What are you reading?

Al McReady

On 11/9/2021 at 3:51 AM, andycoll said:

Just started this latest one from one of my favorite authors.

the-wisdom-of-crowds-book-three.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendation. A new author for me, didn't really think fantasy was my bag but..

Picked this up in my local Oxfam shop for £3, absolutely brilliant!!! Read the first 150 pages off the bat. Not fine literature but great story telling and totally engrossing👍

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was released earlier this week

I've just finished listening to it on audiobook and while I've always really liked Michael Connolly's books' particularly Bosch - this book is outstanding.

Michael Connolly at the top of his game.

There are reviews calling it a masterpiece and I wouldn't argue with that at all.

Highly recommended for Christmas reading or listening etc

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:13 PM, Zeb said:

John Le Carre's final book - Silverview

Julian Lawndsley has renounced his high-flying job in the City for a simpler life running a bookshop in a small English seaside town. But only a couple of months into his new career, Julian's evening is disrupted by a visitor. Edward, a Polish émigré living in Silverview, the big house on the edge of town, seems to know a lot about Julian's family and is rather too interested in the inner workings of his modest new enterprise.

When a letter turns up at the door of a spy chief in London warning him of a dangerous leak, the investigations lead him to this quiet town by the sea . . .

Silverview is the mesmerising story of an encounter between innocence and experience and between public duty and private morals.

In this last complete masterwork from the greatest chronicler of our age, John le Carré asks what you owe to your country when you no longer recognise it.

?dm=0UY2E0RC

After seeing this I requested it from the library. Finally arrived and am finding it a very enjoyable read. Very British. A pity we will see no more from him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andycoll said:

This one had a right up in the books section of one of our national rags. I will have to put a hold request from the library for it.

Got it from the library as well. Read a review of it in the Sunday Times a little while ago and it sounded interesting. It's based on a true story and the author, a British /Somalian lady, her father knew the innocent man accused of murder. Decent read so far. 

1 hour ago, andyajn said:

Are they worth reading?

They are brilliant series if detective fiction set in a historical background is the sort of read that appeals to you.

For me the first published in the series March Violets is the weakest but from thereon in, they are a fantastic read.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

They are brilliant series if detective fiction set in a historical background is the sort of read that appeals to you.

For me the first published in the series March Violets is the weakest but from thereon in, they are a fantastic read.

I'll give them a go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting that the excellent Bernie Gunter Series by Philip Kerr is raised.

I've just finished listening on audiobook to William L Shirer's - 

End of a Berlin Diary 

One review -

William Shirer with his return to Berlin after its fall and occupation, in his absence of a mere few years, is to witness the reaping of the whirlwind.

A total transformation awaited him in the total destruction of a familiar city, a society and a political system that brought exactly that to most of its neighbours.

Now he will witness the survivors at the Nuremberg Trials,the ruins of a proud city and its people's attempts to survive a bitter and murderous defeat.

It is an anti-climatic climax of the most sobering kind and filtered through the keen intelligence of someone who was so perceptive about the Whole Situation in 1934, an eyewitness and one whose finger was on the pulse even then, this is the sort of first-hand account that is a rarity.

3779837.jpg

Written in 1947 it is still as fresh as the day it was written. The audiobook was produced in 2020.

Reveals a lot of things I was never aware of

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3779837-end-of-a-berlin-diary

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13360.William_L_Shirer

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

Interesting that the excellent Bernie Gunter Series by Philip Kerr is raised.

I've just finished listening on audiobook to William L Shirer's - 

End of a Berlin Diary 

One review -

William Shirer with his return to Berlin after its fall and occupation, in his absence of a mere few years, is to witness the reaping of the whirlwind.

A total transformation awaited him in the total destruction of a familiar city, a society and a political system that brought exactly that to most of its neighbours.

Now he will witness the survivors at the Nuremberg Trials,the ruins of a proud city and its people's attempts to survive a bitter and murderous defeat.

It is an anti-climatic climax of the most sobering kind and filtered through the keen intelligence of someone who was so perceptive about the Whole Situation in 1934, an eyewitness and one whose finger was on the pulse even then, this is the sort of first-hand account that is a rarity.

3779837.jpg

Written in 1947 it is still as fresh as the day it was written. The audiobook was produced in 2020.

Reveals a lot of things I was never aware of

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3779837-end-of-a-berlin-diary

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13360.William_L_Shirer

This is one I need to read - I read his "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" many years ago and really enjoyed it, this guy was on the spot for all of this history...

Arctic Chill by Icelandic writer Arnaldur Indridason. 

Set in an Icelandic winter it is about a half Thai boy found dead. Gripping stuff set in a bleak, poorer immigrant area of Reykjavik.

3322382._UY400_SS400_.jpg

Edited by Atticus
Spelling
  • Like 1

Most of the way through this, one. Well written historical fiction, bought it as  a make weight in a buy one get one half price offer. Gets glowing reviews on the cover, that I don't think it quite justifies.

Would do for light holiday reading but not sure I'd recommend it too strongly

image.png