Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

John McCririck R.I.P

Feel conflicted here as met the guy a few times , what he should be remembered for is as an excellent investigative journalist on the long defunct Sporting Life where he excelled. 

How he is remembered is as the cartoon betting pundit( he went bust as a bookie , most of his TV betting output was nonsense) or God forbid a reality TV "star"

He was so much better than that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/48881290

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

John McCririck R.I.P

Feel conflicted here as met the guy a few times , what he should be remembered for is as an excellent investigative journalist on the long defunct Sporting Life where he excelled. 

How he is remembered is as the cartoon betting pundit( he went bust as a bookie , most of his TV betting output was nonsense) or God forbid a reality TV "star"

Saw a picture of him a little while back and he had lost a ton of weight,an unnatural amount,and he did look ill.

RIP

16 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Saw a picture of him a little while back and he had lost a ton of weight,an unnatural amount,and he did look ill.

RIP

Listened to Talksport while driving to golf today and they did a piece on him.

Apparently it was after Channel 4 decided to revamp their horse racing programme and dispensed with his services that he went downhill quickly. It hit him hard.

Had a great wife behind him apparently, who looked out for him in every aspect of his life.

I'm not into horse racing at all, but he was a great personality and a good watch, particularly when he was on general programmes not related to horse racing. Controversial sometimes, he called a spade a spade, was very blunt at times and upset a few people, but he just said things as he saw them. Nowt wrong with that.

Rest in peace John.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

R.I.P long time Secrets BM and a friend The Simulator Guy was his name on the Secrets and FLB boards. Took him to the Philippines and Cambodia with our group some here will know him most will not pretty much kept to himself. 

Sad news.

12 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

John McCririck R.I.P

I know, one is not supposed to say bad things about the dead

I  met him just the one time at Aintree for the Friday of the Grand National meeting when I took a party of 100 or so guests from my region to celebrate the sesquicentennial anniversary of the insurance company I worked for at the time.

Aintree's hospitality and organisation was wonderful.

McCririck was not.

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

I know, one is not supposed to say bad things about the dead

I  met him just the one time at Aintree for the Friday of the Grand National meeting when I took a party of 100 or so guests from my region to celebrate the sesquicentennial anniversary of the insurance company I worked for at the time.

Aintree's hospitality and organisation was wonderful.

McCririck was not.

He was a totally different person off camera. I saw he behind the scenes one afternoon at York races . While all the other journalists were tucking into lunch, he was preparing, a serious guy, very different from the TV charactured persona. 

I respected his pre TV work as a print journalist but can understand how you formed the impression you did. 

Edited by Lemondropkid

On 7/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, Yesitisdakid said:

R.I.P long time Secrets BM and a friend The Simulator Guy was his name on the Secrets and FLB boards. Took him to the Philippines and Cambodia with our group some here will know him most will not pretty much kept to himself. 

Sorry to hear that. I remember him posting. Not sure if I met him.

23 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Ross Perot

Thought he was a bit quirky but I liked "some" of his platform . I voted for Clinton instead in 92 and 96. Hence George H.W. Bush and Bob Dole on the other side. :default_bad:

RIP Ross

~I am an independent voter not affiliated with any party. 

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 4:33 AM, Yesitisdakid said:

Very sad indeed. Spent a fair bit of time with Michael over the past couple of years.

RIP the beard. 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, Glasseye said:

I had no idea, until I read his obit in the newspaper the other day, that he founded and made his fortune from EDS!

I guess I just assumed that being a rich, old fashioned guy from Texas, he was an oil man.

3 hours ago, Shaksey said:

I had no idea, until I read his obit in the newspaper the other day, that he founded and made his fortune from EDS!

I guess I just assumed that being a rich, old fashioned guy from Texas, he was an oil man.

Yep. The guy ate up enough votes to allow Slick to get elected.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:46 AM, Steelers4Life said:

Thought he was a bit quirky but I liked "some" of his platform . I voted for Clinton instead in 92 and 96. Hence George H.W. Bush and Bob Dole on the other side. :default_bad:

RIP Ross

~I am an independent voter not affiliated with any party. 

Same, but usually go Dem - especially recently.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, Golfingboy said:

Boxer Pernell Whitaker, a 4 division world champ, gone at 55 from a car accident. Damn

RIP

What a surprise to hear of this. Whitaker was a tremendous boxer, one of my favorite fighters of the 80's and 90's. Skilled, fast, great movement, very good defense, he could make opponents look silly in the ring.

RIP

• Like 1