How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeb

Brit Visitor told He must get Visa for Future Visits

I cannot see where this has got a mention so far and wonder if any BM's have run into this situation themselves or know people who have.

In last Sundays Stickman Weekly, he reported the following

There have been a lot of reports in the forums and on social media recently about people getting questioned by Immigration when entering the country. Most reports come from those who have been living in Thailand on back to back tourist visas / visa waiver stamps. They are essentially gaming the system, using visas intended for short-term stays to stay long-term. But they aren’t the only ones being hassled.

There have also been reports of legitimate visitors who visit frequently (but don’t reside in the country) being stopped and questioned by Immigration also.

A 67-year old Brit retiree friend of a friend flew in to Suvarnabhumi this past week.

He visits Thailand twice a year, each time for a bit under a month.

This time, the immigration official tells him he cannot visit so often without a visa.

Said fellow replies that he thought he would get 30 days permission to stay and explains that he was a legitimate visitor.

He opens his bum bag to show the £5,000 pounds he has brought for a month’s stay. He insists that he was polite and calm.

Said Immigration officer (a female) says this is the last time he can visit without a visa and next time he must apply for a visa before he travels otherwise he will be denied entry.

That there have been many similar reports makes me wonder whether someone has instructed Immigration officers to inform frequent visitors to apply for a visa before they visit (which, strictly speaking, is not required).

Is there a number of visits at which point the computer alerts the officer to inform the traveller that they apply for a visa? Adequate funds to fund your stay, a return ticket departing the country within 30 days and a hotel booking confirmation should be enough to satisfy Immigration.

After such a long flight this is not a very nice welcome to the country.

There might be more to this story (no apersion intended to the Brit Gent or Stick) but we just don't know. Two trips a year on a valid visa waiver doesn't seem unreasonable ?? Particularly if the person in question hasn't overstayed and has complied with the law etc.

Did the Immigration officer just have a 'bad day' or should we expect more ?

OK TIT but would applying for a visa (even though it shouldn't be required) really change anything apart from generating some more income and paper work ?

(which, strictly speaking, is not required)

Strictly speaking there is no strictly speaking.

At the end of the day, like in most if not all countries, admission is at the discretion of the immigration officer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a similar warning about 4 years ago - but I was coming more than twice a year.

I think there are 2 main points from the story:

1. The Immigration Officer has discretion, so a different IO might not have taken the same action.

2. The guy wasn't denied entry. Now that IS what I'd call an unfriendly welcome. So there's no need for everyone to rush out and get visas as they'll be warned first.

I came over from HKG every month for a 3 day W.E. from 2010 till 2016.

Never had a problem. 

Now, obviously I stayed only 3 or 4 day each time. But I always carried my marriage certificate, psp of the kids with me so that, if questioned, I could answer I work in HKG but visit my kids every month.

But things in LOS can change overnight....

I was in a Visa office a few days ago leaving my Passport with them to be renewed. There was a couple in there and I am fairly sure they had been discussing this very problem which they encountered when arriving at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

I'd reckon the IO was having a bad day, total of 8 visits last year and heading over for my 4th this year soon.

Other than a few questions on my 1st 2018 visit (IO was asking about the 12 years back to back of Non B Visa's, why now a visa exempt entry.....) its been very uneventful.

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

I had a similar warning about 4 years ago - but I was coming more than twice a year.

I think there are 2 main points from the story:

1. The Immigration Officer has discretion, so a different IO might not have taken the same action.

2. The guy wasn't denied entry. Now that IS what I'd call an unfriendly welcome. So there's no need for everyone to rush out and get visas as they'll be warned first.

I wonder if some sort of note was made into the computer system when the Brit gent was told to get a visa next time?

I'm interested as I've been doing 3 trips a year for a while.

Obeyed all the rules etc like a good lil doggie 🙂

9 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I wonder if some sort of note was made into the computer system when the Brit gent was told to get a visa next time?

I suspect it was. I wouldn't take a chance it wasn't.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

All hearsay...

Besides without any disrespect you dont know anything about the fella who tried to get in , he could be on a watch list globally anything.

I wouldn't want half the misfits I saw this visit in Patts in my town put it that way ...

Edited by roomark
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

At the end, sorry, but it are the back to back visa runners who are at the origin of this kind of changes of policy by the authorities.

Same here, specially with the digital nomads. 

Some of the visa runners from here even had some problems with SGP immigration (SGP is the cheapest, easiest and most popular visa run), tired of seing people arriving in the morning and flying back in the afternoon.  

From the point of view of somebody (like me) who goes through the hassle and cost of doing things by the book, I am definitively pissed of by the "abusers" whose action may one day result in even my pensioners visa becoming more difficult to get.

1 hour ago, roomark said:

All hearsay...

Besides without any disrespect you dont know anything about the fella who tried to get in , he could be on a watch list globally anything.

I wouldn't want half the misfits I saw this visit in Patts in my town put it that way ...

Obviously not a Citizen.

Had this problem just after the last king died,old passport almost full from in n out every other month[3+3 rota offshore] for years on exempt,,i was dressed in black explained i want to pay my respects to the king,[which my and the girl at the time did in bkk],she let me in told me next time get proper visa,when i got back to uk i went to glasgow got multiple entry visa then a new passport after that,now im back on exempt visa same 3 n 3 rota i do get some looks and some take longer to process me through while having a good scan at passport,,so far ok,probably wont be long tho till told again to get ME.

Im thinking if i do get refused id fly back to dubai and hopefully fly to vietnam or cambo from there if possible,and say bye bye los for a few months or longer.

3 hours ago, fygjam said:

Obviously not a Citizen.

Me or the geezer?

I don't think any foreigner is are they? 

Posted (edited)

I had a guy counting clearly on his fingers (how its not shown on his screen god knows) visa exempt entries and days on February 6th. He was polite and I naturally was and all he said was "many entries". I agreed with a wide smile.

There have been quite a few of these cases as in OP where the officer has been a female. I have always made sure I steer clear of them and will continue to do so. After a simply unbelievable experience coming back to Heathrow that same trip with something Border Force said to me I now wonder just how much detail is held on us on those databases in general

Edited by RR007

9 hours ago, RR007 said:

I had a guy counting clearly on his fingers (how its not shown on his screen god knows) visa exempt entries and days on February 6th. He was polite and I naturally was and all he said was "many entries". I agreed with a wide smile.

There have been quite a few of these cases as in OP where the officer has been a female. I have always made sure I steer clear of them and will continue to do so. After a simply unbelievable experience coming back to Heathrow that same trip with something Border Force said to me I now wonder just how much detail is held on us on those databases in general

Yeah - I've come to that conclusion myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this