What are you reading?

Al McReady

16 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Agree with you about pricing,ebooks are well over priced at nearly the same price as hardbacks on release. 

Agreed, was really surprised by this when I started to look into Ebooks.

Specially as I am not a fan of Ebooks, and the only reason I would buy them was if they were very, very cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Agreed, was really surprised by this when I started to look into Ebooks.

Specially as I am not a fan of Ebooks, and the only reason I would buy them was if they were very, very cheap.

I like ebooks as you can download them instantly and I only usually read books once. 

Would like to see new ebook price's drop as there's no manufacturing or delivery costs Especially in today's environmental conscious society. 

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Sometimes Amazon discounts books for a short period,so I put books on my wishlist and see if they drop in price. 

Agree with you about pricing,ebooks are well over priced at nearly the same price as hardbacks on release. 

Someone who reads a lot like yourself , should think about signing up for Kindle Unlimited, two months free at the moment then £7.99 a month , like belonging to a online library 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I just read this in two evening sessions(ok there's f**k all else to do)....can't recommend it highly enough.The story of Oleg Gordievsky and how he spied for MI6 whilst working as a high ranking KGB officer.Some interesting stuff about UK union leader Jack Jones and former Labour leader Michael Foot in there as well.

Interesting in that if Foot had won the 1983 general election then MI6 planned to inform the Queen before he became PM that he had once been a paid KGB agent.

sat.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Excellent detective thriller set in 1930's Berlin 

IMG_20200402_145349.jpg

I had just started to reread all the Bernie Gunther series and then all the libraries closed because of the Pangolins curse. Curses.

1 hour ago, andycoll said:

I had just started to reread all the Bernie Gunther series and then all the libraries closed because of the Pangolins curse. Curses.

We should swap books, I'm also reading the Jackson Lamb series, by Mick Heron- London Rules will be the next one up for me.

Really enjoying the Bernie Gunther series, for me you can see Phillip Kerr improve as a writer from his first to his third book, after that they are all excellent so far.

Also starting to go back through the Easy Rawlins books, by Walter Mosely-they are brilliant. Have so much time to read amd tucking into it at present. Non-fiction for the morning and afternoon, and some escapism for the evening

Our library is less than a five minute walk from us so I've never bothered with ebooks but it's shut so....

Downloaded the Kindle app onto my ipad(which I very rarely use) & then had to log in to Amazon(which I also rarely use).They sent me an OTP which was ok but then they wanted the name on my account.I tried 3 different versions of my name & then got blocked & told to contact customer support.

So after 90 minutes & talking to four different people via chat on the Amazon site I gave up & went to bed.Why the fcuk do they make it so difficult?

Gonna try Apple books now.

15 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

We should swap books, I'm also reading the Jackson Lamb series, by Mick Heron- London Rules will be the next one up for me.

Really enjoying the Bernie Gunther series, for me you can see Phillip Kerr improve as a writer from his first to his third book, after that they are all excellent so far.

Also starting to go back through the Easy Rawlins books, by Walter Mosely-they are brilliant. Have so much time to read amd tucking into it at present. Non-fiction for the morning and afternoon, and some escapism for the evening

Big Easy Rawlins and Mouse fan to.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Our library is less than a five minute walk from us so I've never bothered with ebooks but it's shut so....

Downloaded the Kindle app onto my ipad(which I very rarely use) & then had to log in to Amazon(which I also rarely use).They sent me an OTP which was ok but then they wanted the name on my account.I tried 3 different versions of my name & then got blocked & told to contact customer support.

So after 90 minutes & talking to four different people via chat on the Amazon site I gave up & went to bed.Why the fcuk do they make it so difficult?

Gonna try Apple books now.

If your a library member you can borrow ebooks through them for free. It is what I am doing now. Not a complete selection but enough to go on with

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, andycoll said:

If your a library member you can borrow ebooks through them for free. It is what I am doing now. Not a complete selection but enough to go on with

Nice one mate,now reading my first book.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2020 at 9:11 AM, coxyhog said:

Halfway through this & it's the best book I've read for a long time,made all the better because it's true.

az.jpg

This man is a wonderful author - not only does he make the history come alive in his books, but he also has a great tongue-in-cheek sense of humour; check out "Josiah The Great, the true story of the man who would be king" if you haven't already read it...

• Thumbs Up 1