Sign in to follow this  
Sherlock

Hue and its Cidatel, Hue. Vietnam.

I was quite disappointed with the Citadel , when I first visited it was only the orginal building that had survived the war that were there , on the map it showed what the other buildings would have been ... now they seem to have rebuilt the whole thing , to look old ...I couldn't tell what was original ... plus loads of huge golf carts wizzing about transporting chinese and Korean at breakneck speed ... 

Nice job, great pics. Would like to visit there one day. Certainly is on my list of Nam places to visit.

Hell of a battle took place there back in the day.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Nice job, great pics. Would like to visit there one day. Certainly is on my list of Nam places to visit.

Hell of a battle took place there back in the day.

Cheers mate.

@Glasseye Yeah a huge battle, but if your interested in battles in Vietnam, you need to check out Dien Bien Phu! That will be blow your socks off!

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I was quite disappointed with the Citadel , when I first visited it was only the orginal building that had survived the war that were there , on the map it showed what the other buildings would have been ... now they seem to have rebuilt the whole thing , to look old ...I couldn't tell what was original ... plus loads of huge golf carts wizzing about transporting chinese and Korean at breakneck speed ... 

Funny never saw any golf carts ?? ......... all the main gates were destroyed but that is about it. Walls are all original ..... inside little left and mainly rebuilt. 

I simply adored it and studied all the battlefield stuff and read the books. My favourite city in Vietnam by miles. Was also Ho Chi Minh's. Loved studying the old Mandarin culture and why it became so hated ................. Secret ...nothing to do with America ...Vietnamese heated the Chinese far far more.

Jesus did the US Army f**k up and allow so many of their soldiers to be slaughtered for underestimating the Viet Cong and NVA regulars. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Funny never saw any golf carts ?? ......... all the main gates were destroyed but that is about it. Walls are all original ..... inside little left and mainly rebuilt. 

I simply adored it and studied all the battlefield stuff and read the books. My favourite city in Vietnam by miles. Was also Ho Chi Minh's. Loved studying the old Mandarin culture and why it became so hated ................. Secret ...nothing to do with America ...Vietnamese heated the Chinese far far more.

Jesus did the US Army f**k up and allow so many of their soldiers to be slaughtered for underestimating the Viet Cong and NVA regulars. 

only there for 5 days but quickly learned the hate list goes.. Chinese, japanese, american, indian.  got that from the few i talked to in any depth.  funny as their food seems to be as much about chinese as anything else

• Like 1

I certainly noticed a difference in the Citadel from my first trip to Hue 20 years ago and my trip last November. They have rebuilt a few things, but the rest of Hue has also changed a lot in that time. It's a nice place to spend a couple of days by the banks of the Perfume River and do a few day tours from.

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

only there for 5 days but quickly learned the hate list goes.. Chinese, japanese, american, indian.  got that from the few i talked to in any depth.  funny as their food seems to be as much about chinese as anything else

They're not too fond of the old French either ............... sacre bleu !!!

Harold Wilson kept us out of Vietnam thank God. .........in fact the Vietnamese loathe most other nations and are possibly the most nationalist people on earth ......

apart from Nigel Farage's hate filled Brexit mob.

4 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Harold Wilson kept us out of Vietnam thank God. .........in fact the Vietnamese loathe most other nations and are possibly the most nationalist people on earth ......

fuck i missed the frogs out.. u r of course correct

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nampla69 said:

They're not too fond of lager louts either.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sherlock said:

@CalEden Cheers mate.

May do a Ha Long Bay thread later.

thats where i was last week.  its a brilliant and relaxing place  is ha long

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, tommy dee said:

thats where i was last week.  its a brilliant and relaxing place  is ha long

I did the thread with you in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sherlock said:

I did the thread with you in mind.

the baot we lived on , 2 nights, is brand new, 4 star and real 4 star.  well impressed.  the trips off the boat to "villages" was wank but the rest was A1.  6 course meals and buffets, they certainly kept us busy, and of course pissed too :)  a lovely suite with balcony to the waterside.  bags taken at the port and in your room when u get there.

what i loved was in 5 days no one tookus to a snake farm, a gem shop or a tailors, which surprised me as i was ready for that

Sign in to follow this