Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

4 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Robert Hunter - Grateful Dead Lyricist  - RIP Brother. Loved by so many.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ent-robert-hunter-dead-20190924-uok6meklcreanmtparhjot6num-story.html

GD.jpg

"What a long strange trip it's been"

Hunter wrote many great songs for the Dead. Followed the Grateful Dead around quite awhile before I became "responsible" so to speak. I still miss those days.

This is my all time favorite written by Robert. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Former french president Jacques Chirac, 86. Best known for blowing up a few atomic bomb in the Pacific Sea.

I would say he was more known for having refused to follow the US and UK in the Iraq war. And history has proved he was right.

Also well know for being a political animal without any scrupules and changing orientations as the wind blowed.

Was recently mentioned by Putin as being the political figure he respected most.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/26/jacques-chirac-former-french-president-dies-aged-86

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

I would say he was more known for having refused to follow the US and UK in the Iraq war. And history has proved he was right.

Also well know for being a political animal without any scrupules and changing orientations as the wind blowed.

Was recently mentioned by Putin as being the political figure he respected most.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/26/jacques-chirac-former-french-president-dies-aged-86

I suppose it depends whether you like him or not as others see him more as in the paragraph below:

Although his time as president was marked by inaction and political stagnation, and despite having left France just as divided and struggling with mounting debt, inequalities and unemployment as he had found it, his debonair persona meant that in retirement he was embraced as one of France’s favourite politicians

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I suppose it depends whether you like him or not as others see him more as in the paragraph below:

Although his time as president was marked by inaction and political stagnation, and despite having left France just as divided and struggling with mounting debt, inequalities and unemployment as he had found it, his debonair persona meant that in retirement he was embraced as one of France’s favourite politicians

Fully agree.  There are a few interesting articles around on him today.

And all confirm the general aspect of his character.  I think he was, and still is pretty well liked. Never mind the many corruption scandals, and that during his reign there was a strangely high number of "suicides" of Ministers, MP and other political persons.  He was also a well known womanizer, without much hiding it. Than again we have a different approach with regard to our politicians, with lets say a lot of tolerance if I compare with comments I see on UK politicians on the Brexit thread for instance.

From a BBC article :

"There he is as a chisel-chinned prime minister in the 1970s; later in a flared three-piece suit, announcing the creation of his Gaullist party; then as president upbraiding Israeli soldiers in Jerusalem; or glad-handing at the annual farm show in Paris.

The years have passed and no-one particularly wants to dwell on the many failings of the man. No mention in the tributes of the corruption and the flip-flops.

What remains for most is the memory of a likeable man, a man of culture (at least that was the image he cultivated), and a president who acted like a French president is supposed to - that is, projecting the permanent conviction that France, of course, is the best place in the world."

PS , the last phrase is important for us.  Let us continue to believe in this. And I do.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Ginger Baker dead at 80.

RIP

Sad news, followed Cream back in the day and his further exploits. 

Got the album ' Fresh Cream' and also the 'Blind Faith' album which probably wouldn't be allowed now due to the nudity of the young girl on the cover.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Got the album ' Fresh Cream' and also the 'Blind Faith' album which probably wouldn't be allowed now due to the nudity of the young girl on the cover.

I have Blind Faith,Disraeli Gears & Live Cream vol 1 & 2,a brilliant live album.

RIP to one of the greatest drummers who ever lived.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Scorpions had their cover banned for the 'Virgin Killer' album.

Was proper going too far but it was the 70's lol.

200459551106.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Scorpions had their cover banned for the 'Virgin Killer' album.

Was proper going too far but it was the 70's lol.

200459551106.jpg

I must admit today these wouldn't make the shops but when I first saw the video for Sia's Chandelier I almost thought the girl was naked but even though she isn't I was quite shocked that the video made it passed the TV censors etc considering the girl's age was 11.

Great video though..

43 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

"But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home."

I hope you found your way Ginger. RIP

Great song mate, i play it all the time. The Steve Winwood/Eric Clapton version, i just love it  nice and loud lol

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Great song mate, i play it all the time. The Steve Winwood/Eric Clapton version, i just love it  nice and loud lol

Let you in on a little secret Pump. I play guitar as well. (mostly acoustic, bit of electric-rhythm mainly) Taught myself how to play by ear 40 years ago. Love playing this song as well. (can't sing to save my life though) On a side note -Isn't it amazing how Winwood's voice is just as strong and spot on as it was back in the 60's?

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Let you in on a little secret Pump. I play guitar as well. (mostly acoustic, bit of electric-rhythm mainly) Taught myself how to play by ear 40 years ago. Love playing this song as well. (can't sing to save my life though) On a side note -Isn't it amazing how Winwood's voice is just as strong and spot on as it was back in the 60's?

Well done mate i'm impressed, playing the guitar is one thing that i always regret not having done when i was young knowing my love of guitar music, now i got the time i just have'nt got the motivation/concentration to do it. Steve Winwood's vocals as you say are spot on even as an aging rocker, just look at his face acknowledging Clapton's contribution at the end of the song, he's saying that was good.   

• Thumbs Up 1