When to renew a driver's license

johnpat

When you have a 5 year driver's license it expires on your birthday.   When you renew that license it will expire 5 years after your next birthday.    So it would seem wise to renew your license shortly after it expires on your birthday thus giving you an effective 6 year license.   

Does this work in practice  or if you renew shortly after your birthday do they give you 5 years after your previous birthday?

I seem to have lodged in the part of my brain that retains trivia for ever but not what I had for breakfast yesterday that a silly rule exists that you cannot renew your driving licenses until the old ones have actually expired?

Memory is a strange thing. I had something quite important to add..................but....................I forget.

Carry on.

1066 - Hastings

1815 - Waterloo

20.30 - St Pancras

• Haha 1

I got my first, 1 year, Thai licenses ( motorcycle & car ) on the 28th December 2010 - i came to Thailand with an International Driving License ( IDP - issued by the U.K. post Office ).

My Birthday is the 25th December. As the OP says, the effective date of the license is the 1st birthday after it is issued, so my license was valid until 25 Dec 2012.

I went to renew them both ( upgrade to a 5 year ) in early December 2012, only to be told that it couldn't be renewed until it had expired, so i went back after Christmas, and got them both renewed / upgraded to 5 years.

So, 2017 comes around and I wait until after my birthday to go top renew - only to be told that they've changed the rules ! I should have renewed within the last 3 months of the license's validity. Because I had let the license expire, I had to go through the full gambit of tests, video presentations etc, etc. to get them renewed. They now expire on the 25th December 2022.

So, I suggest you check with somebody in the know; if in doubt, go to renew early, rather than late.

Best of luck

The Proffesor

P.S. I'm at an age where my memory is failing, so excuse me if I've got the dates wrong. I do remember that my birthday is at Christmas - I think . . .

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Proffesor, did the "full gambit of tests" include the road test? If not, then the tests you were given is the same as I went through on my last renewal in Nov, 2017. And I believe everyone has to do them on each license renewal. You only have to do the road test if you don't renew within X no. of days (I believe it's 30) after the license expires. 

For my renewal I went a few days after my b'day and now have a license good until Nov, 2023.

40 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

I got my first, 1 year, Thai licenses ( motorcycle & car ) on the 28th December 2010 - i came to Thailand with an International Driving License ( IDP - issued by the U.K. post Office ).

My Birthday is the 25th December. As the OP says, the effective date of the license is the 1st birthday after it is issued, so my license was valid until 25 Dec 2012.

I went to renew them both ( upgrade to a 5 year ) in early December 2012, only to be told that it couldn't be renewed until it had expired, so i went back after Christmas, and got them both renewed / upgraded to 5 years.

So, 2017 comes around and I wait until after my birthday to go top renew - only to be told that they've changed the rules ! I should have renewed within the last 3 months of the license's validity. Because I had let the license expire, I had to go through the full gambit of tests, video presentations etc, etc. to get them renewed. They now expire on the 25th December 2022.

So, I suggest you check with somebody in the know; if in doubt, go to renew early, rather than late.

Best of luck

The Proffesor

P.S. I'm at an age where my memory is failing, so excuse me if I've got the dates wrong. I do remember that my birthday is at Christmas - I think . . .

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

ps - So I was correct in believing there was a time when you had to wait for the old licenses to expire. I wondered if I was making it up  but just "TiT":default_biggrin:

33 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

@Proffesor, did the "full gambit of tests" include the road test? If not, then the tests you were given is the same as I went through on my last renewal in Nov, 2017. And I believe everyone has to do them on each license renewal. You only have to do the road test if you don't renew within X no. of days (I believe it's 30) after the license expires. 

For my renewal I went a few days after my b'day and now have a license good until Nov, 2023.

Define "Road Test" I had to drive around the building, through a road cone slalom, and reverse into a parking spot.

On the (supplied ) motorcycle, same trip around the building and instead of the parking test, ride across a scaffold plank about 8'-0" ( 2.5 m ) long, that was flat on the concrete ground.

39 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

ps - So I was correct in believing there was a time when you had to wait for the old licenses to expire. I wondered if I was making it up  but just "TiT":default_biggrin:

Thanks Danny

I suppose that at our age, we should be thankful that the mind is only playing tricks and hasn't failed completely - but then, some would say that it is only a matter of time.

16 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

Define "Road Test" I had to drive around the building, through a road cone slalom, and reverse into a parking spot.

On the (supplied ) motorcycle, same trip around the building and instead of the parking test, ride across a scaffold plank about 8'-0" ( 2.5 m ) long, that was flat on the concrete ground.

What you described is the Thai version of "road test". Surprised you had to do the road test as you and I both renewed within a month of each other in 2017. I did my renewal at the Pattaya Land Transport Office, was yours at a different office?

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

What you described is the Thai version of "road test". Surprised you had to do the road test as you and I both renewed within a month of each other in 2017. I did my renewal at the Pattaya Land Transport Office, was yours at a different office?

All of my license applications have been at the Land Transport Office adjacent to the Regents School.

But, TiT; my wife has inadvertently let her car license renewal lapse, so she is going to renew it tomorrow. I asked if she had got her Medical Certificate - she says that Thais don't need one. I then asked her when her motorcycle license expires and she tells me that it is valid until she dies . . .  ? !!

The inconsistencies are not just at the Land Transport Office. A guy I know ( he died last year ) was working in Chiang Mai for a Company when his Work Permit expired - so he went to the Labour Office up there and renewed it. He showed me the renewal, which was valid for a 2 year period. I've asked our Business Agent ( who handles my Work Permit ) and she says emphatically, there is no such thing as a 2 year W.P. Go figure.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:07 PM, Proffesor said:

All of my license applications have been at the Land Transport Office adjacent to the Regents School.

But, TiT; my wife has inadvertently let her car license renewal lapse, so she is going to renew it tomorrow. I asked if she had got her Medical Certificate - she says that Thais don't need one. I then asked her when her motorcycle license expires and she tells me that it is valid until she dies . . .  ? !!

The inconsistencies are not just at the Land Transport Office. A guy I know ( he died last year ) was working in Chiang Mai for a Company when his Work Permit expired - so he went to the Labour Office up there and renewed it. He showed me the renewal, which was valid for a 2 year period. I've asked our Business Agent ( who handles my Work Permit ) and she says emphatically, there is no such thing as a 2 year W.P. Go figure.

Edited by mrcharliemofo

2 hours ago, Proffesor said:

2 yr work permits are common.

Edited by Sir_Fondles

I had 2 year licenses expiring May11. I had a delay getting residence certificate as the Immigration dept was closed on May 9th.

I went to Transport Office Tuesday 14th at 7.50 and had ticket number 43. Called upstairs at 9.50 to check paperwork was correct then told to return Wednesday at 7.00. Farang number 32 was the last one to be processed.

Arrived at 6.45 and got number 17. At 8.45 I was told to return at 13.00.  Colour blind, reaction and depth perception tests and watched the video then called to pay, 310 bt for the pair. Wait for photo to be taken then a further wait for the licenses to be printed. Finished around 15.45 with a pair of 2 year licenses again, I had a 60 day tourist visa so not eligible for 5 year ones.

• 1 year later...

My two five year driving licenses expire on the 7th October.  (If anybody wishes to send me a birthday present let me know and I will send my PayPal details.) 😉

My first question dear members:

1. Is their an Agent in Pattaya who will renew these for me saving me all the hassle?

2. If not, does one still have to wait until the existing licenses expire before you can renew?

3. Is this still the actual procedure:

3.1  Go to renewal center behind the Regents School with:

3.2 Medical certificate; Residency confirmation; Completed Application

3.3 Watch video and take depth perception test.

Anything else?

You would be advised to renew at least one day after your birthday as the new license expires 5 years after your next birthday.  You thus get a 6 year license rather than a 5 year.

You'll need two medical certificates and two residence certificates.  you'll need a photocopy (front and back) of your current licenses plus two sets of photocopies of the

usual pages of your passport.  

You don't need to fill out an application for the license.   They fill it out and you sign it (or actually I think you sign it first and then they fill it out).

The tests are: color, depth perception, reaction time and  peripheral vision although they skip some sometimes.

I don't see how an Agent can do this for you as you need to get  your photo taken by their license machine.   TIT however.\

(and yes you get to watch a video... sit near the front if you want to read the English subtitles).

Edited by johnpat
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnpat said:

You would be advised to renew at least one day after your birthday as the new license expires 5 years after your next birthday.  You thus get a 6 year license rather than a 5 year.

You'll need two medical certificates and two residence certificates.  you'll need a photocopy (front and back) of your current licenses plus two sets of photocopies of the

You don't need to fill out an application for the license.   They fill it out and you sign it (or actually I think you sign it first and then they fill it out).

The tests are: color, depth perception, reaction time and  peripheral vision although they skip some sometimes.

I don't see how an Agent can do this for you as you need to get  your photo taken by their license machine.   TIT however.\

(and yes you get to watch a video... sit near the front if you want to read the English subtitles).

Good info. 

I last renewed my 5 yr license back in Nov 2018, so procedures may have changed. But when I renewed they limited the number of people each day to 120. So best to arrive early. I got there around 7:30 am and was in the first group let in when the doors opened at 8.

• Like 1

Well, when I have gotten my last 3 or 4 licenses ( 5 year licenses ) ... I never had any problems ... and the first license I had .. it was expired for a couple of years ... they said nothing to me .. none of the 1/2 day videos .. driving tests .. nothing ...

But, I was in the deep south of Thailand .. I went to a small license bureau - government office ( not sure what they are called in Thai ) . they told me they couldn't do in their office... I had to go back to BKK ... never mind - I say because I am back in BKK 1 week a month anyway ..

Beach gal went back with me ( to BK ) and protected me from all of the usual soft harassment / demands / excuses normally given to farang  .. I went to a clinic on Pridi soi 14 ( Ramkhamhaeng very lose to Sukhumvit ) .. paid the Doctor 200 baht .. he didn't even check me out .. nothing .. paid him baht and I was outta there with what I needed for the DLT ...

The bad thing .. I think is how f**king crowded the DLT is ... on Suk Soi 99 .. I think .. don't remember exactly

But, get a license .. because as one poster stated above .. it can be a little tricky if you get into an accident here .. I am certain the insurance will cover any damage to your vehicle .. but, it is the greedy Thais that will try to bring a problem to you .. and that is what you need to protect yourself from

Believe me .. I have had 2 small accidents here ... and neither one was my fault .. but, the bullshit the greedy f**ks tried to give me .. f**k them .... lol .. and Beach gal says the same .. lol 

department-of-land-transport.jpg

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, johnpat said:

Thanks for the information but why do I need two medical and residency certificates?

Do you mean one original of each and one additional copy?

As I recall there were many applicants in the room with the video but I was the only one attempting to watch it as everyone else appeared to be playing games on their phone. However the sun was shining directly onto the screen and it was impossible to see the video properly in any event.

Edited by Jambo

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Thanks for the information but why do I need two medical and residency certificates?

you are making two separate applications to renew your licenses so you need two separate piles of documents, each complete without reference to the other.  No copies of the residence certificate and medical.

If you go to Jomtien immigration and tell them you need two residence certificates they understand why and won't question it.  You will need to give them twice as many photos of you (you'll need to give them 4 photos).   Also when you go to the clinic and tell them you need two medical certificates they will do it without question.  You'll pay twice as much as one.  They know the rules at Immigration and the clinics.

you do only need to fill out the application for residence certificate once and then note that you want two certificates from the one application.

Edited by johnpat

7 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Yea Bro .... I was thinking the same ....

The last time I didn't even show them my passport ... just gave them the certificate from the doctor and my drivers license ( expired or current ) ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

2 minutes ago, johnpat said:

you are making two separate applications to renew your licenses so you need two separate piles of documents, each complete without reference to the other.  No copies of the residence certificate and medical.

If you go to Jomtien immigration and tell them you need two residence certificates they understand why and won't question it.  You will need to give them twice as many photos of you (you'll need to give them 4 photos).   Also when you go to the clinic and tell them you need two medical certificates they will do it without question.  You'll pay twice as much as one.  They know the rules at Immigration and the clinics.

Thank you for clarifying.

That is completely different to when I renewed my two 5 year licenses last time when only one of each was required. The medical certificate cost me 200 baht at the clinic just up from Secrets and was issued without them asking me a single question. :default_biggrin:

I renewed mine just about one year ago.      People were packed like sardines as we watched the video and did the tests.    That's not going to happen today which implies they can process far fewer applicants now.   I heard about needing an appointment in some news report.  I"m not sure if that's true or not.   Here is where an Agent might come in handy as they will know how things are running now.   

Also when you make photocopies of your passport and current licenses (front and back) make sure you sign each photocopy...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

I'm going for my first Thai D.L. this week (or the next depending on what I encounter) up in Chiang Mai. I've opted to check with a company that greases (er, provides guidance) things. I'll see how that goes. Always a new learning curve around the next corner. It'll be good to have that in my pocket. One more thing to check off "the list".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:50 AM, Jambo said:

My two five year driving licenses expire on the 7th October.  (If anybody wishes to send me a birthday present let me know and I will send my PayPal details.) 😉

My first question dear members:

1. Is their an Agent in Pattaya who will renew these for me saving me all the hassle?

2. If not, does one still have to wait until the existing licenses expire before you can renew?

3. Is this still the actual procedure:

3.1  Go to renewal center behind the Regents School with:

3.2 Medical certificate; Residency confirmation; Completed Application

3.3 Watch video and take depth perception test.

Anything else?

To reply to 1. Yes there's an agent and I'm going to use her services this week.

Look on FB for Mots Services. 

8 minutes ago, Esco said:

To reply to 1. Yes there's an agent and I'm going to use her services this week.

Look on FB for Mots Services. 

Thanks but your a little late in responding as I renewed my two licenses a couple of weeks ago and I did use Mots Services who saved me all the paperwork and the need to go to Immigration for the residency certificate.

You still have to visit the center behind Regents School but having a confirmed appointment put me with the first 20 or so applicants for processing. There appeared to be a couple of hundred Thai's without appointments.

• Thumbs Up 1