VIETNAM FOR A NEWBIE

tommy dee

8 hours ago, tommy dee said:

Will post photos later but will be crap compared to the good ones from others I know.  But really happy here.  nice hotel, freindly people etc etc. 

Don't worry about that at all.

The subject matter of the photo is far more important than the quality. Personal photo's bring the forum to life.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

21 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Happy Hour at the rooftop bar Rex hotel is 17:00 - 19:00 , the surrounding buildings look great lit up at night 

thats where we stayed first night.  now on a boat in the bay for 2 nights.  bit rushed as its "organised"  but faultless and no one trying to flog us stuff like in thailand....yet

pics will follow but net very week out here in the bay.

lovin it

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, tommy dee said:

thats where we stayed first night.  now on a boat in the bay for 2 nights.  bit rushed as its "organised"  but faultless and no one trying to flog us stuff like in thailand....yet

pics will follow but net very week out here in the bay.

lovin it

Get down the Mekong Delta ...Cu Chi tunnels, Ben Tre  and then fire AK47s and M16 s ......then drink snake blood wine.

You'll love it  Do the shooting bit first ...... :default_210:

• Like 1

I was in Vung Tau for 10 days, it’s a couple of hours down the river on one of the ferries from Saigon,it’s right at the mouth of the Mekong delta, 5 hours in a taxi.It’s not very touristy but there was a great little bar scene there,the Red Parrot was a favorite and Ned Kelly’s was a super little guest house with good food right opposite the ferry terminal .I remember taking out 2 million dong every time I went to the ATM.As I say not touristy but great for a few days of whoring.Anyway , I hope you enjoy your time there.😀

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2019 at 7:28 AM, tommy dee said:

the newbie is me.  I finlly got to come here.  in HANOI now and day 2 of a short escape.

First impressions : clean, no fuckin dogs around and  bustling city without cars but a shed load of bikes.  loving the food and the atmosphere at the weekend here in the old city.

Weather this mornign was super cool, yesterday mid afternoon was also cooler than Thailand.

Will post photos later but will be crap compared to the good ones from others I know.  But really happy here.  nice hotel, freindly people etc etc. 

(damn I sound like a newbie thailand 555)

edited as i was so stupid i didnt know where i was.. hanoi not saigon

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

k so i f***d up here.  we were in hanoi. 🙂 now on the river cruise hotel  last night

great scenery, superb rooms and food but shit day trip.  pissed us both off. 

never mind.  pic are better than i thought

Hahaha.... well, I mixed up places sometimes but not at that point ! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, banchang100 said:

I was in Vung Tau for 10 days, it’s a couple of hours down the river on one of the ferries from Saigon,it’s right at the mouth of the Mekong delta, 5 hours in a taxi.It’s not very touristy but there was a great little bar scene there,the Red Parrot was a favorite and Ned Kelly’s was a super little guest house with good food right opposite the ferry terminal .I remember taking out 2 million dong every time I went to the ATM.As I say not touristy but great for a few days of whoring.Anyway , I hope you enjoy your time there.😀

Was there a few months ago and in the Red Parrot most nights - stayed round the corner in The Offshore.  The mate I was with is there now avoiding Songkran.

We got the bus down as bad weather was forecast but the ferry back up on our way back to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, tommy dee said:

k so i f***d up here.  we were in hanoi. 🙂 now on the river cruise hotel  last night

great scenery, superb rooms and food but shit day trip.  pissed us both off. 

never mind.  pic are better than i thought

Saigon and Hanoi only 707 miles apart one in the South of Vietnam one in the North.

Easy mistake to make ....................NOT ! !:default_chris: ............anyway Hue is nicer than both of them ...:default_animier: ....bang in the middle.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Saigon and Hanoi only 707 miles apart one in the South of Vietnam one in the North.

Easy mistake to make ....................NOT ! !:default_chris: ............anyway Hue is nicer than both of them ...:default_animier: ....bang in the middle.

i am seriously terrible at names.  the trip was, for me, awesome.  her indoors hated the food and the cold.  made it even more funny for me.  just home.  pics tomorrow

• Thumbs Up 3

Just a "heads up" on the E visa on line application process. If you google it you got lots of sites BUT most don't give you an actual E visa, what they give you for $19 is a Letter of Invitation. When you arrive at Immigration in Vietnam you show your Letter and are then directed to an office where you pay a further  $25 for an ACTUAL visa. Their is ONE site that is run by Viet Govt Immigration service. https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn

you fill out an on line form, upload a photo of yourself (passport style) and of your passport face page. Pay on line and get your E visa sent to your email address within 3 days. Worked fine for myself and my Filipina GF. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

On 4/16/2019 at 2:24 AM, banchang100 said:

Thanks for that, great info. The ferry does look very quick and cheap

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, biggles said:

Just a "heads up" on the E visa on line application process. If you google it you got lots of sites BUT most don't give you an actual E visa, what they give you for $19 is a Letter of Invitation. When you arrive at Immigration in Vietnam you show your Letter and are then directed to an office where you pay a further  $25 for an ACTUAL visa. Their is ONE site that is run by Viet Govt Immigration service. https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn

you fill out an on line form, upload a photo of yourself (passport style) and of your passport face page. Pay on line and get your E visa sent to your email address within 3 days. Worked fine for myself and my Filipina GF. 

no e visa needed for thais or brits or many other nations.  arrive, go thru immigration.. stamp in.. done.. no money no visa.. lovely

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

no e visa needed for thais or brits or many other nations.  arrive, go thru immigration.. stamp in.. done.. no money no visa.. lovely

Maximum of 15 days. Quite strict about it.  I had to take out my laptop at immigration and show my return flight ......... one look and then straight through.

Will print a copy next time...... I arrive in Saigon or is it Hanoi .....no Da Nang ???.... :default_cheers:   Food is great in Vietnam ........ 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Maximum of 15 days. Quite strict about it.  I had to take out my laptop at immigration and show my return flight ......... one look and then straight through.

Will print a copy next time...... I arrive in Saigon or is it Hanoi .....no Da Nang ???.... :default_cheers:   Food is great in Vietnam ........ 

i liked  the food, the mrs didnt as " no sapacee"

• Haha 1