Gardening

Skalliwag

I absolutely loath gardening, and the physical work that goes with it, plus a total ignorance of horticulture and when and where to plant things.

A sad loss for me really as I appreciate what many people to with that precious piece of land and the beauty in summer

A few years back, we were offered an allotment close to where I live. Mrs Nightcrawler was very keed and I told her that she would have to do a lot of work and put a lot of time in to grow crops and that being in the UK, she would not be able to successfully grow many of the fruit and veg available in Thailand.  Needless to say, she did not have a clue, and nor did I. she spent a couple of days, which involved many of the old guys on the allotment site eager to talk to her, dirty bastards lol. 

She gave up rather quickly and I had to pass it on, having spent a day or two there myself listening to people telling me what we needed to do

Shame really, because I like the idea of producing plants and vegetables organically.  But ..........................its a lot of time and energy involved, and I would probably ended up drinking gin and tonics in the store shed all day 

I wish that I had the knowledge and discipline to have made a go of it, but like so many things these days, I am just too lazy to bother with

Some great pictures there BTW, and I can see all the benefits of a lovely garden.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I absolutely loath gardening, and the physical work that goes with it, plus a total ignorance of horticulture and when and whee to plant things.

A sad loss for me really as I appreciate what many people to with that precious piece of land and the beauty in summer

A ew years back, we were offered an allotment close to where I live. Mrs Nightcrawler was very keed and I told her that she would have to do a lot of work and put a lot of time in to grow crops and that being in the UK, she would not be able to successfully grow many of the fruit and veg available in Thailand.  Needless to say, she did not have a clue, and nor did I. she spent a couple of days, which involved many of the old guys on the allotment site eager to talk to her, dirty bastards lol. 

She gave up rather quickly and I had to pass it on, having spent a day or two there myself listening to people telling me what we needed to do

Shame really, because I like the idea of producing plants and vegetables organically.  But ..........................its a lot of time and energy involved, and I would probably ended up drinking gin and tonics in the store shed all day 

I wish that I had the knowledge and discipline to have made a go of it, but like so many things these days, I am just too lazy to bother with

Some great pictures there BTW, and I can see all the benefits of a lovely garden.

Once you are set up,it’s really not that much time everyday to keep things moving.But the set up is a lot of work.

I get the kid out there too,anything to get them outside and off the video games.

Its fun and relaxing for me.A bit of music and yes,lots of Gins as well.

Ive moved off tonic and am onto Gin,a splash of Lemon Sanpeligrino and a dash of lemon water.Try it,it’s a great summer drink.👍👍

8 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Peas.

Hard to plant with the dodgey leg.Mama is on it.

B1A87682-E2DF-4A68-945C-BD0268EA2CC5.jpeg

9A1F289C-1153-42B0-B84B-67AA8244573A.jpeg

Sweet peas, or runner beans perhaps?

I’d say the runner beans, Thais only plant what they can eat. 🤣

Did your dear lady build the house as well, seems she’s got the skills to do it. 👍

4 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Sweet peas, or runner beans perhaps?

I’d say the runner beans, Thais only plant what they can eat. 🤣

Did your dear lady build the house as well, seems she’s got the skills to do it. 👍

Peas, beans are this weekend.😁

Didnt build the house but she knows her way round the odd tool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Peas, beans are this weekend.😁

Didnt build the house but she knows her way round the odd tool.

I know there’s a joke in there, but I’m not going to be the one that makes it. 🤣

• Haha 1

I remember having a day when I decided to tidy up the rear garden which included doing quite a lot of weeding.

Told the wife when she returned who shot round the back of the house to have a look. 

First comment I heard was "Where's my lemon grass?" followed by a large amount of Thai which did not sound too complimentary.

It would seem about half the weeds I removed were significant components in a Thai's staple diet.

Still all looked like weeds to me. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

Let's not forget that grass is a plant aswell and it takes some looking after to make it look good

A nice lawn with flower borders can be a beautiful thing. But prefer the lawn tbh. 

Some require more looking after than others.

00000.jpg

• Great Info 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, fygjam said:

00000.jpg

Im not a tree hugger at all but i do know that astroturf impacts on the environment in every way.

In production with use of oil base products.

Not at all environmentally friendly when installed

when finished with need to go to landfill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

00000.jpg

Of course. Never grows. Never needs feeding or scarification. 

Can you buy that stuff with stripes in it? 

And my only interest is because I took care of a cricket square for years! 

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

Im not a tree hugger at all but i do know that astroturf impacts on the environment in every way.

That may or may not be the case.

At least one manufacturer of synthetic grass in Australia uses recycled PET drink containers as the feed stock. Polyethylene is polyethylene. They also claim that the synthetic grass itself is recyclable.

25 drink bottles make 1 square metre of grass.

And in a dry (and drying) country like Australia perhaps synthetic grass is a better alternative than the squillions of litres of water being "wasted" trying to maintain natural grass.

Personally I have no preference either way having neither natural or synthetic grass. I go along with the Thais. If you can't eat it why grow it.

Edited by fygjam

3 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

i am told fake grass is burning hot in the sun so much so that soccer plaers suffer from it in heat.  hardly good for here??

Perhaps it's just that soccer players are wimps.

All internationals, every top club match and almost every other game of hockey are now played on artificial grass hockey turfs. Innovations in synthetic hockey fields have developed fast pitches, true ball roll, and increased player safety and comfort resulting in a faster, more exciting and skilful game.

3 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

A lot of it is now from recycled plastic bottles and other recycled materials. 

My sister has a large section on her patio, looks good and never needs attention. 

http://www.fakegrass.org.uk/recycled/