What are you reading?

Al McReady

51SUS+nz27L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Men to Match My Mountains is a true historical masterpiece, an unforgettable pageant of giants—men like John Sutter, whose dream of paradise was shattered by the California Gold Rush; Brigham Young and the Mormons, who tamed the desert with Bible texts; and the silver kings and the miners, who developed Nevada’s Comstock Lode and settled the Rockies...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

51SUS+nz27L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Men to Match My Mountains is a true historical masterpiece, an unforgettable pageant of giants—men like John Sutter, whose dream of paradise was shattered by the California Gold Rush; Brigham Young and the Mormons, who tamed the desert with Bible texts; and the silver kings and the miners, who developed Nevada’s Comstock Lode and settled the Rockies...

Looks like something I would enjoy reading. Unfortunately the price for the book is on the high side. Couldn't find it on any of the torrent sites either.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2023 at 11:34 AM, andycoll said:

Decided I wanted a good laugh so I turned to the classics. Can't go wrong a Pratchett. 

products-138.jpg

Currently re-reading the City Watch series.  Nearly finished the 5th Elephant.  Absolutely brilliant of course.

Perfect holiday reading.  Too hot to be outside 2pm in Los. Kicking back inside laughing at Pratchett 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying the books by Douglas E. Richards, especially his author notes at the end of the book.

While the genre is sci-fi, he touches on issues we're now facing and the consequences of those issues in the near future.

This excerpt from his latest book Portals really resonated with what I'm seeing happening now.

“If the world is better than ever,” I asked, “why are we more stressed than ever?”

“Because while we hate to admit it, we’re still animals. Primitives. Our brains are still those of cavemen, well suited to working in small, close-knit clans to stay alive. But this is no longer the case—by a long shot. Instead of being brothers-in-arms with small groups of people, we’re impacted by an endless parade of people we’ll never meet.”

The professor paused to let this sink in.

“Then, too,” she continued, “we’re more polarized than ever, more propagandized than ever. And this is only getting worse as new tech, especially social media and 24/7 news, divide us. First, we’re each getting individualized news feeds, so no two debaters are even working from the same set of facts, the same objective reality. And social media provides an anonymous platform to spew venom, to unleash our worst selves on each other, bypassing the normal restraints that evolution has built into us when interacting in person.”

Singh paused and returned her glass to the table in front of her. “Our tech ensures we’re always connected, always reachable, always on call. Which is stressful enough. But even worse, the tech is designed to worm its way into our minds, tempting us into devoting more and more attention to it. As I mentioned, we’re in a society filled with people hell bent on doing whatever they can to addict us. It’s a war for your brain.

image.jpeg

On 1/1/2023 at 11:07 PM, galenkia said:

B094CY5C3L.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

I read a couple of JD Kirk which are enjoyable police procedurals. But for a change i've added a few TM Logan to my kindle, about half way through "Lies". An entertaining mystery.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2023 at 7:36 PM, galenkia said:

No doubt @Krapow will want to read this when I’ve finished reading it.

😂

7B59908B-6C66-4997-BA3D-C7CF6F774D3A.jpeg

This was a very good though harrowing read.

Some of the treatment of farm animals is just horrific.

Lot of truth in the saying ‘If slaughterhouses had glass walls we’d all be vegetarian’.

• Great Info 1

14th book of my travels finished.

Loved this. A very, very funny book. Author's style takes a lot of getting used as dozens of new characters are rapidly introduced, but he draws all the threads together at the end of the book.

Laughed out loud several times reading it, that hasn't happened for a while with a book.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 08.31.24.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

14th book of my travels finished.

Loved this. A very, very funny book. Author's style takes a lot of getting used as dozens of new characters are rapidly introduced, but he draws all the threads together at the end of the book.

Laughed out loud several times reading it, that hasn't happened for a while with a book.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 08.31.24.png

Do you need the read his previous book first ? 

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Do you need the read his previous book first ? 

So I think Hammerhead was number 5 in the series. 

I read that as an young writer he'd killed off many of his characters in the early books. Then realised as he matured that he'd gone to far and reinstated them.

I'd read one of his books before so had a feel for the central character Serge Storms.

However I think his books and Hammerhead, can be read as a stand alone.

Found there was a learning curve getting used to his style and the sheer volume of new characters. 

Worth persisting though. 

A style like Carl Hiassen on speed, but I'd say funnier.  And a love Hiassen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• john luke changed the title to What are you reading?