Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

29 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Not current, but it's 5 years today since my mate Bruce K died.

RIP buddy.

His wake was one of the funniest evenings of my life. Yep RIP Bruce K ... 5 years blimey .................. hope the snakes found a good home.

• Like 1

Really shocked and saddened to see this. Liam Treadwell aged only 34 years of age, sounds depressingly like it might have been  suicide. Retired jump racing jockey, rode the winner of the Grand National, Mome at 100 to 1.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/liam-treadwell/grand-national-winning-rider-liam-treadwell-dies-aged-34/439125

Extremely talented guy who loved being part a dangerous sport forced to retire because of injury in Feb 2018.

R.I.P Liam

“Liam will forever be remembered for winning the Grand National in 2009 on the 100-1 shot Mon Mome, trained by Venetia Williams. He was a gifted horseman, valued by racehorse trainers for both this and his communication skills. He was polite, funny, kind and brave, having spoken passionately and eloquently about his mental health issues both in the press but also in our own ‘Jockey Matters’ films. It is devastating that this has happened, and our thoughts are prayers and with Liam’s family, friends and everyone who knew and supported him."

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Helooo ib it mea you loking forrr?  I kibbed you libbs a thoosand tibes beffoor. 😁

I loved her when she first appeared on the Clive James show.  What a shame she's gone. 😢

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Brilliant

“I’ll never forget it. I came in one day and I heard this guy say: ‘I’m a Jewish pirate. You know what they’re charging for sails these days? $33.72 a yard! I can’t afford to rape and pillage any more!’

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, coxyhog said:

A legend up here in East Lancashire. Especially Bacup where he was their professional playing in the Lancashire league. I'll dig out an old video when he played for Bacup v Rawtenstall. There must have been 8000 in the ground. I would have loved to have watched local cricket back then. 

• Like 2

Rawtenstall v Bacup 1949. Everton Weekes made 74 and the follow on video can be found whilst watching the one I've posted. 

Another Bacup player, Stanley Entwistle, was the caretaker at the junior school I attended back in the 70s. Woe betide you if he caught you on school premises playing football during the holidays. Cricket however was a different matter. He loved it. I didn't realise until years later what a great cricketer he had been. 

Love these old nostalgic film's. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, monkey_omelette said:

Always remember the music in A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The man was a genius. 

I was really sad to hear this news - his music for those westerns you mention was brilliant and years ahead of it's time.

Couldn't resist digging some out - some of my favourite scenes with brilliant music in all of them.

Music aside, I just love the actual ending of For A Few Dollars More. Great partnership was Clint with Lee Van Cleef. "Any trouble boy?" . . . . 

And the music in the section below in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly still gives me the tingles. Music starts about 1 min in . . . 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Once Upon a Time in the West is the best western I have ever seen. The score by Morricone is legendary. The final duel between Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson is a cinematic classic.

(Attempts at embedding unsuccessful)!

Edited by Atticus
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

Once Upon a Time in the West is the best western I have ever seen. The score by Morricone is legendary. The final duel between Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson is a cinematic classic.

It is also one of the very few non-German movies I can watch in German (Spiel mir mal das Lied vomTod).