Muang Rayong

tko

2 minutes ago, boydeste said:

+1

I also would love to see more pics and stories around your life and general area.

Thankyou very much for your post.

+2

It's great info and is an area I am considering for the Thai family in the near future. Great report .... and thank you. :default_bow:

Thanks for all the comments. 

I guess I need to do some area photos.  Most of the time I just snap pics of family/friends, but I'll do some general ones over time and post them here.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, tko said:

.  30 minutes the other direction is Ban Chang, with a good sized retired Farang community, with the associated amenities.

Somehow I some what doubt that you and I have the same "associated amenities" come to mind!

But I could be wrong.

:default_071:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Somehow I some what doubt that you and I have the same "associated amenities" come to mind!

But I could be wrong.

:default_071:

I expect you're correct, now that I think about it. LOL.

Schooling is something that would be of interest to me and I know some International schools are quite expensive so what are the fees for the schools that you have looked at and is the curriculum English or American where the teaching language is in English or is it in Thai.

I came back to the UK for many reasons but one important one was that I was not really in a position to pay for International schooling at the time but am always on the look out for understanding where there are good deals in Thailand.

I did visit an international school in Rayong (think it was called Rayong Garden) but it was quite expensive even at entry level.

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Schooling is something that would be of interest to me and I know some International schools are quite expensive so what are the fees for the schools that you have looked at and is the curriculum English or American where the teaching language is in English or is it in Thai.

I came back to the UK for many reasons but one important one was that I was not really in a position to pay for International schooling at the time but am always on the look out for understanding where there are good deals in Thailand.

I did visit an international school in Rayong (think it was called Rayong Garden) but it was quite expensive even at entry level.

My daughter is attending a local Catholic girls school. A new student pays about 65KBaht for the first year for the standard program.  It comes down after the first year entry fees by about 25%.  The standard program is 50% Thai, 40% English (native speaking teachers) and 10% Mandarin (Native speaking teacher).  They also have an all English program that adds about 20KBaht to the tuition.

https://sjrenglish.weebly.com/

I cover the extra English at home, so the standard program is fine by me.  You are correct that the A level international schools are about 5 times that cost.  I knew of one before on assignment in Norway and didn't find them more effective than the program my daughter is in now, though there is probably some cachet to having that type of school in your child's records.

1 hour ago, tko said:

The standard program is 50% Thai, 40% English (native speaking teachers) and 10% Mandarin (Native speaking teacher)

Interesting. Shows the way the world is going, and that Thailand recognises it.

First photos.  After describing the very nice beaches in Ban Phe district, I realized we hadn't been there since we got back from Buriram.  Solved (from earlier today).

PMarRestaurants01.jpg

The beach.  To the left is the start of the hill going up to Ban Phe town.

PMarRestaurants02.jpg

A lonely Banana boat driver looks for customers.  He had plenty of business later.  I'm not very good at cell phone photography (blurry).

PMarRestaurants03.jpg

One of the good things about this beach is the well maintained forest canopy at the edge.  The gents at the nearby table shouted "hello" to me earlier to show that they were also drinking Sangsom, and if I ran out let them know.  As I said, a friendly lot, here.

More poorly composed photos later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, tko said:

My daughter is attending a local Catholic girls school. A new student pays about 65KBaht for the first year for the standard program.  It comes down after the first year entry fees by about 25%.  The standard program is 50% Thai, 40% English (native speaking teachers) and 10% Mandarin (Native speaking teacher).  They also have an all English program that adds about 20KBaht to the tuition.

https://sjrenglish.weebly.com/

I cover the extra English at home, so the standard program is fine by me.  You are correct that the A level international schools are about 5 times that cost.  I knew of one before on assignment in Norway and didn't find them more effective than the program my daughter is in now, though there is probably some cachet to having that type of school in your child's records.

Thanks for the info, appreciated...

So on a cool and rainy day, only a couple days before school starts, we decided to run down for lunch on Saeng Chan beach.  That's the beach we stayed at 18 years ago.

The restaurant is at the end of the beach where the Rayong river empties into the gulf of Siam.  Established 40 years ago, they apparently invented the popular Sea Bass fried in Aromatic Fish Sauce that is now found everywhere including several branches of this restaurant that have now opened in BKK, etc.

It's right on the beach.

SaengChan1_1.jpg

The river side of the restaurant (photos from inside to outside on a rainy day don't work well).  A colorful collection of boats are moored on the opposite bank.

SaengChan1_2.jpg

Saeng Chan beach is designed well, with circular breakwaters running the length of the beach.  18 years ago it was very popular, unfortunately they absolutely need a litter patrol  like Ban Phe and Mae Phim beaches to restore it.

SaengChan1_3.jpg

They're building condos all along the beach.  Maybe that expansion will convince them to clean it up.

SaengChan1_4.jpg

In the 18th century, there was a famous poet named Sunthorn Phu whose father was from Rayong.  Rayong is sometimes locally called Muang Sunthorn Phu.  The large creature in this photo is from one of his writings and is named Phra Apai Manee.  Statues of her (or it) are scattered at various intersections around the city.

SaengChan1_5.jpg

Edited by tko
spelling
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

We holidayed in Rayong back in 2015 and really enjoyed it. Out of interest, the pic of the restaurant , where is that relative to the Ban Phe pier?.

We had some awesome seafood meals there, sitting looking out to the bay with the fishing boats and their bright green lights. The mossie repellent really came in handy as well!

The restaurant on the beach is below

On 6/18/2020 at 2:05 PM, Butch said:

We holidayed in Rayong back in 2015 and really enjoyed it. Out of interest, the pic of the restaurant , where is that relative to the Ban Phe pier?.

We had some awesome seafood meals there, sitting looking out to the bay with the fishing boats and their bright green lights. The mossie repellent really came in handy as well!

The restaurant on the beach is about 4km southwest of the pier, it's in Ban Phe district but not in the town.  The other restaurant I showed on the river is in Muang Rayong, around 20 km west of Ban Phe.

• Thanks 1