Boxing

Stillearly

2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

No way Khan takes that fight.

I loved Nigel Benn, probably favourite boxer, you knew there would be fireworks one way or another. Connor seems to have the same brutal punching power.

Depends how much he gets offered I reckon.......once last dance and all that.......

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

No way Khan takes that fight.

I loved Nigel Benn, probably favourite boxer, you knew there would be fireworks one way or another. Connor seems to have the same brutal punching power.

I met Nigel Benn on a train from Birmingham to London. We were all on route to watch some Mickey Mouse Cup Final ( Daf Trucks?) at Wembley. My recollection was that he was a really nice guy.

Boxing was so much more interesting in those days. I never watch anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, misteregg said:

I had the unfortunate experience of watching the Triller Show featuring Evander Holyfield two weeks ago.

Somebody please stop these virus shows. 

Just caught it on YouTube. He hardly got touched and fell through the ropes. What can I say?????

Father Time is undefeated, try as we may, you can’t turn back the clock. Especially pushing 59, he could have been killed. Does he look good for 59? Absolutely, but reflexes just can’t be there anymore. The venue had to be changed because California would not license him. 

Sad that people actually pay money for these events. I miss the days growing up with Tyson(yes really), Lennox, young Evander, Riddick Bowe, Arturo Gatti, Roy Jones……man there was some talent, and entertaining fights. And I was too young to remember Ali, Shavers, Hearns, Hagler, etc….Boxing will never be the same 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Starshine said:

Lol...Joshua beaten...overrated for a long time...Usyk a class act

Still think Joshua could beat him in a rematch, for some unbeknown reason he tried to outbox him, that was never gonna work out. He needs to get stuck in use his size, be more aggressive and basically have a brawl with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sangsom said:

Still think Joshua could beat him in a rematch, for some unbeknown reason he tried to outbox him, that was never gonna work out. He needs to get stuck in use his size, be more aggressive and basically have a brawl with him.

Yep, Usyk is a brilliant boxer, how to beat him at heavyweight would have to be go in and bully him, overpower him, use the weight advantage, blow him away.

Joshua now beat by a fat Mexican and a Cruiserweight.  

Fury would and will beat both.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Kell Brook beats Amir Khan with the referee stopping the fight in the sixth round. Both fighters now talking about retirement. Apparently these two have been baiting each other for nearly 20 years but have only now got around to actually fighting each other. Khan has been washed up for years, that's his sixth defeat now. 

Pretty sad state of affairs when a couple of washed up boxers is about all British boxing can build up as a big fight. Apart from Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua I'd struggle to name anyone else decent we have. Not like the days when we had fighters like Benn, Eubank, Lewis, Calzaghe and so on,genuinely world class. 

Used to love and follow boxing a lot, but now have very little interest in it. Don't help that every fight is PPV and about £30 or more. Was great when everything was free on ITV. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, galenkia said:

So Kell Brook beats Amir Khan with the referee stopping the fight in the sixth round. Both fighters now talking about retirement. Apparently these two have been baiting each other for nearly 20 years but have only now got around to actually fighting each other. Khan has been washed up for years, that's his sixth defeat now. 

Pretty sad state of affairs when a couple of washed up boxers is about all British boxing can build up as a big fight. Apart from Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua I'd struggle to name anyone else decent we have. Not like the days when we had fighters like Benn, Eubank, Lewis, Calzaghe and so on,genuinely world class. 

Used to love and follow boxing a lot, but now have very little interest in it. Don't help that every fight is PPV and about £30 or more. Was great when everything was free on ITV. 

Was actually a really good fight to watch, I got my 20 quids worth.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:27 AM, galenkia said:

So Kell Brook beats Amir Khan with the referee stopping the fight in the sixth round. Khan has been washed up for years, that's his sixth defeat now. 

Pretty sad state of affairs when a couple of washed up boxers is about all British boxing can build up as a big fight. Not like the days when we had fighters like Benn, Eubank, Lewis, Calzaghe and so on,genuinely world class. 

Don't help that every fight is PPV and about £30 or more. Was great when everything was free on ITV. 

As soon as Khan is mentioned, I cannot help but think of his glass jaw. Man was blessed with tremendous speed & skills, but the way he hits the canvas from a single shot……tragic. He’s not the only one though, one of my favourites Roy Jones, was exposed by Tarver and others much later on in his career. Guy had simply never gotten hit because he saw everything coming. I’ve researched why some fighters have better chins, and while there’s no clear cut answer, I think it’s something you’re born with. Nothing to do with pain tolerance, it’s more how your head is screwed onto your neck I’m afraid

I agree 100% boxing plain sucks these days…..where is the talent, and excitement to boot? And the man who made more money than everyone else by far……..is Mayweather??? Just makes my blood boil. If I had £100M in the bank, I still would not fork over £75 for a Floyd PPV. I understand a fighter wanting to keep his marbles and not endure punishment, but hey, it’s the fight game and that’s what made the 70’s,80’s,90’s so great. It’s great to see guys with imperfections, who lose the odd war or 2, who demonstrate heart(Fury) and don’t just cruise to victory running away from blows. Canelo, Manny and GGG are 3 guys I loved watching, though

It’s sad what boxing has become, and I don’t see it returning to its glory days. If I do buy a PPV or head to the pub for a fight, hate to say 95% chance it will be for UFC

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those who didn’t hear, UFC HW Cain Velasquez is being held without bail, for attempted murder. When I first heard, I was like “what an idiot”.

Then I heard the whole story. A man was accused of molesting Cain’s 4 year old son, and released back to his home with few conditions. Cain took the matter into his own hands, chased the guy, rammed his car, then shot at him but hit his stepfather in the arm, instead. GoFundMe had plenty of donations for him, but shut down the campaign because they cannot endorse support for a violent crime. 

What the f—k is the world coming to? Did Cain go too far? In legal terms, yes, but what if it was your son? One comment summed it up- leave both of them in jail, in the same cell

E2DE0942-3779-45D6-A989-1DE351CB5B22.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

• 1 month later...