Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

Ken Holtzman died at 78. One of the best Southpaws to ever pitch. I saw him pitch at Wrigley in '69. A power pitcher, leftie. Threw two no-hitters in one season which is remarkable. 

Back then there weren't many lefties around, especially of that caliber. And he ate up a ton of innings, often going into late innings or complete games (very rare now). He was an absolute workhorse, and very difficult to hit. 

RIP Ken, thanks for being part of great memories.

https://theathletic.com/5417483/2024/04/15/ken-holtzman-cubs-as-pitcher-obit/

• Sad 1

There was a poster on the Pattaya Addicts board named Don (Joker) who passed away its been reported.....He had his own tread about his time in Thailand after he retired a year or so ago....

He had been on chemo for cancer for a number of months....

Edited by fforest
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, fforest said:

There was a poster on the Pattaya Addicts board named Don (Joker) who passed away its been reported.....He had his own tread about his time in Thailand after he retired a year or so ago....

Not that same Don known as LDK elsewhere I hope.

On 4/16/2024 at 4:21 PM, fforest said:

He did some good tr s,if it's the same joker,remember reading them pre covid,R.I.P.

Sadly Dickie Betts is gone.

It is interesting that one of his sons is named Duane. The dual guitars of Betts and Duane Allman were incredible.

My favorite song remains "Whipping Post", which is probably more about the dual drummers, but still highlights the overall strengths of the band.