😁

despite my failure here I can warn you, as a farm kid in early life, that chicken shit is the worst.  its high in ammonia but worse, it stinks like fuck and every time it rains it will stink again, cow or pig is a safer way to go, but for me it will be from a packet as I have neither .

51 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

despite my failure here I can warn you, as a farm kid in early life, that chicken shit is the worst.  its high in ammonia but worse, it stinks like f**k and every time it rains it will stink again, cow or pig is a safer way to go, but for me it will be from a packet as I have neither .

Chicken shit has to be aged like fine wine. No good fresh.

Ammonia is good, that's where the nitrogen comes from. Ammonium sulphate, urea, ammonium nitrate (not that you can get it anymore) and human pee are ammonia based fertilisers.

On 6/14/2020 at 8:10 PM, code_slayer_bkk said:

Damn .. some good info on this thread ...

I have tried for years to grow good .. big .. tomatoes here but I have always failed ... not sure what the problem is .. never able to find an answer

1. Were your seeds fresh? From the latest season?

2. Did you start your seeds indoors, using peat pods/peat moss starter soil?

3.  when planting outdoors, how good was your soil?

22 hours ago, tommy dee said:

whole area got fuckin aphids and tomaotes got white veins in leaves which is some kind of leaf mite.  i spratyed with washing liquid and water, they all died anyway, now on second batch different earth

1. consider buying hybrid tomato seeds that are bug & disease resistant. 

2. Use the spray setting on your hose and wash down your plants everyday.  I like pots for my tomatoes. I have them close to the pavement, I can drag the potted tomato plant to the road and hose down both the tops and bottoms of the plant and I inspect my success after spray down. 

3. for smaller bug issues, I use a homemade and/or organic spray. 

4. For major bug problems, I use actual bug spray...better to feed me than feed the bugs 😉

5. For both fungus & bug problems, I use the 3 in 1 sprays you can buy at any garden store.  

11 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

1. consider buying hybrid tomato seeds that are bug & disease resistant. 

2. Use the spray setting on your hose and wash down your plants everyday.  I like pots for my tomatoes. I have them close to the pavement, I can drag the potted tomato plant to the road and hose down both the tops and bottoms of the plant and I inspect my success after spray down. 

3. for smaller bug issues, I use a homemade and/or organic spray. 

4. For major bug problems, I use actual bug spray...better to feed me than feed the bugs 😉

5. For both fungus & bug problems, I use the 3 in 1 sprays you can buy at any garden store.  

I am sure your advice is very sound but your reference to "YOU can buy at any garden store" makes me wonder if we are all singing off the same hymn sheet? Tommy, code-slayer and myself live and garden in Thailand and if you do not then I have to point out that we face very different challenges than I ever did in the many years I gardened in the UK. To be successful you have to follow the tried and tested ways the Thai's garden the result of which is nearly always eaten even when it just looks like a bunch of weeds! 😀

48 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I am sure your advice is very sound but your reference to "YOU can buy at any garden store" makes me wonder if we are all singing off the same hymn sheet? Tommy, code-slayer and myself live and garden in Thailand and if you do not then I have to point out that we face very different challenges than I ever did in the many years I gardened in the UK. To be successful you have to follow the tried and tested ways the Thai's garden the result of which is nearly always eaten even when it just looks like a bunch of weeds! 😀

In thailand - only garden on my deck.  2nd floor.  I seem to have less bug issues.  It was close to Cozy Beach, so had a nice breeze most days that kept bugs from landing and staying on the plants.  Probably combinations of 2nd floor, breeze and on condo balcony made things a bit easier.  Never had to deal with garden issues on ground level / in a garden.  The biggest issue in my area was fungus on my leafy vegetables as the salt air and humidity caused powdery mildew on my plants at an alarming level.  

F5F9B644-58B5-4DC5-B28B-1CDB6674EF68.png

32417855-57F6-4AB6-B24F-655EF40F498E.png

On 7/5/2020 at 2:33 AM, tommy dee said:

whole area got fuckin aphids and tomaotes got white veins in leaves which is some kind of leaf mite.  i spratyed with washing liquid and water, they all died anyway, now on second batch different earth

when I was living in Thailand, I didn’t have bug issues on my tomato plants, but did have issues with bugs on my dwarf meyer lemon tree and dwarf fuji apple tree.  I used netting to protect my plant from bugs and got in the habit of wrapping a lot of my vegetables with sandwich bags to protect them when they were just developing.  

Is there a possibility of spraying your plants with actual insecticide? or are you trying to stick with the soapy water method?

Also, is buying netting through Lazada for all your tomato plants an option for you?

(btw, tell me about the washing liquid you were using)

03601935-A502-4443-AE46-B53CD9298556.jpeg

396D657E-ED10-4BF8-BC74-378DDCED0A33.jpeg

Edited by Sea-Hawks

8 hours ago, tommy dee said:

despite my failure here I can warn you, as a farm kid in early life, that chicken shit is the worst.  its high in ammonia but worse, it stinks like f**k and every time it rains it will stink again, cow or pig is a safer way to go, but for me it will be from a packet as I have neither .

Have to be careful with chicken shit,but I love it.Yes it stinks ,but I don’t min annoying the bloke next door for a week or so.

Also,it doesn’t do an weed seeds like other manure.Add it to compost and it makes the garden fly.

My friend there,Brad Sproxton,(stuck in Perth ATM),has a beauty little farm 15 minutes from Pattaya.

His wife is one of the best I’ve seen over there.Search him out at The Golf Club when he returns.

She is amazing and would love to help out.The stuff she is growing is amazing.

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Have to be careful with chicken shit,but I love it.Yes it stinks ,but I don’t min annoying the bloke next door for a week or so.

Also,it doesn’t do an weed seeds like other manure.Add it to compost and it makes the garden fly.

My friend there,Brad Sproxton,(stuck in Perth ATM),has a beauty little farm 15 minutes from Pattaya.

His wife is one of the best I’ve seen over there.Search him out at The Golf Club when he returns.

She is amazing and would love to help out.The stuff she is growing is amazing.

Pig shit any good?

IMG_20190903_170826.jpg

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Pig shit any good?

IMG_20190903_170826.jpg

Yep,but best made into a slurry with water and then spread.

Uncle had a huge pig farm at Mt George NSW,and he ran it all into a tailing pond,then spread it on  his lucerne and oats.
Not really worth it if you just have the two in pic.Best breed them twice then knock the fuckers on the head, get them hung,bled, cut and wrapped.

Let me know if ya need a hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...well, last of the blueberries for this season.  At one time my plants had a bunch of baggies covering the berries.  Where I am at, here in the states, the birds like to eat all the berries off.  Down to just of few baggies/berries left. 6672E3D9-BC7F-48D3-9803-0CC968EC654C.jpeg

67C8374D-DE0C-4C17-AFAC-727C50E5F3C2.jpeg

The first of the tomatoes came in.  The first set I grew in containers.  I usually do succession growing so I can have a harvest all season long, well into the late fall.  I planted the 2nd set a month after and chose to keep them growing in jugs of water and avoid soil/bugs and snails.  

EF6149CA-29C8-411C-8F8A-E90D0A8BC183.jpeg

I usually grow rosemary & mint to accompany my tomatoes to help ward off bugs.  The rosemary I use for cooking, but don’t really use my mint.  

I pruned the center area of the tomato plants to allow for airflow to minimize yellow leaves/fungus/bugs...not a huge problem where I am currently at, but had the time so did some basic maintenance. If I were still in Thailand, I would do it on all the tomato plants due to all the humidity there.  

I pruned off all the suckers and at least 1/3 of the secondary leaves. On the 2nd group of tomato plants in the jugs, to minimize on the weight, I’ll probably prune all the suckers and 80% of all the non flowering stems/leaves.  

F6AF522B-2802-4DF7-8AB5-A9CD0911ABA1.jpegA2BECB43-94D9-4B48-AD52-EF9CD58CA6C5.jpeg

mint

034A91ED-79B0-4420-A93B-A288C99C02DA.jpeg

The 3rd and final tomato succession growing, I’ll probably replant into styrofoam coolers/water  to help keep the bottoms/roots warm as it will be cold at night as it gets late into the season/fall.  I try and always avoid containers/soil in the final succession growing so that I can begin/end most of my garden/clean up without having to wait on my late fall crop

42A72CD5-CA91-44D0-84FC-560EA8E9B76E.jpeg

60DA5068-8DBC-4D69-9D3E-483AAF4FE143.jpeg

17DF34A2-FD57-48C1-AE39-CBE8DF997D3C.jpeg

7F45C625-7C2A-4BDF-9737-833BD81FC7F6.jpeg

Edited by Sea-Hawks
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

...well, last of the blueberries for this season.  At one time my plants had a bunch of baggies covering the berries.  Where I am at, here in the states, the birds like to eat all the berries off.  Down to just of few baggies/berries left. 6672E3D9-BC7F-48D3-9803-0CC968EC654C.jpeg

67C8374D-DE0C-4C17-AFAC-727C50E5F3C2.jpeg

The first of the tomatoes came in.  The first set I grew in containers.  I usually do succession growing so I can have a harvest all season long, well into the late fall.  I planted the 2nd set a month after and chose to keep them growing in jugs of water and avoid soil/bugs and snails.  

EF6149CA-29C8-411C-8F8A-E90D0A8BC183.jpeg

I usually grow rosemary & mint to accompany my tomatoes to help ward off bugs.  The rosemary I use for cooking, but don’t really use my mint.  

I pruned the center area of the tomato plants to allow for airflow to minimize yellow leaves/fungus/bugs...not a huge problem where I am currently at, but had the time so did some basic maintenance. If I were still in Thailand, I would do it on all the tomato plants due to all the humidity there.  

I pruned off all the suckers and at least 1/3 of the secondary leaves. On the 2nd group of tomato plants in the jugs, to minimize on the weight, I’ll probably prune all the suckers and 80% of all the non flowering stems/leaves.  

F6AF522B-2802-4DF7-8AB5-A9CD0911ABA1.jpegA2BECB43-94D9-4B48-AD52-EF9CD58CA6C5.jpeg

mint

034A91ED-79B0-4420-A93B-A288C99C02DA.jpeg

The 3rd and final tomato succession growing, I’ll probably replant into styrofoam coolers/water  to help keep the bottoms/roots warm as it will be cold at night as it gets late into the season/fall.  I try and always avoid containers/soil in the final succession growing so that I can begin/end most of my garden/clean up without having to wait on my late fall crop

42A72CD5-CA91-44D0-84FC-560EA8E9B76E.jpeg

60DA5068-8DBC-4D69-9D3E-483AAF4FE143.jpeg

17DF34A2-FD57-48C1-AE39-CBE8DF997D3C.jpeg

7F45C625-7C2A-4BDF-9737-833BD81FC7F6.jpeg

WAIT.. so Mint drive the mites and bugs away?? pls confirm as I have shedloads fo that.  plus I am well pissed off seeing your toms lookin so good :)