Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

57 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Mac put out a ton of music.  RIP

Saw him when he toured the UK with the Grateful Dead 1970...saw him twice.

Thought he was wonderful in small venues .....got lost in open air with the dead.

Unique American Bayou talent ..(am I right Glasseye?? Know he was Orleans) ?? 

Ws it also Dr John and the Night Trippers I seem to remember ...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Saw him when he toured the UK with the Grateful Dead 1970...saw him twice.

Thought he was wonderful in small venues .....got lost in open air with the dead.

Unique American Bayou talent ..(am I right Glasseye?? Know he was Orleans) ?? 

Ws it also Dr John and the Night Trippers I seem to remember ...

Read the obit link on the previous page, interesting. 😉

• Thumbs Up 2

Saw Edinburgh play in the flesh a fair few times at Spurs. Not the most skillful, but  solid defender and a real fan's player, gave absolutely everything. Would put most of the current Man U starting XI to shame (were they to acquire some 😁)

John Gunther Dean, a German Jew who escaped the Nazi's as a child refugee reaching the USA in early 1939, passed away on June 6th aged 93.  

Dean served as US Ambassador to Thailand 1981 - 1985.

As well as representing the United States interests in Thailand he fulfilled the same role in four other nations, under four US Presidents. Before his diplomatic career he served in the US Army, and interestingly served again as Deputy Commander, Military Region 1, South Vietnam in 1972.

It was his next posting, in 1974, that he is most remembered for though, as US Ambassador to The Khemer Republic, and the image of him carrying the embassy flag under his arm as he was evacuated with Pol Pot's butchers within spitting distance of Phnom Penh just a year later is an era defining shot representing a sense of personal failure that haunted him for the rest of his life - 

“I failed,” he told The A.P. in 2015. “I tried so hard. I took as many people as I could, hundreds of them, I took them out, but I couldn’t take the whole nation out.”

A good, decent, brave man, overwhelmed and overruled by the politics and public opinion back home resulting from the Vietnam War that meant the US Govt, nor it's citizens understandably had no appetite for any more interventions in South East Asia.

RIP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gunther_Dean

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/obituaries/john-gunther-dean-dead.html

merlin_156251826_c15e4ccc-6c21-4220-93e2-200db53b0b49-superJumbo.jpg

On 5/28/2019 at 8:19 AM, Yessongs said:

Buckner was great, saw him as a Dodger in LA one game.  Sad that he had to live the rest of his life with that one error in the WS. 

Just getting caught up with this thread. My dad was a Highway Patrolman in Northern California for nearly 30 years. In the 70's while working out of the Solano County office in Vallejo, then later, Fairfield, the secretary who worked there was Bill Buckner's mom. He was a great player, fantastic hitter, and unfortunately, for all of his career highlights and stats, that one error in the '86 World Series, was the lasting impression that he was most remembered by.

However, I would choose to remember him in this video from Opening Day at Fenway Park in 2008. By then, all was forgiven and even though past sports champions from Boston's sports teams had already been introduced, the last and longest ovation was saved for Bill Buckner.

The power and love from sports fans for one of their own.  A fitting remembrance

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, Horizondave said:

Beth Chapman (wife of Dog the Bounty Hunter) dies.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/beth-chapman-dog-bounty-hunter-dead-dies-51-1203253451/

I find this sad as I thought she was a great character and very watchable on the TV in those fly on the wall programs.

Yeah I saw that trending earlier, always used to enjoy the show. I know some of the people in it had issues and there were controversies but Dog himself is a great example of how people can turn their life around from bad to good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, Horizondave said:

Beth Chapman (wife of Dog the Bounty Hunter) dies.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/beth-chapman-dog-bounty-hunter-dead-dies-51-1203253451/

I find this sad as I thought she was a great character and very watchable on the TV in those fly on the wall programs.

I really liked the show, but sometimes the characters got on my nerves. I found Beth had a bit of a power trip a few times, especially talking to some 90 pound Hawaiian meth heads already in handcuffs. They had a physical job and the boys had decent physiques, but IIRC they were all smokers, doesn’t go together. Dog swore a heck of a lot, but was a Christian and never used the Lord’s name in vain. I’ve always found that hypocritical - if you don’t use foul language, don’t swear at all

Also intrigued me that Dog could never carry a firearm because of his record, he had a very dangerous job. You’d think eventually with his fame, a favour would be called in and get that overturned

Anyway, RIP Beth, 51 is too damn young

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 5:15 AM, nampla69 said:

Saw him when he toured the UK with the Grateful Dead 1970.

You saw the Dead in 1970? Lucky bastaad. I didn't have the pleasure of seeing them until 1983 and again in the 80's a few times. Then I followed them around in the early 90's on the East Coast. 23 concerts later I had to give it rest as I needed to get a career and my Dead Head days came to a close. Then when Jerry passed, my interest diminished even more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I really liked the show, but sometimes the characters got on my nerves. I found Beth had a bit of a power trip a few times, especially talking to some 90 pound Hawaiian meth heads already in handcuffs. They had a physical job and the boys had decent physiques, but IIRC they were all smokers, doesn’t go together. Dog swore a heck of a lot, but was a Christian and never used the Lord’s name in vain. I’ve always found that hypocritical - if you don’t use foul language, don’t swear at all

Also intrigued me that Dog could never carry a firearm because of his record, he had a very dangerous job. You’d think eventually with his fame, a favour would be called in and get that overturned

Anyway, RIP Beth, 51 is too damn young

I admired how after they had caught the ice-heads they always switched to good-cop mode and really seemed like they wanted to help them as much as they could, always a ciggie offered and often advice to trust the Lord.

South Park did a brilliant episode where Cartman was Dog.

23 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

You saw the Dead in 1970? Lucky bastaad. I didn't have the pleasure of seeing them until 1983 and again in the 80's a few times. Then I followed them around in the early 90's on the East Coast. 23 concerts later I had to give it rest as I needed to get a career and my Dead Head days came to a close. Then when Jerry passed, my interest diminished even more. 

Didn't see them until the mid-80's, but listened from early on.

Saw Jerry's last show at Soldier Field.

• Like 1