Gardening

Skalliwag

Worked out in the Garden starting at 4:30am this morning.  It’s 39c today & will be 43c tomorrow….I think that’s hotter than Pattaya.  

Brought in the Roma tomato seedlings inside to do the prep and got them into my hydroponic set-up.  

Seattle normally doesn’t get this hot, must be global warming. Breaking new records everyday

05A6DF21-E987-4B0A-A668-8816D80EAEDB.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^ Like your garden, but have to wonder if you get any complaints from the neighbors about the repurposed planters on the front lawn? Think that would run afoul of zoning regs in some communities in the US.

lol, I am surrounded by 3 golf communities that would not allow this sort of thing, but the tiny pocket/neighborhood I live in is not part of that, so ok in that regard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^ Like your garden, but have to wonder if you get any complaints from the neighbors about the repurposed planters on the front lawn? Think that would run afoul of zoning regs in some communities in the US.

Many people in the Puget Sound region let their lawns go brown in the dry summer months.

Having a few planters "greens" things up a lot. Repurposing wasteful lawn space to grow food is one way of improving the environment and filling the salad bowl.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 2:51 PM, Anto Ex Jomtien said:

My Allotment in Dublin City .Things growing fast now that its July /21 and quite warm for Ireland .I am growing Potatoes ,Tomatoes ,Lettuce ,Cucumber ,Strawberry ,Brussel sprouts ,Onions ,Sweet Corn ,and some Flowers .

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

beautiful garden beds!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

My little planters on my balcony 

Basil , Chives and chilli 

FB5E7BBB-987A-4C33-8BC3-E5B714F595F6.jpeg

Spearmint and a small tomato plant 

4208AF04-75D5-4197-A41A-6E026DD9F307.jpeg

all grown from seed apart from the toms 

Looking good!   Nice when u can go and just clip what you need to cook with, can’t get any fresher & more organic !!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

My little planters on my balcony 

Basil , Chives and chilli 

FB5E7BBB-987A-4C33-8BC3-E5B714F595F6.jpeg

Spearmint and a small tomato plant 

4208AF04-75D5-4197-A41A-6E026DD9F307.jpeg

all grown from seed apart from the toms 

I have some chives in a pot but they're really not doing as well as I hoped, my chilli plant is bearing some fruit still, but again, nothing compared to earlier this year. Same for my blueberry bush, hardly anything compared to last year where I was getting handfuls every day 😞

My parsley and coriander are going great guns though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

I have some chives in a pot but they're really not doing as well as I hoped, my chilli plant is bearing some fruit still, but again, nothing compared to earlier this year. Same for my blueberry bush, hardly anything compared to last year where I was getting handfuls every day 😞

My parsley and coriander are going great guns though.

Chives: consider hitting it with some water soluble fertilizer when watering next. #2 water deeply, but don’t overwater regularly.  If the sun is directly effecting the chives, consider giving it afternoon shade or put a paint strainer bag over it to shield it from the hot sun.  

Chilies, hit it with some water soluble fertilizer.  Give it as much sun as possible.  

Blueberries annually need to be fertilized with fertilizer that is geared specifically for blueberry bushes. Also, sprinkle some peat moss (can use jiffy peat pellets) on top of the soil, work it in about the first inch of the top soil. Did you do a PH reading of your soil? Blueberry plants need acidic soil.  Over time/waterings your soil becomes alkaline, so you need to regularly amend your soil.  

• Great Info 2

23 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Chives: consider hitting it with some water soluble fertilizer when watering next. #2 water deeply, but don’t overwater regularly.  If the sun is directly effecting the chives, consider giving it afternoon shade or put a paint strainer bag over it to shield it from the hot sun.  

Chilies, hit it with some water soluble fertilizer.  Give it as much sun as possible.  

Blueberries annually need to be fertilized with fertilizer that is geared specifically for blueberry bushes. Also, sprinkle some peat moss (can use jiffy peat pellets) on top of the soil, work it in about the first inch of the top soil. Did you do a PH reading of your soil? Blueberry plants need acidic soil.  Over time/waterings your soil becomes alkaline, so you need to regularly amend your soil.  

Awesome and very useful info, much appreciated. The chives were given to me by a neighbor (hers put mine to shame). I'll grab some water soluble fertilizer this weekend and give it some love.

My Blueberry bush was transplanted from a large pot to the ground last year, the fruit crop last year was massive, but I'll definitely add peat moss. It is my "baby" and along with a natural redcurrant bush we have growing in the garden, they both supply my berries for my porridge while sat in the garden on a hot summer morning 🙂 , although the redcurrants fruit earlier than the blueberries.

The chillies have been shaded in the smallish pot, so I'll re plant and reposition this weekend as well.

Cheers for the help!!

• Thumbs Up 1