How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
forcebwithu

Health Insurance

Seeing the discussion of health insurance in the topic Kev in Thailand thought it would be good to have a topic dedicated to the subject for easier reference. 

I've been with Global Medical Insurance for a number of years. $5 million USD max and $2,500 deductible cost me $1,623 at age 61. The company was recommended to me some years ago by another expat. Good coverage at a fair price compared to other policies I looked into.

The following website has a good comparison table on various insurance policies for ex-pats. One of which is the policy I have.

The Ultimate Guide to International Health Insurance: Considerations, Companies, Policies & Pricing

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I use AA Insurance Broker here in Pattaya. Dealt with a guy called Paul, at least I think that's his name, who was very helpful in getting a policy that best suited me.

Policy is with Allianz and was renewed in January for $1,800. This policy only covers me in Asia. 

I also have health insurance through my work with GulfMed. With that policy I have to pay the first 15% when in Kuwait and the first 20% out with Kuwait. 

Good to see this thread - coming myself in June for 6 months and at 64 it's something I need to investigate and finalise.

It's a real quagmire though as to what cover to take, so many plans, so many options.

Do you take a risk with minimum cover or do you go OTT in case I have a stroke or heart attack?

Difficult for me as I have no health worries and haven't been to a GP or hospital for over 40 years. Don't even know where I'm still registered or where my medical notes are. Having said that, my notes must be an empty folder.

Sods law I'll arrive in June and something nasty will happen . . . 

• Like 2

On 4/16/2019 at 3:24 AM, forcebwithu said:

Seeing the discussion of health insurance in the topic Kev in Thailand thought it would be good to have a topic dedicated to the subject for easier reference. 

I've been with Global Medical Insurance for a number of years. $5 million USD max and $2,500 deductible cost me $1,623 at age 61. The company was recommended to me some years ago by another expat. Good coverage at a fair price compared to other policies I looked into.

The following website has a good comparison table on various insurance policies for ex-pats. One of which is the policy I have.

The Ultimate Guide to International Health Insurance: Considerations, Companies, Policies & Pricing

Thanks for posting this info.. very useful 👍🏼

2 hours ago, Britboy said:

Good to see this thread - coming myself in June for 6 months and at 64 it's something I need to investigate and finalise.

It's a real quagmire though as to what cover to take, so many plans, so many options.

Do you take a risk with minimum cover or do you go OTT in case I have a stroke or heart attack?

Difficult for me as I have no health worries and haven't been to a GP or hospital for over 40 years. Don't even know where I'm still registered or where my medical notes are. Having said that, my notes must be an empty folder.

Sods law I'll arrive in June and something nasty will happen . . . 

I understand the dilemma. 

I looked into it a few years ago. I was happy to pay the smaller stuff myself but was looking for insurance to cover the heavy lifting. 

All I looked at had insufficient maximum claims, and didn't justify the premiums being asked. 

4 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I looked into it a few years ago. I was happy to pay the smaller stuff myself but was looking for insurance to cover the heavy lifting. 

All I looked at had insufficient maximum claims, and didn't justify the premiums being asked. 

That's kind of where I'm at.

For $1,800 a year I could well be just throwing money down the drain. But if something serious does happen that I need immediate treatment for and I can't jump on a plane back to UK, it could save me thousands.

Gets me to think if something serious does happen I kind of hope it'll be instantly fatal, don't want to be a vegetable or be totally reliant on anyone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I saw some plans that I thought the opposite. Premiums weren't expensive, but the maximum coverage wasn't enough to cover more than a couple of days in a hospital. That, to me, was throwing money away.

As another poster stated, at age 66 I may very well find the premium isn't worth the coverage I now have. Plan B is setting aside money each month so that by age 66 I'm self insured with several million baht banked. That won't be enough to cover a more serious, long term medical care condition. But I'm also taking the fatalistic, but realistic attitude that we don't live forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I saw some plans that I thought the opposite. Premiums weren't expensive, but the maximum coverage wasn't enough to cover more than a couple of days in a hospital. That, to me, was throwing money away.

Not entirely the opposite of what I concluded. 

2 hours ago, ukdave51 said:

All well and good until you tick past the age of 66. then it rockets up. 

Oh well,you’re basically dead past 66 anyways,right?

Just for shits and giggles.

How much does it rocket up?

8 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Oh well,you’re basically dead past 66 anyways,right?

Just for shits and giggles.

How much does it rocket up?

I just ran the IMG quote function for age 61 to 66, using the Silver/Area 2 (excludes US coverage), $2,500 deductible plan as an example.

61 - $1,815
62 - $1,815
63 - $1,815
64 - $1,815
65 - $3,749
66 - $3,749

So the answer is, the premium more than doubles in cost. Note these quotes are for a new policy.

Looking a bit into what coverage I might have past age 65, I found info on something they call Lifetime Coverage. I'm interested in what kind of benefits that has, and at what cost, so will fire off an email asking for more details. I'll also ask what premium increases I can expect with an existing policy as I approach and pass age 65. I'll report back here with their reply.

Lifetime medical coverage is available if you are enrolled in the program by your 65th birthday and maintain continuous coverage to age 75. Prior to your 75th birthday you will receive a summary of benefits for a new plan, Global Senior Plan®, and an enrollment form for coverage. There is no additional medical underwriting. You simply need to review the benefits, and promptly complete and return the enrollment form with your premium.

• Great Info 1

54 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I just ran the IMG quote function for age 61 to 66, using the Silver/Area 2 (excludes US coverage), $2,500 deductible plan as an example.

61 - $1,815
62 - $1,815
63 - $1,815
64 - $1,815
65 - $3,749
66 - $3,749

So the answer is, the premium more than doubles in cost. Note these quotes are for a new policy.

Looking a bit into what coverage I might have past age 65, I found info on something they call Lifetime Coverage. I'm interested in what kind of benefits that has, and at what cost, so will fire off an email asking for more details. I'll also ask what premium increases I can expect with an existing policy as I approach and pass age 65. I'll report back here with their reply.

Lifetime medical coverage is available if you are enrolled in the program by your 65th birthday and maintain continuous coverage to age 75. Prior to your 75th birthday you will receive a summary of benefits for a new plan, Global Senior Plan®, and an enrollment form for coverage. There is no additional medical underwriting. You simply need to review the benefits, and promptly complete and return the enrollment form with your premium.

Jesus,it does doesn’t it.

But for 4K a year,that still doesn’t sound that bad.

$10 a day kinda thing?

Edited by Skalliwag

50 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

Jesus,it does doesn’t it.

But for 4K a year,that still doesn’t sound that bad.

$10 a day kinda thing?

Depends on your income I guess...

3,749 USD is 3,300 Euro

Divide by 12 gives 270 Euro / month . Around 11% of my pension...

Thats a lot for an insurance. Hence I dont have it, and I am not the only one. A certain amount in the bank, and 2 C.C. will have to do for first emergency.

If some serious ilness shows up, I am back to home.

If some dramatic, sudden event and I cant move....Inshallah !

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I'll also ask what premium increases I can expect with an existing policy as I approach and pass age 65. I'll report back here with their reply.

Now that will be interesting FBWY, i had Bupa top scale cover in the UK back in 2007 when aged 56 and was paying 80GBP per month. They advised me that on removal to Thailand i would have to go onto their International scheme at a cost of 300GBP pm !!! i did'nt take up the offer.

I wonder what the cost would be now.....

Sign in to follow this