Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

On 9/26/2020 at 1:13 AM, grayray said:

ex aussie fastbowler Brett Lee gave him CPR for a hour on the floor of the studio,but he was gone

who will ever forget his double ton in india,in oppressive heat,he had batting for awhile and went to allan border the captain said he could not gone on.border answered with a now famous quote "well f**k off and we can get a Queenslander out here" jones went to make one of Australias finest double ton in india.

shit he would have been a superstar in twenty 20 cricket

RIP jonesy

Top talent and total pro.

In the obit i read, he was so f***d from the heat he couldn't stop pissing himself or hold any fluid in. That's when he said hey,  AB, i gotta go off....and Pugs (sorry), retorted with the QLD quote 😆

The way he was dropped shortly after was savage and apparently he never got over it.

I heard it was in their hotel lobby where he had the heart attack and Brett Lee did everything he could and more to try to save him. No paramedics, docs, or ambulance for an hour is bloody shocking and is a reminder to us all that even if you're staying in the best 5* hotel, but you're in a third world city....you really need to have emergency plans if TSGD.

RIP to a truly great sportsman. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/oct/02/frank-windsor-z-cars-softly-softly-dies?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1601654988

The actor Frank Windsor has died at the age of 92, it has been announced by his agent. Windsor, perhaps best known for his role as DS John Watt in both Z-Cars and Softly, Softly, died at his home in London on Wednesday.

Windsor acted for over five decades, with his first screen credit in 1955, but rose to prominence in the BBC police drama set in Newtown, a fictionalised version of Kirkby on Merseyside.

Later in his career he appeared regularly in Casualty and Peak Practice, and his final credit was the 2004 film Between Two Women.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/oct/02/frank-windsor-z-cars-softly-softly-dies?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1601654988

The actor Frank Windsor has died at the age of 92, it has been announced by his agent. Windsor, perhaps best known for his role as DS John Watt in both Z-Cars and Softly, Softly, died at his home in London on Wednesday.

Windsor acted for over five decades, with his first screen credit in 1955, but rose to prominence in the BBC police drama set in Newtown, a fictionalised version of Kirkby on Merseyside.

Later in his career he appeared regularly in Casualty and Peak Practice, and his final credit was the 2004 film Between Two Women.

Didn't know he was still kicking,remember him well in Z Cars & Softly Softly,glad to read that he had such a good innings,RIP to a good actor.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/04/kenzo-founder-kenzo-takada-dies-of-covid-19-aged-81?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1601830082

Japan’s most famous fashion designer, Kenzo Takada, the founder of the global Kenzo brand, has died in Paris after contracting Covid-19, his spokesman said.

Takada, the first Japanese designer to gain prominence on the highly-competitive Paris fashion scene, died on Sunday in the American hospital of Paris. He was 81.

Takada’s death comes 50 years after he launched his first collection in Paris. He retired from fashion in 1999, six years after selling his eponymous brand to the luxury conglomerate LVMH, and dedicated his time to one-off projects, including a collection at the start of this year.

Takada came to France from Japan in 1965 by boat, landing in Marseille before making his way to Paris. He had planned only a short stay in the French capital, but Paris eventually became his home.

He created his first collection for women in 1970, had his first show for men in 1983 and launched his first perfume, Kenzo Kenzo, in 1988. He was particularly known for his signature floral prints.

That’s sad. He died an old man and most likely not because of Covid. 

I do think the reports need to be a bit more balanced on this subject - it just fuels the hysteria on what is a problem/illness  which affects / kills the elderly and ill people mostly. 

Most other folk who get infected survive 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, AJSP said:

I do think the reports need to be a bit more balanced on this subject - it just fuels the hysteria on what is a problem/illness  which affects / kills the elderly and ill people mostly. 

Looked pretty healthy in an interview earlier on in the year , but someone his age catching it , the odds are stacked against them .. 

1 hour ago, AJSP said:

True he was 81, but how many Japanese men live to 100-105, most in the world, isn’t it? But yes, no doubt Covid is much more serious for the elderly, if not a death sentence

• Like 1

I saw Van Halen in 1978 on a tour with Black Sabbath..... It was a great show... I was even able to see them through the massive billowing clouds of weed smoke hanging in the air at the show that night..... 

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

I saw Van Halen in 1978 on a tour with Black Sabbath..... It was a great show... I was even able to see them through the massive billowing clouds of weed smoke hanging in the air at the show that night..... 

Those were the days......lol

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 2:38 AM, Stillearly said:

On 10/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, thumper63 said:

Sad sad sad news. 

Yes indeed it is mate, what a performer and just brilliant innovative guitar playing. I have his greatest hits CD in the car and i play regularly when driving long distances, its driving music for me just like ZZTOP.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Great song, i've lost count of the many times i've sang along with mates on a night out, it was something of a cult song back in the days. RIP Johnny.

Funny story about that song. My eyes are shit, started wearing glasses at 11, finally decided to try contacts at 20, Dad got me a summer job where he worked. We always drove together, and with the sun setting late, we often had time for 18 holes. Work even had a fun men’s league.

So we take off from the shop at 3:30, pick up my new contacts at Costco, which were tough to put in, and head to golf. Before leaving, I remember everything was so sharp, every sign in Costco looked like it was in bold type.Then this song was playing on the radio, and coincidentally.... I’ve never seen more clearly in my life. Hit my first drive and was able to follow it all the way to the end, unlike wearing glasses. 

My eyes have aged, and I’ve been back to glasses for 9 years now, but I will forever remember that tune and how clearly I saw that day in 1996

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

One of my good friends from way back died recently. Knew him for almost 50 years...went to high school and university together.
Smart guy with a keen wit. In recent years struggled with some bad vices. That combined with serious congenital issues finally got him.

I live close by, and the day it happened his son called me and asked me to come over asap. There he was, laid out on the sidewalk in front of his building, with a blanket over him. Seems he fell walking back from the store and had a heart attack. I hung around until the ME arrived, "tagged and bagged" him, and then drove off.

Puts mortality in a very real perspective seeing it played out on the sidewalk.

mini-20200911_135135.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 11