Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

I used to like the obit thread on that other forum. Thought maybe we could start one here. I figured this was as good a place as any - it gets more traffic.

If off in the news thread it might not be viewed as much. I think many guys enjoyed it.

Mods feel free to dump this if one already exists or if you feel necessary move it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

• Like 1

Great thread idea. Best thing about The Daily Torygraph is the Obits now.

Wing Commander Tim Elkington, who has died aged 98, was one of the last surviving pilots who fought in the Battle of Britain, and was one of only two survivors of the RAF Hurricane Wing that operated with the Russians from the Arctic port of Murmansk.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/02/03/wing-commander-tim-elkington-fought-battle-britain-went-hurricane/

TELEMMGLPICT000187399469_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqfP94FmbsmwgNKyXhjhxis_ObPOgpWCpla92Or4kDekc.jpg

Edited by Shaksey
Add Pic
  • Like 7

Kevin Beattie was my hero - although slightly biased as I'm an ITFC fan, undoubtedly the best centre back I've even seen play live.

He sadly died in September last year - quite a shock.

Bobby Robson is quoted as saying he's the best defender to ever play under him. So much power/strength and his leap was incredible, especially as he was under 6 feet tall.

Kevin Beattie.jpg

Kevin Beattie 3.jpg

• Like 1

World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks has died at the age of 81. 

The former Stoke and Leicester City goalkeeper was part of the famous England side who lifted the World Cup in 1966. 

Banks passed away with family at his side after his health deteriorated significantly in recent weeks and he leaves behind wife Ursula and their three children Julia, Robert and Wendy.

He endured battles with cancer for many years and in recent months had been undergoing gruelling spells of chemotherapy.

GB.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ArtyGraph said:

World Cup-winning goalkeeper Gordon Banks has died at the age of 81. 

The former Stoke and Leicester City goalkeeper was part of the famous England side who lifted the World Cup in 1966. 

Banks passed away with family at his side after his health deteriorated significantly in recent weeks and he leaves behind wife Ursula and their three children Julia, Robert and Wendy.

He endured battles with cancer for many years and in recent months had been undergoing gruelling spells of chemotherapy.

GB.jpg

shit...i turned on blackpool illuminations with him and a couple of other kids after his accident..fantastic to meet him ,i was in awe

There has never been a better save that I have seen since that one from Peles header in Mexico 70

RIP..truly a world great

• Like 3

Back in 2000 I was working at the BAe plant at Woodford & I would go into Holmes Chapel from my digs in the evening for a feed & some ale.

Always got the same cab back to my digs,an old Merc limo driven by a really nice old guy.

One night he's going really slowly & I quickly realised it was because he wanted to tell me a story.

He'd picked up a fare in Stoke for a return trip to Wembley & it turned out to be Gordon Banks,going down to Wembley for the closure of the old stadium.

He said GB sat in the front & they chatted all the way down & when they got there he invited him to have lunch with him in the stadium.

It was when they were selling off all the memorabilia & the old cab driver ate lunch sat between GB & Pele with all the other surviving legends also there.

I thought it was a really nice story & showed Gordon Banks to be a really nice bloke.

& a truly great goalkeeper!

• Like 5

On 2/12/2019 at 10:47 AM, Ivan the terrible said:

shit...i turned on blackpool illuminations with him and a couple of other kids after his accident..fantastic to meet him ,i was in awe

Showing your age now Ivan (1974) 😂

Which local team did you play for? 

7 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Douglas, best known as the macaw from the Pippi Longstocking in The South Seas movie from 1970, has died aged 51. He spent his final years in a Zoo in Karlsruhe.

https://bnn.de/lokales/karlsruhe/papagei-von-pippi-langstrumpf-stirbt-im-karlsruher-zoo

Jesus Lirch , 

please tell me it's a wind up and not true . I'm absolutly gutted ! 

8 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Douglas, best known as the macaw from the Pippi Longstocking in The South Seas movie from 1970, has died aged 51. He spent his final years in a Zoo in Karlsruhe.

https://bnn.de/lokales/karlsruhe/papagei-von-pippi-langstrumpf-stirbt-im-karlsruher-zoo

55 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Jesus Lirch , 

please tell me it's a wind up and not true . I'm absolutly gutted ! 

Didn't he move to Germany because of some bizarre Swedish bureaucracy? His cage was too small for him to fly in so officials said he must be put down. The place where he was at argued that he'd been unable to fly for years and they'd neither the space or money to build the required cage. Didn't matter bigger cage or the parrot dies.

59 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Didn't he move to Germany because of some bizarre Swedish bureaucracy? His cage was too small for him to fly in so officials said he must be put down. The place where he was at argued that he'd been unable to fly for years and they'd neither the space or money to build the required cage. Didn't matter bigger cage or the parrot dies.

Interesting. Had to look that one up and found this.

'Huge outcry'

Back in 2003, the authorities decided that he would have to be put down, for lack of the proper paperwork to show that he had been imported legally from Brazil.

This caused a "huge outcry", as Karlsruhe Zoo recalled on Facebook, and 50,000 people - including Pippi Longstocking actress Inger Nilsson - signed a petition to spare his life.

As luck would have it, a former owner was able to prove that Douglas was a legal immigrant, and he lived to fly another day.

But the Swedish Board of Agriculture later ruled that the Malmö aviary was too small, and it looked like Douglas might face death once again before dozens of zoos offered him a new home.

He moved to Karlsruhe in May 2016, to be welcomed by the city mayor and a children's choir. He went on to became one of the zoo's chief attractions.

source: https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47358702

16 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Interesting. Had to look that one up and found this.

'Huge outcry'

Back in 2003, the authorities decided that he would have to be put down, for lack of the proper paperwork to show that he had been imported legally from Brazil.

This caused a "huge outcry", as Karlsruhe Zoo recalled on Facebook, and 50,000 people - including Pippi Longstocking actress Inger Nilsson - signed a petition to spare his life.

As luck would have it, a former owner was able to prove that Douglas was a legal immigrant, and he lived to fly another day.

But the Swedish Board of Agriculture later ruled that the Malmö aviary was too small, and it looked like Douglas might face death once again before dozens of zoos offered him a new home.

He moved to Karlsruhe in May 2016, to be welcomed by the city mayor and a children's choir. He went on to became one of the zoo's chief attractions.

source: https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47358702

I remember the second death threat didn't realise that the Swedes had threatened to kill him twice.