Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

Ken Osmond, 'Leave It to Beaver' star who played Eddie Haskell, dies at 76

The list of shows he acted in bring back some memories.

Osmond, a native of Glendale, California, began his career as a child actor with his first speaking part at age 9 in the film "So Big," starring Jane Wyman and Sterling Hayden, followed by "Good Morning Miss Dove," and "Everything But the Truth. He also guest-starred on television series, including "Lassie," "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," "Wagon Train," "Fury," and "The Loretta Young Show."

In 1957, Osmond auditioned for the the Eddie Haskell role, which was originally intended to be a guest appearance, but those involved with the show were so impressed with Osmond's portrayal that the character became a key component of the series throughout its six-season run of 234 episodes.

When the series ended, Osmond continued working as an actor, appearing on "Petticoat Junction," "The Munsters," and a return appearance on "Lassie." He was cast in the feature films "C'mon Let's Live a Little" and "With Six You Get Eggroll," but found himself typecast as "Eddie Haskell."

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, forcebwithu said:

Ken Osmond, 'Leave It to Beaver' star who played Eddie Haskell, dies at 76

The list of shows he acted in bring back some memories.

Osmond, a native of Glendale, California, began his career as a child actor with his first speaking part at age 9 in the film "So Big," starring Jane Wyman and Sterling Hayden, followed by "Good Morning Miss Dove," and "Everything But the Truth. He also guest-starred on television series, including "Lassie," "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," "Wagon Train," "Fury," and "The Loretta Young Show."

In 1957, Osmond auditioned for the the Eddie Haskell role, which was originally intended to be a guest appearance, but those involved with the show were so impressed with Osmond's portrayal that the character became a key component of the series throughout its six-season run of 234 episodes.

When the series ended, Osmond continued working as an actor, appearing on "Petticoat Junction," "The Munsters," and a return appearance on "Lassie." He was cast in the feature films "C'mon Let's Live a Little" and "With Six You Get Eggroll," but found himself typecast as "Eddie Haskell."

He went on to leave acting behind and became a cop for the LAPD for nearly 20 years, and survived two close call shooting incidents in his police career.

RIP.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Mr Mosquito said:

I'm surprised this one didn't get a mention ....

Manchester United's European Cup-winning full-back Tony Dunne has died, aged 78.

Dunne was part of the United side who beat Benfica 4-1 at Wembley in 1968.

The Irishman, who joined United as an 18-year-old in 1960, played 535 first-team matches for the club, putting him eighth on their all-time appearance list.

He won the FA Cup in 1963 and was part of Matt Busby's title-winning squads in 1965 and 1967.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52967677

I posted it in the football thread 

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Pardon my ignorance, never heard of him. Seems to have a very similar name to La Bamba, and sang around the same era

A bit before my time mate. I just thought that some of the older buggers might want to be informed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Aqualung said:

A bit before my time mate. I just thought that some of the older buggers might want to be informed. 

His hit "Tell Laura I Love Her" was denounced by many as being sick at the time.

Of course, these days that would be a compliment. :default_clapping:

On 6/13/2020 at 1:59 AM, Golfingboy said:

Pardon my ignorance, never heard of him. Seems to have a very similar name to La Bamba, and sang around the same era

That was Ritchie Valens (Ricardo Valenzuela) and while "La Bamba" is best remembered now, his greatest hit was "Donna" and yes, that was also about love (forbidden by her father because he was a Mexican). He died on February 3, 1959 in a plane crash together with Buddy Holly and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson (The Day The Music Died).

Edited by Freee!!

4 hours ago, Freee!! said:

That was Ritchie Valens (Ricardo Valenzuela) and while "La Bamba" is best remembered now, his greatest hit was "Donna" and yes, that was also about love (forbidden by her father because he was a Mexican). He died on February 3, 1959 in a plane crash together with Buddy Holly and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson (The Day The Music Died).

Thanks, I needed that after seeing the movie a dozen times

Not my Ritchie !!!!!

22 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

By all accounts a top bloke,RIP.

But appears to have had a serious life problem:

"A GoFundMe page set up to help pay for his treatment had passed £17,000 by Tuesday afternoon, when it was disclosed he had been placed into an induced coma.

In 2016, Thorne was declared bankrupt after admitting borrowing £1m to fund his gambling addiction."

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bazle said:

But appears to have had a serious life problem:

"A GoFundMe page set up to help pay for his treatment had passed £17,000 by Tuesday afternoon, when it was disclosed he had been placed into an induced coma.

In 2016, Thorne was declared bankrupt after admitting borrowing £1m to fund his gambling addiction."

Yep pal of mine used to see him deep in  serious late night poker games at the local golf club- usually losing. Great guy apparently but he did have a problem.

Gods Left Foot - Mario Corso, 78 has died. Corso, a winger, played more than 500 games for Inter between 57 and 73, scoring 96 times as well 31 games and 6 goals for Genoa between 73 and 75. Plus 23 games  and 4 goals for Azzurri between 61 and 71. 4 times Italian Champion, twice European Cup winner with Inter.