Gardening

Skalliwag

19 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

...this season, I did succession planting.  My 3rd and final set, I grew in either Grow-Bags or Air Pots.  Using both these types of containers sped up the growth time along with making them grow extra big.  I think the Air Pots/or similar did the best in making my tomato plants over 6 feet tall.  

I think I’ll buy more fake/knock off Air pots from Lazada when I can get back into Thailand.  C776C28A-C247-44C9-8F08-A9FA8B210036.jpeg

BAC41862-F7EA-4007-A137-7C938D272903.jpeg

I could plant a few seeds into her methinks!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, lazarus said:

^ Nice tomatoes...Afghan strain..? 😉

My Princess Flower -- aka Tiouchina -- is doing it's thing right now.

20200919-P1030992.jpg

20200919-P1030994.jpg

20200917-IMG_5701-3.jpg

20200918-IMG_5738.jpg

20200918-IMG_5737-2.jpg

Havnt you heard about our BC tomatoes?Best in the biz.🤣🤣
lovely flowers BtW.

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

...this season, I did succession planting.  My 3rd and final set, I grew in either Grow-Bags or Air Pots.  Using both these types of containers sped up the growth time along with making them grow extra big.  I think the Air Pots/or similar did the best in making my tomato plants over 6 feet tall.  

I think I’ll buy more fake/knock off Air pots from Lazada when I can get back into Thailand.  C776C28A-C247-44C9-8F08-A9FA8B210036.jpeg

BAC41862-F7EA-4007-A137-7C938D272903.jpeg

Thanks for the tip on Air Pots. Like the eye candy too.

Just ordered several for my lady, Air Pots that is, not the eye candy. :default_cheers:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Thanks for the tip on Air Pots. Like the eye candy too.

Just ordered several for my lady, Air Pots that is, not the eye candy. :default_cheers:

btw, Lazada sells perlite & vermiculite too. I would suggest you buy those to help aerate the potting mix.  Speaking about potting, they sell some good potting soil too on Lazada 

17 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

btw, Lazada sells perlite & vermiculite too. I would suggest you buy those to help aerate the potting mix.  Speaking about potting, they sell some good potting soil too on Lazada 

Thanks, but there's a truck that makes the rounds around the neighborhood that sells that stuff, so no need to order off of Lazada. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It was suggested in another topic to use a fountain in a garden pond to control floating weeds. The idea being the weeds won't grow if the water is moving around a bit. So just installed a cheap (188B) solar powered water fountain from Lazada to give the idea a try.

Didn't realize from the pics on Lazada just how small the pump is.
PB160017.jpg

But a quick test in the water showed the pump was more than adequate for a nice size water fountain.
PB160019.jpg

Realized with the quick test I was going to need to invent something to keep the top of the fountain nozzle just above the water surface. Placing it on an elevated hard surface below the water would work, but even better would be if it could float to allow for changing water levels.

With plenty of foam packing material laying around, figured that would lend itself well to a makeshift float.
PB160021.jpg

With a bit of trial and error figured out how much foam to use to keep the nozzle just above the water surface.
PB160022.jpg

Final step was to wire tie the electric cord to a stick to keep the pump centered in the water pond. Finished install looks pretty good with a nice size fountain of water.
PB160025.jpg

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

MINE ARRIVED TOO, THEY ARE MINUTE.  have put two together but was about 4.30 not much sun, dribblers at best

also began to build my garden and lawn irrigation system.  so far above ground to get it right. 4 metal sprinklers. they work fie but the pressure is an issue.  might be the cheap tap so am gonna pipe into the main pipe tomorrow then see,

once i have to working i willinstall a timer but first need to get pressures right.  took the stupid plastic filters out too as they slow the flow a lot

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

MINE ARRIVED TOO, THEY ARE MINUTE.  have put two together but was about 4.30 not much sun, dribblers at best

also began to build my garden and lawn irrigation system.  so far above ground to get it right. 4 metal sprinklers. they work fie but the pressure is an issue.  might be the cheap tap so am gonna pipe into the main pipe tomorrow then see,

once i have to working i willinstall a timer but first need to get pressures right.  took the stupid plastic filters out too as they slow the flow a lot

The supply for our garden watering system is the rain collection tank I installed earlier this year. That in turn has it's own booster pump that adds plenty of pressure to the system. It's a Kanto Pump that I bought for 1,450B from Lazada.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 8:52 AM, forcebwithu said:

The supply for our garden watering system is the rain collection tank I installed earlier this year. That in turn has it's own booster pump that adds plenty of pressure to the system. It's a Kanto Pump that I bought for 1,450B from Lazada.

how many sprinklers are working from that pump amigo?

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

how many sprinklers are working from that pump amigo?

No sprinklers, it was a misting system. I say "was" because my lady moved her plants around so much it wasn't worth the effort to reposition the misters so pulled them down. You can see in the pic below the misting nozzles. There was probably about 30 of them and the pump was more than adequate for providing good water pressure to all of them, even the ones at the end of the line.

If you want to test your sprinklers on the pump, you're more than welcome to come over and hook them up. Tomorrow would be great as I'll need to water the garden again while my lady is in Bangkok. :default_biggrin:

P4030003.jpg

well to test phase one, which is pipes above ground testing only:

4 sprinkler units  inline

result, shite, as in drip only.

step 2...  fitted new outlet to the water supply as the tap is basically a resistor so slow the volume coming out.  replaced with plastic 2 inch tap, then reduced to 1 inch pipe.  and removed the filters that are for some stupid reason fitted inside the sprinklers

result, much better BUT still not enough pressure fo them to switch back and forth, the work fine one way only, so lifted up the flick switch and they do 360 fine.  not ideal but its a start

also ordered lazada some v cheap sprinklers without mechanism to see if they work too

THE PLAN

is to fit in 4 garden areas.  each on a time, each set an hour apart from 3.30 am.  so each will have the best pressure available.  they will cover the grass and most plants

these are what I have ordered and based on the price I am not expecting much.  will see

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i885320475-s1781304933.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

I call the tomatoes from the local market, rubber ball tomatoes, no flavor or juice. You could bounce them off the wall.  I had a Florida friend bring me seeds that were supposedly developed for a hot weather climate. Most came up and looked great. They fruited and then withered up and died. I planted them in full sun, partial sun and shade. Same results. I used clay soil, sandy soil and sterilized soil from the nursery. I gave up. The cherry tomatoes from the market taste great.

20 hours ago, boydeste said:

Although they are small, they look to do a good job on the pots that forcebwithu has them in.

they are total crap to be honest.  the main issue is when you plug them in they work, when the sun goes off, ie hand in front, they go off, then dont come back on again unless you unplug and plug in again.  you get what you pay for but they are total pants. sorry.

his floating idea is an excellent one BTW, but the units are shite.  anyone wants them I have 4 with no use for them