What are you reading?

Al McReady

On 3/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, Punter said:

This must be the same Jack Reynolds who wrote Woman of Bangkok. If so, I didn't know that he'd written other books. Please tell us more about this book.

Same book, same writer, but the original title. He didn't write much else. His real name was Jack Jones. 

Andrew Hicks researched his life a lot - https://peoplethingsliterature.com/2015/10/07/an-interview-with-andrew-hicks-author-of-jack-jones-a-true-friend-of-china/

Political Tribes - Group Instinct and the Fate of Nations by Amy Chua.  (Catchy title huh!) :default_1087:

Actually a fantastic read and so clearly explains why we are in the mess we are in all over the world.

One of my favourite writers ........  didn't know Trump fought in WWE contest and what 'prosperity churches' were until last night :default_gathering:

On 4/7/2019 at 11:28 PM, Shaksey said:

Same book, same writer, but the original title. He didn't write much else. His real name was Jack Jones. 

Andrew Hicks researched his life a lot - https://peoplethingsliterature.com/2015/10/07/an-interview-with-andrew-hicks-author-of-jack-jones-a-true-friend-of-china/

I bought A True Friend Of China about four years ago shortly after it was published. I contacted Andrew by email and met him in a cafe to pick up the book from him in person. Jack Jones was quite a character.

I enjoyed reading Woman of Bangkok much more than more recent writings about the nightlife in LOS.

• Like 1

51ZVKrrAVhL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

By Julian Cope, ex singer of late 70s and early 80s bands Teardrop Explodes and Echo and The Bunnymen. He's a brilliant writer and it's an absolutely fantastic read. I know the cover looks a bit weird and so is much of the content. I picked it up second hand from Amazon for little more than a quid. One of his other books, KrautRockSampler, is now selling second hand for £100. As much as I'd like to read that too, it won't be anytime in the near future unfortunately.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2019 at 7:33 PM, Punter said:

I bought A True Friend Of China about four years ago shortly after it was published. I contacted Andrew by email and met him in a cafe to pick up the book from him in person. Jack Jones was quite a character.

I enjoyed reading Woman of Bangkok much more than more recent writings about the nightlife in LOS.

Yes same here, it's still the finest book of the thai (bar) girl did me wrong genre. Private Dancer is the next best because Steve Leather is a damn good thriller/mystery writer who also happened to write a book about a bar girl, not a bitter ex-tourist /expat trying to write as their 2nd/3rd/4th/5th... career. 

I will try to get hold of A True Friend of China too now then 👍 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/12/2019 at 12:34 AM, galenkia said:

Just started this thriller.

51WIsaAvvWL.jpg

About halfway through this and its a decent read.Set just after WW2 and the bodies of 2 children killed years ago have been discovered.

Only 99p for the Kindle version.

Want to read this Michael Connelly book series about homicide detective Harry Bosch after getting into the Bosch TV series. I will start with the first one "Black Echo" and see if it pans out then work my way through more of the book series in the LOS this summer. 

Bosch.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Want to read this Michael Connelly book series about homicide detective Harry Bosch after getting into the Bosch TV series. I will start with the first one "Black Echo" and see if it pans out then work my way through more of the book series in the LOS this summer. 

Bosch.jpg

Well, if you like the first one then you have a lot more to go, which is always a good thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Bosch.jpg

Currently up to date on this series.Great read,especially the early half of the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna get a start on this today, drove bikes on and off for years with no license.  Going to go legal and do my direct access and get myself a decent bike for whatever little summer we get. Also means I can stop putting my hand in my pocket when I get pulled over in Thailand when driving a bike😀

bike.thumb.jpg.c2171d0d650bc607cc01b05231de96a7.jpg

1 minute ago, JPK said:

Gonna get a start on this today, drove bikes on and off for years with no license.  Going to go legal and do my direct access and get myself a decent bike for whatever little summer we get. Also means I can stop putting my hand in my pocket when I get pulled over in Thailand when driving a bike😀

bike.thumb.jpg.c2171d0d650bc607cc01b05231de96a7.jpg

Glad i did my test in the 80's before they introduced all this Theory Test,Direct Access and Module stuff.Ain't cheap either.Old test was great,part one go round a few cones,Part two the examiner stood at the side of the road watch you go up and down once,make a right turn,emergency stop,and a few highway code questions.If you did that without getting killed you got a license.😀

Good luck mate.👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Just started The Sergeant Escapers.

It's a great little read so far, the exploits of NCO George Grimson and other NCO's during WWII in POW camp Heydekrug SL6.

Currently watching Colditz as well which makes it even better.

Cheers

506465932.0.m.jpg

Edited by Gary Charlton

On 4/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, Steelers4Life said:

Want to read this Michael Connelly book series about homicide detective Harry Bosch after getting into the Bosch TV series. 

Season 5 of the Bosch TV Series just released as well - another good series.

Season 6 also approved for production for release in 2020.

• Thanks 2