Worse Airport

dcfc2007

• 1 year later...

Pyongyang - what a dump, plus they stole all our spare parts, scopes, teletypes, circuit boards and test equipment after we checked everything in.

Baghdad - A BA 747, no seat allocation and overbooked. When boarding called, hundreds of people scrambled to the double doors to get on Thank God my engineer and I got on it. Many didn't.

Both of these in the early 80's.

Bucharest, Romania

Flew with Tarom, years ago. Coming back, connection wasn't there, freezing cold, had to sit on the floor and everything closed  for buying food. 6 hours later, and a vile looking bread roll full of measle meat, the plane ready for boarding but over booked. No body in the airport knew what was going on and hardly spoke a word of English. 

Boarded in the end then sat on the plane for another hour while they de- iced. Truly a journey from hell. 

6 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Bucharest, Romania

Flew with Tarom, years ago. Coming back, connection wasn't there, freezing cold, had to sit on the floor and everything closed  for buying food. 6 hours later, and a vile looking bread roll full of measle meat, the plane ready for boarding but over booked. No body in the airport knew what was going on and hardly spoke a word of English. 

Boarded in the end then sat on the plane for another hour while they de- iced. Truly a journey from hell. 

I've been to Bucharest a lot in the last few years & am happy to say it's improved considerably.

For me the worst was Dhahran 1980-82 but only on the way in as I was usually drunk & it took so long that by the time I got through I had a hangover.

Tashkent in Uzbekistan having flown on the national carrier

Massive great holes in concourses sort of roped off lol. We got upgraded by some fluke so we got lounge pass in Tashkent as well which was the normal transit lounge but with a black curtain which sectioned off a small area lol with some drinks and some sort of snacks

Wreckage of miltary vehicles were littered everywhere by runway. Not that long ago 1994

Edited by RR007

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Worst airport I ever experienced (and even more than once) was Paris CdG, since the last time I am prepared to pay extra to avoid it.

I was there(in Paris) for 6 weeks in 1995 working & I discovered an underground restaurant at CDG which I think was for staff but nobody stopped me going in there.

Cheapest beer I found in Paris.

Belfast harbour about 35 years ago.  A bit like a set from a WW2 film.

I used worry about getting a taxi from central Belfast to the Airport with my English accent and the fact that the taxi drivers were wearing black balaclava hoods.

I made that last bit up. 😀

The worst for me has to be Lower Loon Creek on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, US.

Technically, this is more of an air "strip"...a backcountry airstrip. In the mid 1990s when I worked as a river guide I'd sometimes fly in or out depending on our trip staffing needs. Gorgeous spot smack in the middle of a road-less wilderness area. 

The only drawback was it's short runway with a ski jump end of the tarmac directly facing the opposite side of the canyon. Planes crash on a regular basis in the Idaho backcountry...so it could be a little nerve racking looking at the canyon during take off.

Upper-Loon-Creek-17-2.jpg

Upper-Loon-Creek-11.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 4
  • Great Info 1