Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

Absolutely shocking about Kobe Bryant, and that his 13 year old daughter perishing in the crash as well. Just 41, a huge influence on the players today and probably the number one pro athlete in Los Angeles over the last 25 years, since Magic Johnson retired from the Lakers.

Not only an MVP and a 5 time NBA Champion, but after retiring, the man won an Oscar. His passing will be felt for a long time.

RIP

• Like 1

Yeah, like a lot of you, just stunned at this and watching all of the tributes last night pour in. Saw him one time only in 2010 here against The Warriors. What a joke!  He just " torched" them every way possible. It was unbelievable, especially seeing him on TV, then see him play in person. I believe that was Stephen Currys 1st year with the team. He just looked like he was playing "street ball" and nothing they could do to stop him. Unbelievable.

I think for most of us, we can all remember a few things in our life when something like this happens we all remember where we were....

1. 1962....When John Kennedy was assasinated, living in Los Angeles, teacher tells us all to put up our chairs and go home as he was killed. I was 9 years old. 

2.  2009...Michael Jackson dies, was at work and this guy walks over to the office and asks me if I heard the news yet about him.

3. 2020....Yesterday was at the gym, wifey calls me, says "Do you know this guy "Ko..Beee Blyant"? Said it came on her cell phone from the news in Thailand??   Do not carry my cell phone around, so 2 minutes later, guys start walking up to me and telling me this news.........Geez.....RIP to the Black Mamba.

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I think for most of us, we can all remember a few things in our life when something like this happens we all remember where we were....

1. 1962....When John Kennedy was assasinated, living in Los Angeles, teacher tells us all to put up our chairs and go home as he was killed. I was 9 years old. 

2.  2009...Michael Jackson dies, was at work and this guy walks over to the office and asks me if I heard the news yet about him.

3. 2020....Yesterday was at the gym, wifey calls me, says "Do you know this guy "Ko..Beee Blyant"? Said it came on her cell phone from the news in Thailand??   Do not carry my cell phone around, so 2 minutes later, guys start walking up to me and telling me this news.........Geez.....RIP to the Black Mamba.

Was not born yet for JFK, but I agree Michael was probably my biggest shock as well. I was visiting some family in Montreal before I was flying out for my 8 month trip, I believe he passed 6/25 and I was leaving on July 4th, through Chicago & Tokyo. There was a bit of a language barrier with my grandfather, I remember he said Michael got flown from London to L.A for treatment - what he heard was his upcoming tour was in London. My Dad always said Elvis passing was probably his biggest shock.

Its a fact that the older we get, the more celebrities we grew up with are dying. But it’s still very rare they pass away this young. For many people, Kobe’s death has surely not sunken in, it’s just that much of a tragedy. Yes, his playing career was over, but this man was a legend, with a wife and 4 daughters. 2 others that come to mind were a few months apart, Paul Walker and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Was a big fan of both, and they were around same age. But Kobe.....IMO this is on another level, and you can tell by the press coverage it’s getting. 
I still can’t believe he’s gone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Yeah, like a lot of you, just stunned at this and watching all of the tributes last night pour in. Saw him one time only in 2010 here against The Warriors. What a joke!  He just " torched" them every way possible. It was unbelievable, especially seeing him on TV, then see him play in person. I believe that was Stephen Currys 1st year with the team. He just looked like he was playing "street ball" and nothing they could do to stop him. Unbelievable.

most  "significant" moments I can think of in my lifetime are Elvis dying , Challenger explosion and 9/11  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coxyhog said:

There's quite a long list of celebrities & rich folks who have died in helicopter accidents.

One reason is probably the pressure put on the pilots (or helo charter cie) to satisfy the VIP client, and hesitating to say NO even when safety conditions are close or at the limit.

Edited by Thai Spice
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

One reason is probably the pressure upon to pilots (or helo charter cie) to satisfy the VIP client, and hesitating to say NO even when safety conditions are close or at the limit.

Yes, while it’s only been one day, some pilots are saying he should not have been flying, and it looks like spatial disorientation. When I heard witnesses say the chopper was “sputtering” before the crash, I thought it was mechanical. But the wrong move by the pilot can lead to situations they cannot recover from. 

Hopefully this tragedy will save future lives on days where visibility is reduced. Better getting there late, but alive

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Yes, while it’s only been one day, some pilots are saying he should not have been flying, and it looks like spatial disorientation. When I heard witnesses say the chopper was “sputtering” before the crash, I thought it was mechanical. But the wrong move by the pilot can lead to situations they cannot recover from. 

Hopefully this tragedy will save future lives on days where visibility is reduced. Better getting there late, but alive

28 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Stevie Ray Vaughan's helicopter took off on a dense foggy morning (1am). His pilot ignored visual flight rules. We all know the aftermath of that recklessness.

Yep, but if the pilot is too rigurous with the rules, he will likely loose his job... Not an easy situation to be in. Subject regulary discussed on Pprune.

• Great Info 1

5 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Stevie Ray Vaughan's helicopter took off on a dense foggy morning (1am). His pilot ignored visual flight rules. We all know the aftermath of that recklessness.

That was another similar incident that came to my mind also as it happened near where I was living at the time. Tragic and avoidable if the pilots had exercised better judgement and stayed on the ground until conditions improved.

15 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Only 4 years old at the time, JFK assasination is one of my first real memories....of course didn't understand the gravity of what was going on, but can shut my eyes and see it like it was yesterday, Walter Cronkite coming on the news to advise the country JFK was dead. We were at my grandparents and they had one of the rare, rare color TV's at the time....remember that piss yellow tile wall at the hospital reporters were reporting from....didn't have a clue as to why all the adults in the room at Grandma's house were crying, but they were...

JFK Jr dying was also a monumental, unforgettable where was I at the time. At home with the wife......that one was even bigger shock, amplified by fact his sister in law who was also on the plane that went down was in my "HK Circle"...outer perimeter, but in it and on first name basis. Was a shocker.

Another unforgettable moment....when Magic Johnson made his HIV retirement announcement....

Kobe, for whatever reason.....no doubt right up there. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Its a fact that the older we get, the more celebrities we grew up with are dying. But it’s still very rare they pass away this young.

Check the 27 Club, latest member I am aware of is Amy Winehouse and one of the most famous was Jim Morrison (The Doors).