What are you reading?

Al McReady

On 9/11/2018 at 3:37 PM, Krapow said:

Haven't read anything in ages, to my shame.

Used to be a prolific reader. 

Don't seem to have the time. Have to make time.

I picked up Q Magazine's Legends Series on Paul Weller a couple of days ago. It's a whole magazine about him going back to his Jam days , featuring loads of old interviews and right up this year.  Good stuff.

2 minutes ago, Punter said:

I picked up Q Magazine's Legends Series on Paul Weller a couple of days ago. It's a whole magazine about him going back to his Jam days , featuring loads of old interviews and right up this year.  Good stuff.

Is it online?

I've just picked up for 1p and £2.80 postage on Amazon, "The  Last Executioner" which is the memoirs of Thailand's last prison executioner. A friend recommended the book while I was on holiday and I was fascinated when he told me the Last Executioner used to be a rock musician in Pattaya before he took up his new career. I haven't started reading the book yet, but I think I'll enjoy reading that bit.

34 minutes ago, Punter said:

That sounds very interesting. Do you have time to tell us a bit more please?

Jordan is a Canadian psychologist.

This book is a 'self-help' book he has written based on his practice. It's 12 rules are based on principles derived from psychology, biology, literature, maths and religion.

It is a contradiction to modern culture and it's new pseudo-scientific view of the world, such as the view that 'masculinity is toxic'.

It's a really enjoyable read.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2018 at 3:37 PM, Krapow said:

Haven't read anything in ages, to my shame.

Used to be a prolific reader. 

Don't seem to have the time. Have to make time.

Same here. Apart from stuff on facebook, forums and the odd look at my car maintenance manual, that's about it. 

2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

You need to read. Stimulate the mind. 

My Son's heavily into youtube educational stuff. Especially the Cosmos. Watch it with Him every night. Amazing what you can pick up, even at my age.

We don't watch UK tv it's seriously depressing. 

A book by Ted Powell, a former Cambridge academic and senior solicitor.  He has spent over five years researching and writing a book called 'King Edward VIII An American Life'.  Not just his affair and marriage to Mrs Simpson but his devotion to all things American. This love of woman and country would have had a profound effect on the United Kingdom if he had remained on the throne.

We British only really know the bare bones of the events which ended with a constitutional crisis and Edward's abdication.  But as the CBS Radio raconteur Paul Harvey might have said ' Here is the rest of the story!'  The sources for the book are largely contemporary reporting in American newspapers. Along with film stars such as Rudolph Valentino and baseball greats like Babe Ruth, the Prince of Wales was always headline news in the United States from 1924 onwards.  But the British press was censored from mentioning all but the very briefest details.  Certainly not any scandal!! Official Government papers concerning King Edward VIII are still state secrets.

Although the author was not to know it when he began his research this story of events 80 years ago and more has captured the very 'zeitgast' of 2018 with the romance and marriage of Prince Harry and his showgirl Meghan Markle.

I have no doubt at all that the rights to this book will be snapped up very quickly after it is published in the US this autumn. In a couple of years time it will be appearing on screen in one form or other.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:19 AM, dcfc2007 said:

Jordan is a Canadian psychologist.

This book is a 'self-help' book he has written based on his practice. It's 12 rules are based on principles derived from psychology, biology, literature, maths and religion.

It is a contradiction to modern culture and it's new pseudo-scientific view of the world, such as the view that 'masculinity is toxic'.

It's a really enjoyable read.

Thanks for your reply. Coincidentally, I've just seen this recommended in Mike Matthew's "Little Black Book of Workout Motivation", which is also a great and inspiring read.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m reading Life 3.0 by Max Tegmark. Interesting read. These days I keep everything I read up in the cloud, and can pull any of it down onto my phone for reading. Probably what I do most of the time with my phone.

And reading assorted trash and nonsense as well. 

Edited by drifter

• 3 months later...

So, after having heard a lot about what is in this book or not, and how it can be interpreted, and having plenty time available now I decided to see by myself.

20190112_125100-768x1024.thumb.jpg.589e8588f87eaa75fe2de3133b881243.jpg

Needless to tell you that in a Balinese bookshop, a Balinese cashier, and a few Aussies near the cashier, you get a few strange looks....

PS : Please note it is rated as a bestseller .........

• Like 2