How to transfer from one laptop to another?

Sherlock

Just as the title says...……………………..

I just bought a new laptop a few days ago, and would now like to find the easiest way of transferring photos from my old one to my new one.

Before anyone says to add them to a USB drive and transfer that way, im looking for other options to get the transfer done. Is it possible to transfer via a lead or over WiFi?

Answers on a postcard please...…………………….

Restore them from your back up to your new laptop.

Or if you're  planning on throwing out the old laptop, take out the hard drive first, mount it in a caddy and connect it to the new computer.  Once transferred you also have a spare external drive.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

to be fair, its easier to use a stick.  i do this quite often when repacing units.  with a PC its easier, you can put the old HD in the new PC and transfer but not laptops

Yes, simpler and easier to use a stick, but a bit more time consuming as you have to upload to the stick then download to the 2nd computer. Once you've set up the shared folder you can treat the 2nd laptop as just another external storage device.

9 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Just as the title says...……………………..

I just bought a new laptop a few days ago, and would now like to find the easiest way of transferring photos from my old one to my new one.

Before anyone says to add them to a USB drive and transfer that way, im looking for other options to get the transfer done. Is it possible to transfer via a lead or over WiFi?

Answers on a postcard please...…………………….

Dropbox. Free version.

Can usually go about 1.5 GB in one hit - rinse/ repeat as required.

• Like 1

If you have a lot of stuff to transfer, buy a suitable size USB hard drive. Start the transfer when you go to bed and the next evening start transferring to the new computer. That's by far the easiest way. Transfer to the USB had drive will be finished by each morning and the same with the transfer to the new computer. No waiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also use google drive. The free version works great and I bought the extended version for $1.99 a month and everything is automatically backed up for me in the cloud, encrypted of course.

I synced my laptop when I bought a new one and automatically, it was the same as my desktop.

How to Share Files and Printers Without HomeGroup in Windows 10:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-share-files-and-printers-in-windows-10-homegroup-alternative/

File transfer using USB-to-USB connection:

https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Driverless-Transfer-Cable-Windows/dp/B004GIGNVC

NOTE:  I have never used the above product or one like it.  In all honesty I thought computers came with USB file transfer drivers built in, but checked that and discovered differently.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Download a piece of software from any torrent seeder ( the Pirate Bay ) ... named .. or https://freefilesync.org/

FreeFileSync

It does :

a.  One Way Sync -- from a computer to another

b.  Two Way Sync - where it will replicate any differences between an entire hard drive, directory or directories ....

It is very easy to use and pretty intuitive ....

If your computers are connected through a LAN connection ... then no problems

3 hours ago, Nickrock said:

On a slightly off topic matter how would I save and transfer stuff like my passwords that win 10 has saved for me im screwed to try retrieve some of them

Are they win 10 or google saved?

When I fired up my new notebook, and added google email, all of my favorites and passwords also were moved automatically.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Are they win 10 or google saved?

When I fired up my new notebook, and added google email, all of my favorites and passwords also were moved automatically.

Don't use Google email using just about all microshite  programs