Sign in to follow this  
Lanzalad

Kev in Thailand.. any update..?

15 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Yes I think your right , someone I know , was in Thailand full time for about ten years , he left U.K. when was in his early 40's .....returned home with cirrhosis , was taken care of and even managed to get a transplant  

I believe any emergency treatment is given to any UK citizen even if they have lived overseas and return for treatment. Can not just use the NHS or GP services for free if on a holiday and requesting routine assistance before returning overseas.

32 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

I consider this my home.  so would not be flying back to the UK if I were sick.  yes i have cover, for which I am grateful, also a thai SS card for hosptials here as a backup, thru working legally.

for anyone settled here, this is home.  the mother country is nice for visits, but not a place i would want to live in ft again

To each his own.

I had full coverage and repatriation cover during all my life, went with the job.

I have only one home country. All the others I am just a visitor, sometimes for years.

I'll probably end up cremated in one of those places. But it still wont be home.  

The main reason I prefer Bali to France is the weather and the temperature of the swimming pool. Could have been any sunny place, just that the Indo girl wast the fastest one to catch me.   Hahaha

Ok, back to medical insurance.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Another reason to not cut ties with you home Country imho , pretty sure if I was seriously sick I would want long-term treatment back in Britain 

Absolutely!

One of a few reasons why i'll not retire full time in whatever country. It'll be longish 'trips' to whatever country/countries, probably around the winter, but keep on the place in London and everything as I have now, GP etc. Daughter will probably be living here anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is a good thread. Forget about the GoFundme opinions and where & when if insurance. The main point is many younger tourists/ex-pats, including myself, have the mentality “ it won’t happen to me”, and never bother to get coverage. 

Shit happens though, and do you want to be that guy possibly begging for cash to get bailed out of a jam, halfway around the globe? Not me. Always good to spend a little upfront and not have surprises. Unfortunately many of us(including me as a Canadian with free healthcare) don’t think that far ahead  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I believe any emergency treatment is given to any UK citizen even if they have lived overseas and return for treatment. Can not just use the NHS or GP services for free if on a holiday and requesting routine assistance before returning overseas.

Absolutely right Dave My brother inlaw whos been abroad about 20 years mainly in Brazil but the last 3 years in Thailand was in servere pain for about a year had many mis-diagnoses by a Thai hospital in Udon (his doctor told him he had vitamin deficency and needed to eat more fruit) Eventually he flew home to England after much pressure from family members, He signed up at the doctors near his sisters where he was staying and within 2 weeks he was in hospital and diagnosed with stage 3 bone cancer,  Hes been through alot of treatment the last year including stem cell therapy and hes doing ok but the year wasted because of the mis-diagnoses has really hurt him, Hes been back to Thailand 2 times to vist his partner and is hoping to be able to return there full time when his treatment finishes although he will have to have yearly tests in the UK but hes not been asked to pay a penny by the NHS.

Edited by buffalo
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Horizondave said:

50 minutes ago, buffalo said:

Absolutely right Dave My brother inlaw whos been abroad about 20 years mainly in Brazil but the last 3 years in Thailand was in servere pain for about a year had many mis-diagnoses by a Thai hospital in Udon (his doctor told him he had vitamin deficency and needed to eat more fruit) Eventually he flew home to England after much pressure from family members, He signed up at the doctors near his sisters where he was staying and within 2 weeks he was in hospital and diagnosed with stage 3 bone cancer,  Hes been through alot of treatment the last year including stem cell therapy and hes doing ok but the year wasted because of the mis-diagnoses has really hurt him, Hes been back to Thailand 2 times to vist his partner and is hoping to be able to return there full time when his treatment finishes although he will have to have yearly tests in the UK but hes not been asked to pay a penny by the NHS.

This is the current situation, the info below is an extract from...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-to-improve-overseas-visitors-contributions-to-nhs-care

I also would agree that you would not be refused emergency treatment as a UK citizen on returning from abroad, registering with a doctors surgery will suffice.

NHS Returnee.PNG

He looks in very good spirits and he has also lost more than just a few kilos.

5 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

He looks in very good spirits and he has also lost more than just a few kilos.

Yes I watched that and thought the same. Best of luck to him

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 9:28 AM, tommy dee said:

I consider this my home.  so would not be flying back to the UK if I were sick.  yes i have cover, for which I am grateful, also a thai SS card for hosptials here as a backup, thru working legally.

for anyone settled here, this is home.  the mother country is nice for visits, but not a place i would want to live in ft again

Not when you get to your 70's though in my opinion and one of the reasons I would never burn my bridges back in the UK.  I simply dont believe that these grey old men sitting drinking Chang in barside boozers at 10am on Soi Buakhow are living the dream. Only my opinion fully acknowledge

• Like 6

Who do you use please?

I’m with AIA and I pay 3,000฿ per month. Doesn’t cover a lot and no pre existing.
  • Thanks 1

Wifey has me on AIA also when in Thailand, I think she pays 60k baht per year for a pretty decent coverage overall. 

I am sure there are cheaper plans and ones that are more expensive too. 

• Great Info 1

Talking to a mate over the weekend about this and travel insurance ( not strictly the subject of this topic) is for nothing in UK  and we have an annual family policy for £120 which provides great cover for up to 45 days at one time.

as for ex pat cover it’s got to be the first thing you buy after your airline ticket ... surely ? I’d have no problem paying for it as I consider it an essential travel item. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, AJSP said:

Talking to a mate over the weekend about this and travel insurance ( not strictly the subject of this topic) is for nothing in UK  and we have an annual family policy for £120 which provides great cover for up to 45 days at one time.

as for ex pat cover it’s got to be the first thing you buy after your airline ticket ... surely ? I’d have no problem paying for it as I consider it an essential travel item. 

Being an expat residing overseas or travelling for holidays are 2 different things.

Good luck finding health insurance as an over 60y old pensioner expat. Same problem being regulary discussed on Indo forum.

Edited by Thai Spice

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Being an expat residing overseas or travelling for holidays are 2 different things.

Good luck finding health insurance as an over 60y old pensioner expat. Same problem being regulary discussed on Indo forum.

Yes, that’s why I mentioned both scenarios. I’ve got several over 60 mates whom live overseas and finding cover isn’t difficult although it can be pricey !

Edited by AJSP

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I was with Pacific Cross when living in Thailand, I was paying about 35,000 baht for both myself and my daughter and that covered everything (N + C - normal and customary) but with a 40,000 baht excess which I thought was reasonable to keep the basic cost down.  If you are with an existing insurance company most will cover you beyond 70, and yes, it obviously becomes more expensive but compared to what you may pay out should the worse happen it is definitely an acceptable price to pay.

I am presently in the UK seeing doctors for something that is likely to be a kick in the teeth for me and I can assure you if I was in Thailand and uninsured I would be up the Swannee river without a paddle. No amount of female bar company would be making up for a bad medical predicament if uninsured..

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AJSP said:

Yes, that’s why I mentioned both scenarios. I’ve got several over 60 mates whom live overseas and finding cover isn’t difficult although it can be pricey !

They should check their maximum cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care much for most Thai Vloggers but I find Kev and Geoff Carter to be nice people. I met Kev briefly when I happened to stop in the Hideaway for couple one night. Real friendly guy and I wish him well in his quest for a recovery. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I in the case of those I referred to, in the main, their maximum cover isn’t their insurance policy it’s their bank balance.the others i know fall, sadly, into a different category 

Glad he's out of hospital, that must have been a worry for his family and friends.

I'm going to be horrible now. Just watched his vlog above about the vaping French lady. First of all has his weight loss caused his teeth to be more ill fitting than before? And by God he's a shit story teller. If I'd been sat in his company while he dragged that tale out I'd have been off to the toilet or sat there thinking of starting smoking again to escape.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, misteregg said:

I’m with AIA and I pay 3,000฿ per month. Doesn’t cover a lot and no pre existing.

Did you declare baldness and being a life long West Brom supporter ??? :default_cheers: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

I have looked into many companies product and i have to say they fall way short of what is needed imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good discussion about various expat insurance options. Thinking it's a subject that deserves its own topic I've created one.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sign in to follow this