VIETNAM FOR A NEWBIE

tommy dee

Just now, tommy dee said:

i liked  the food, the mrs didnt as " no sapacee"

I'm the same. 

Big Vietnamese community close to us, loads of restaurants. I find the food quite bland, but love sapacee and think I must be spoilt at home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

I'm the same. 

Big Vietnamese community close to us, loads of restaurants. I find the food quite bland, but love sapacee and think I must be spoilt at home. 

went on a cooking course in Hoi An , the chef was a good guy works in Melbourne part of the year , he said if you need to use lots of chilli you cant cook .... plenty of spices used in Vietnamese food , but none that over powers it 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Stillearly said:

went on a cooking course in Hoi An , the chef was a good guy works in Melbourne part of the year , he said if you need to use lots of chilli you cant cook .... plenty of spices used in Vietnamese food , but none that over powers it 

Probably personal taste.

I like lots of chili.

Prefer Thai spicy Thai food every day of the week, and I have tried quite a few Vietnamese places, though in London, not Vietnam :default_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Vietnamese food is nice.

Other nice thing in HCMC is you can find decent french food at reasonable prices.

Worked 18 months there in 2008.

Could have been on my retirement list.

You just like the baguettes :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 1:23 PM, nampla69 said:

Maximum of 15 days. Quite strict about it.  I had to take out my laptop at immigration and show my return flight ......... one look and then straight through.

Will print a copy next time...... I arrive in Saigon or is it Hanoi .....no Da Nang ???.... :default_cheers:   Food is great in Vietnam ........ 

So simply rock up at immigration (perhaps as a sideway trip from Thailand) and thats it  ??  Any Dollars to hand over at immigration still ??  Really want to go to Da Nang am totally pissed off with Thailand. As I've got older have lost all interest in Girls (yes it still works) would prefer to booze and laugh rather than bonk these days

• Like 2

No just turn up and make sure you have a copy of your return flight printed out. I had it on my laptop as a PDF and the guy wanted to see it then waved it taxi waiting hotel ready and hit the town. Vietnam is fantastic I have say ....... different in so many ways to Thailand but the history, scenery and food and beer ..........+ all naughty nightlife is there too.

Can really see why you are pissed off with Thailand ........you would love Vietnam and its also really cheap. :default_drinks:

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, nampla69 said:

No just turn up and make sure you have a copy of your return flight printed out. I had it on my laptop as a PDF and the guy wanted to see it then waved it taxi waiting hotel ready and hit the town. Vietnam is fantastic I have say ....... different in so many ways to Thailand but the history, scenery and food and beer ..........+ all naughty nightlife is there too.

Can really see why you are pissed off with Thailand ........you would love Vietnam and its also really cheap. :default_drinks:

Would you recommend Danang as such ??  Or elsewhere ??  Am a beach boy which is what I liked about the location

19 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Would you recommend Danang as such ??  Or elsewhere ??  Am a beach boy which is what I liked about the location

Beach try Na-Trang and for a bit of culture Hoi An for a couple of nights , I stayed a five minute taxi ride away on the coast at the Palm Garden Resort 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am very interested in Vietnam. Good thread. Wanna learn more and some good posts here. Strange though seeing all the names of sights on here. 50 some years ago these names were war zones mentioned by relatives and friends that fought in that bull shit so called "war". Refreshing to see this country a land of sun and fun now. The way things are going with the £ and the AUD exchange rates, it could only be a matter of time before the greenback follows. Maybe not sooner than later but I have to keep my options open when I retire as a place to live 10 months out of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steels mate you would adore the place. Really nice country to travel around in. I did all the battle field tours Khe Sanh, DMZ, Hamburger Hill, Ho Chi Minh, Mekong Delta BenTreh all that stuff. I would go back and hope to in a heartbeat and the barber shops Hoc Tocs are also interesting me old mate :default_drinks:

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 1:28 AM, tommy dee said:

the newbie is me.  I finlly got to come here.  in Saigon now and day 2 of a short escape.

First impressions : clean, no fuckin dogs around and  bustling city without cars but a shed load of bikes.  loving the food and the atmosphere at the weekend here in the old city.

Weather this mornign was super cool, yesterday mid afternoon was also cooler than Thailand.

Will post photos later but will be crap compared to the good ones from others I know.  But really happy here.  nice hotel, freindly people etc etc. 

(damn I sound like a newbie thailand 555)

Tow rai short time?

GF and I had 2 weeks in Nha Trang earlier this year. Fabulous wide beach, no rubbish around. clean water, no hawkers, jet skis, parasail boats etc. A wide tree lined park all the way, about 4km, gym equipment, toilets and showers. Taxis quite cheap but 5 local bus routes to all the popular places for 7000 vn dong one way. 

The only real downsides were the place is packed with Russians. Signs, menus, brochures all in Russian. We also found English speaking not common there, Google translate was useful. We would go back again. 

Edited by biggles
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 7 months later...

An (semi advertisement) article on Stickman this week about Vietnam

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2020/02/everyones-talking-about-vietnam/

Very global / superficial stuff, with very little real information IMO but still a few infos to pick up.

Having worked/lived in HCMC 10 y ago, I have my views and concerning the nightlife I dont agree with him.  But of course if somebody's idea about nightlife is a line up of gogos, beerbars, and low standard "massage" places it can not be compared with BKK or Pattaya for sure

To note him mentionning that ATM, there exist no long term retirement visa ! 

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

An (semi advertisement) article on Stickman this week about Vietnam

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2020/02/everyones-talking-about-vietnam/

Very global / superficial stuff, with very little real information IMO but still a few infos to pick up.

Having worked/lived in HCMC 10 y ago, I have my views and concerning the nightlife I dont agree with him.  But of course if somebody's idea about nightlife is a line up of gogos, beerbars, and low standard "massage" places it can not be compared with BKK or Pattaya for sure

To note him mentionning that ATM, there exist no long term retirement visa ! 

plenty of atm, all work with our cards.  i didnt read the link

Stickman's interviewee maybe isn't that clued up.  The No. 5 bar happy hour was 130,000 dong a year and a half ago, and I can't imagine they cut the price.  The sign wasn't even there recently, although their website still says the happy hour is on.

happy hour.jpg