Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

3 hours ago, tommy dee said:

sad, live from norwich , and then never sure if it was a hesitation, a deviation or what.  a lovely bloke IRL

The quiz of the week !! 

loved the Sale of the Century, looking back it seems so naff now ... £1 £3 and £5 questions and the prizes ..... 🙂 

RIP 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

This article has answered many questions I had about Kobe’s helicopter crash. Damn, another case of if one little thing was done differently, the accident could have been avoided

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/kobe-bryants-helicopter-likely-succumbed-to-common-danger.html

Personally I find it a bit sad and limit indecent with regard to the other victims and victims of other helicopter accidents,  that this specific accident is sensationalized by the media, due to him being a very famous person. 

But its life, I know. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Thai Spice said:

Personally I find it a bit sad and limit indecent with regard to the other victims and victims of other helicopter accidents,  that this specific accident is sensationalized by the media, due to him being a very famous person. 

But its life, I know. 

D’accord. 

31 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

But its life, I know. 

On the other hand it might well be the catalyst for further research to be undertaken with a view to trying to ensure that further accidents of a similar nature are avoided in the future.

Personally, I have only been a passenger once in a helicopter and that was a trip to see the Hoover dam and the Grand Canyon  whilst on holiday in Vegas. In the week following my return to the UK there were two fatal helicopter crashes doing exactly the same trip as me.

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

On the other hand it might well be the catalyst for further research to be undertaken with a view to trying to ensure that further accidents of a similar nature are avoided in the future

I doubt it.

This is a VIP money business, remember the football player's small plane that crashed while trying to cross the channel ? Same, plenty "grey parts" on the legal and administrative side.

Or the Leicester story ? 

Sadly nearly all those accident are due to pilot error.  Not blaming the guy, everybody makes errors, but in a chopper they are often fatal.

20 minutes ago, Jambo said:

On the other hand it might well be the catalyst for further research to be undertaken with a view to trying to ensure that further accidents of a similar nature are avoided in the future.

Personally, I have only been a passenger once in a helicopter and that was a trip to see the Hoover dam and the Grand Canyon  whilst on holiday in Vegas. In the week following my return to the UK there were two fatal helicopter crashes doing exactly the same trip as me.

I've done two , the same one as you in Vegas and one in Rio , flying down the Copa and close to the Statue of Christ ( although it was misty up there so couldn't see it well ... ) the second one was a much smaller helicopter as well ... 

Already seen a lot of people mentioning the fact that helicopters don't have a flight recorder ( black box ) so no one will now exactly what happened , maybe there will be pressure to change that ...

33 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Already seen a lot of people mentioning the fact that helicopters don't have a flight recorder ( black box ) so no one will now exactly what happened , maybe there will be pressure to change that ...

I thought I heard almost straight away his chopper did have one. Ok, maybe what I heard meant altitude data but no voice. Anyway, the article I linked above explains a lot IMO. Higher altitude above the clouds has more rules, he stayed lower and followed a major highway for a visual. But staying that low meant more fog, plus he hovered a while near another city airport to let a plane take off. That model has a ceiling of over 12,000 feet, so flying higher was doable, but Los Angeles is a huge city with so many regional airports and restrictions. But damn, for a 70 mile trip in a vessel that cruises @ 178 mph.....should have been so routine. I don’t even want to know what those 9 people were thinking the last 15 seconds or so

R.I.P Gold Cup winning trainer of Cool Dawn. Will be known little outside of the horse racing world but a remarkable man, as this obit shows (source Racing Post):

Robert Alner, who trained 1998 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Cool Dawn, died in hospital on Monday night at the age of 76.

After a successful spell as an amateur jockey, Alner took out his training licence in 1993 and enjoyed a number of big-race winners including 2005 Betfair Chase winner Kingscliff and The Listener, who represented his Dorset yard in the 2008 Irish Hennessy.

He was paralysed in a car accident in 2007 and the following year he and his wife Sally became the first couple to be granted a joint training licence in Britain, which they gave up in 2010. 

Alner is survived by Sally and their two daughters Jennifer and Louise, who is married to trainer Robert Walford. 

Walford said: "One of our owners, John Millar, is a doctor and he said it was 250-1 for Robert to last five years after his accident and evens for him to last two years, so for Robert to live for 12 years after it just shows what an amazing man he was. 

"He’s been a boss, father-in-law and inspiration to me. He was a brilliant, top-class trainer who did so well with horses that were not expensive. He was tough and had plenty of courage.

"It’s a day of mixed emotions as it’s very sad but Robert had not been particularly well in the last week and had a bad day yesterday.”

Alner provided Andrew Thornton with some of his best days in the saddle, including aboard Cool Dawn and Miko De Beauchene in the 2007 Welsh Grand National shortly after his accident. 

He told Sky Sports Racing: "It's really sad news as we were very close and he meant an awful lot to me. He was in intensive care for 101 days after his accident and people don’t do that but Robert kept battling.

"Miko De Beauchene was the most emotional winner of my career as it came six weeks after Robert had his accident. I went down to see him in hospital afterwards and it was hard to communicate with him, but to relive the success for a couple of hours meant so much.

"He was paralysed from the neck down but wouldn’t miss a race and he followed my career throughout. He’s going to be sorely missed.”

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Son Michael Douglas said his father's life "was well lived, and leaves a legacy in film that will endure for generations to come, and history as a renowned philanthropist."  

What a life! Probably in good spirits until the last minute too. I am shooting for 83 and hope I make it that far, much less 20 years after that. 

RIP Kirk  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers4Life said:

Son Michael Douglas said his father's life "was well lived, and leaves a legacy in film that will endure for generations to come, and history as a renowned philanthropist."  

What a life! Probably in good spirits until the last minute too. I am shooting for 83 and hope I make it that far, much less 20 years after that. 

RIP Kirk  

Legend...last of the greats... R.I.P

• Like 1

For those that watched “The Irishman”, Chuckie O’Brien passed at 86. He was Hoffa’s close aide and foster son, and the movie implies he drove him away to be killed. 

I wonder if the movie worsened his health. If he had nothing to do with Jimmy’s murder, it’s a hell of a thing to be accused of

20 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I don't really watch any of her shows , but very young ...I'm assuming suicide after the recent issues she has had ... RIP 

Never heard of her, but on Twitter most of the comments under her hashtag are saying the media killed her. 
Sad...RIP