What are you reading?

Al McReady

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the Infinite Timeline series. Some books were very good, others so so.

I was looking forward to the release of the final book in the series, Singularity, as I was curious how the author would bring the three timelines together in the final book. Have to say I was quite disappointed.

About halfway into the book the author interjected himself by name into the story. I could understand what he was going for, but it was distraction and the storyline would have worked without him as one of the characters.

The above is why it's a bad idea for authors to write themselves into the story, other than a brief cameo appearance (Clive Cussler comes to mind as an author that successfully did that).

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1y4ee3.jpg

John Sandford - Dark Angel (Letty Davenport #2) (2023)

Letty Davenport, the tough-as-nails adopted daughter of Lucas Davenport, takes on an undercover assignment that brings her across the country and into the crosshairs of a dangerous group of hackers.

Letty Davenport’s days working a desk job at are behind her. Her previous actions at a gunfight in Texas—and her incredible skills with firearms—draw the attention of several branches of the US government, and make her a perfect fit for even more dangerous work. The Department of Homeland Security and the NSA have tasked her with infiltrating a hacker group, known only as Ordinary People, that is intent on wreaking havoc. Letty and her reluctant partner from the NSA pose as free-spirited programmers for hire and embark on a cross country road trip to the group’s California headquarters.

While the two work to make inroads with Ordinary People and uncover their plans, they begin to suspect that the hackers are not their only enemy. Someone within their own circle may have betrayed them, and has ulterior motives that place their mission—and their lives—in grave danger.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Nice- did you get to meet the author?

No, bought it through Waterstones shop in town.They get quite a few signed copies. Also bought Rob Halfords signed autobiography there, plus the Harlan Coben book I just read, though the picture is a stock internet one.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, andycoll said:

Finally managed to get this book after Galenkia mentioned it. After the first few pages I didn't think I would like it but then I got in to it and finished it over two days. 

the-satsuma-complex-9781398523647_lg.jpg

I really enjoyed it mate.

• Thumbs Up 1

2023 novel from the great Walter Mosley, just picked up from my local libary.

Still knocking out the books at aged 71 !!! Haven't felt the recent ones have been that great but still it's Mosley🙂 Book 2 in a series with the central character King Oliver.

image.png

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 3

Rereading Bangkok Days...read it when I lived in Bangkok over 10 years ago. Now it brings a lot back as it was written at the same time I hung out at some of the same locales...the author has some poignant insights on life in the City of Angels.

51NNnTzeHtL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

. . .

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

Rereading Bangkok Days...read it when I lived in Bangkok over 10 years ago. Now it brings a lot back as it was written at the same time I hung out at some of the same locales...the author has some poignant insights on life in the City of Angels.

51NNnTzeHtL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

. . .

Loved his portrayal of expats and expat society, at that time- a very funny book.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thumbs Up 1

Finished the latest from John Scalzi. Found it an entertaining read, but one aspect was distracting. The distracting bit was the use of the pronoun "they, their, them" for one of the characters. As the main story involves a group of four scientists, the use of the nonbinary pronouns made it difficult sometimes to understand if the reference was to the person or the group. I'd say more, but this is the general topic area so will it at that.

image.jpeg

16 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

2023 novel from the great Walter Mosley, just picked up from my local libary.

Still knocking out the books at aged 71 !!! Haven't felt the recent ones have been that great but still it's Mosley🙂 Book 2 in a series with the central character King Oliver.

image.png

Gave this up after 3 chapters, worst thing I've read by Mosley. The characters were totally unbelievable and dialogue an embarrassment.

The good reviews must have been in recognition of a fine author rather than this effort.

No harm though, back to the library is goes today.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Can't go wrong with the Don- always great entertainment.

Nice reminder to add the first in this series to my reading list 👍

I downloaded the first one the other day as it was on offer for £2.99.

• Like 1