What are you reading?

Al McReady

45 minutes ago, andycoll said:

This, a bit of heavy ISO reading.                    .9780802147653.jpg.

Oh wow great tip. Right on my list now...... just finished Citizen Clem ......... similar time era.

Thanks .........:default_drinks:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fatbhoytim said:

This was an eye opener

stretch.jpg

Just read an overview, sounds like a fascinating story.

Some great recommendations on this thread but no time to read them all😁. Once the charity shops reopen they will be flooded with book donations. I've got 10 upstairs  for my local British Heart Foundation shop ready to hand over, will give it a week or so after they reopen as they as they will be overwhelmed.

Will be a great time to pick up decent second-hand books.

Edited by Lemondropkid

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Some great recommendations on this thread but no time to read them all😁. Once the charity shops reopen they will be flooded with book donations. I've got 10 upstairs  for my local British Heart Foundation shop ready to hand over, will give it a week or so after they reopen as they as they will be overwhelmed.

Back in the days before I bought my Kindle I would be down the charity shop once a month with a bag full of books

Still buy the occasional used paperback off Amazon if there is no Kindle Version. 

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Back in the days before I bought my Kindle I would be down the charity shop once a month with a bag full of books

Still buy the occasional used paperback off Amazon if there is no Kindle Version. 

Thanks to a good tip from @andycoll I get free ebooks from Hertfordshire libraries.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Always bring a Kindle when I travel but have gone back to paper books in the main.

Don't know why but find I am able to concentrate better reading a paper copy than a screen- just a personal thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Aye, I think that we can all agree to disagree at times, and we all have differing opinions, but when it comes to books it is nice to get recommendations and look at different genres that you would not normally read. I have had several decent reads from bm's on here pointing me in the right direction. Long may it continue.

Started this last night -- so far so good.

murder.jpg

21 minutes ago, fatbhoytim said:

Aye, I think that we can all agree to disagree at times, and we all have differing opinions, but when it comes to books it is nice to get recommendations and look at different genres that you would not normally read. I have had several decent reads from bm's on here pointing me in the right direction. Long may it continue.

Started this last night -- so far so good.

murder.jpg

We are going to disagree on all sorts of shit- find the books far more important😀 

You've hit the nail on the head with people recommending genres outside of your normal taste. I'm too much of a creature of habit and can stick to a genre or author to play it safe, good spread of recommendations of here.

Aside from being a cheapskate the charity shops are a godsend for me in getting me to read other stuff outside of my comfort zone. At £2 a pop for books I'll pick up anything that looks remotely interesting that I don't want to risk buying a new copy of. If I don't like them just hand the back to shop anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to be a ferocious reader, but a combination of marriage, child and the internet TBH, has stopped me.

Keep meaning to get back into it.

Think the last two books I read were these, both excellent -

51Gai2Hex1L._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

41XpvzEsQPL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In normal times I read old fashioned books when at home. Usually obtained free from libraries although I do like to rummage through second hand stores to see what can be picked up cheap. When travelling I use my Kindle to save room, although now that I have figured out how to borrow ebooks I will probably do that as well. Currently rereading my Tim Dorsey books in between others.

the-big-bamboo.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, andycoll said:

In normal times I read old fashioned books when at home. Usually obtained free from libraries although I do like to rummage through second hand stores to see what can be picked up cheap. When travelling I use my Kindle to save room, although now that I have figured out how to borrow ebooks I will probably do that as well. Currently rereading my Tim Dorsey books in between others.

the-big-bamboo.jpg

How do rate Dorsey's book v's Carl Hiaasen.

I've really enjoyed Hiaasen, very funny and fantastic for holiday reading.  Looked up Dorsey and his books do sound similar to Hiaasen. Is that a fair comparison and who would you rate as the better author?

17 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

How do rate Dorsey's book v's Carl Hiaasen.

I've really enjoyed Hiaasen, very funny and fantastic for holiday reading.  Looked up Dorsey and his books do sound similar to Hiaasen. Is that a fair comparison and who would you rate as the better author?

I like them both but if I had to pick I would go with Dorsey. His books are based on his main character, Serge A Storms. Serge is a Florida nut and serial killer, but only of people who deserve it. Overbearing sports parents, drivers who don't give way to emergency vehicles, rich people who got rich praying on the poor and elderly, and other such people. The books are written at high speed as Serge races around Florida documenting everything he sees, killing scumbags along the way, usually in very interesting and elaborate ways. Generally accompanied by his alcoholic and stoned sidekick Coleman as well as some very interesting female characters. So although I like Hiaasen I like Dorsey better. Hiaasen's book Bad Monkey is probably the closest he gets to Dorsey. Thanks for reminding me about Carl to as I see he has a new book coming out soon, I'II have to add it to my list.

• Thanks 1