Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

One for the Brits probably - He passed away years ago , but just seen a pic of a Stanley Unwin's gravestone , thought it was brilliant 🙂 

F5B6B8D5-0430-49B7-B6C8-297162DECB76.jpeg

Went to see the Small Fakers(Small Faces tribute band)do Ogdens Nut Gone Flake recently.Stanley Unwin's grandson performed his bit in it resplendent in his grandads royal regalia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBren6gJVs

• Haha 1

People in baseball say 3,000 hits guarantees you the Hall of Fame( except steroid users). I looked it up just now, Bill Buckner had 2,715 and received only 2.1% on the 1996 ballot, which eliminated him from future votes. Could not believe this. Many inferior players have started at 20% and hung around on ballots for close to the 15 year max, and finally reach the 75% required. Buckner was either a victim of politics, or really was punished for that one play in the above video. 

Real shame....RIP

Edited by Golfingboy

9 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Buckner was great, saw him as a Dodger in LA one game.  Sad that he had to live the rest of his life with that one error in the WS. 

Played with the Cubs for many years. Won a batting title one year. Tough s.o.b. and all round good guy.

Sad he had to suffer with that nasty dementia. That stuff is horrible. Same thing that got Robin Williams.

8 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

People in baseball say 3,000 hits guarantees you the Hall of Fame( except steroid users). I looked it up just now, Bill Buckner had 2,715 and received only 2.1% on the 1996 ballot, which eliminated him from future votes. Could not believe this. Many inferior players have started at 20% and hung around on ballots for close to the 15 year max, and finally reach the 75% required. Buckner was either a victim of politics, or really was punished for that one play in the above video. 

Real shame....RIP

He is Hall of Fame in my book. Rarely struck out. A brilliant hitter.

Frank Lucas, drug trafficker who was the inspiration for American Gangster, passed away at 88.

As much as I enjoyed the movie and Denzel Washington’s portrayal, have heard it was heavily fictional. The real kingpin was his “cousin” Ike Atkinson, in the movie he is the army guy who has a nightclub in Thailand

BF81CBF4-897B-497C-879D-095337678134.jpeg

On 6/1/2019 at 1:19 PM, Starshine said:

Screenshot_20190601-181600_upday.jpg

R.I.P

Driving 237 km/h. Killing his cousin and severly injuring another passenger in the process. Thank goodness he didn't hit another car or worse a bus. 

RIP to his cousin.

Reyes? May he rot in hell for his stupidity.

15 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Frank Lucas, drug trafficker who was the inspiration for American Gangster, passed away at 88.

As much as I enjoyed the movie and Denzel Washington’s portrayal, have heard it was heavily fictional. The real kingpin was his “cousin” Ike Atkinson, in the movie he is the army guy who has a nightclub in Thailand

BF81CBF4-897B-497C-879D-095337678134.jpeg

Good movie though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Former UEFA president (1990-2007) Lennart Johansson, 89. 

He was a really nice guy.

Had the pleasure of meeting him at Portman Road in the 2001 season, he was our guest in the boardroom and directors box. We'd got promoted in the playoffs and finished 5th in the premier league, so qualified for what was then the UEFA Cup. As past winners of the UEFA Cup and after a storming first season back in the premiership Mr Johansson honoured us with a visit to our first home game in the UEFA Cup. A real gentleman and was really interested in the history of ITFC, Alf Ramsay and Bobby Robson.

Rest in Peace.

• Like 4