Cost of a day in Pattaya all up......Sterling sub 40

RR007

Thread prompted by Sterling going sub 40 at TT exchanges this morning 39.84 earlier

Will always vary hugely from guy to guy but just assume its a medium hotel, food mix of thai and reasonable priced Farang food, assume no daytime action but time spent at pool or beach but LT at nights from Go Go plus the associated drinks bill lol. So missing a LOT of potential extras

Hotel 1500 Baht.....Food 500 Baht.....500 around pool/beach.....LT BF lets say 1000 and 3000 for her (lower range).....drinks very subjective but easy to go through 2500 especially with a BF

You got 9,000 Baht or £225 daily and frankly throw in daytime action phone laundry insurance water etc etc and it goes to 12,000 or over £300

It cannot be sustained at this level. I bet a lot here spend a lot more on hotel and food alone  ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not a wealthy man, but for many years visiting Pattaya, I used to feel wealthy. Now that I have reired and on a few pensions, I have reduced my the number trips I make each year rather than scrimp when I am there. I spend around 10k per day. That might not seem much to some, but in the old days of 60/70 baht to the pound, cheaper drinks,bar fines etc, I could have a great time on 6k a day, but often spent more. I never found myself driving up and down Soi Buakao looking for the best exchange rates either.i am not that bothered about staying in great hotels either. As long as it's clean and cenral.i am only there to sleep and shower and out most of the time. 2 meals a day only comes to about 800 baht and I spent far more than that on alcohol and lady drinks etc. I have always said that if the baht hits under 40 and stays then I might stop visiting altogether. Well let's see if I amtrue to my conviction or wheher I will just continue to moan about it

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, misteregg said:

Going on holiday is a treat. I always used to treat myself when I was here. Airfares are cheaper and you can definitely find a cheaper room than 1,500฿ . You only sleep there anyway.

most like shower

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On holiday it is expensive.

living here not so much- it’s far cheaper when you aren’t in a rush because you have a plane home soon. 

I have never worked it out tbh but it feels every month I live here/ Asia I spend less

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, misteregg said:

Going on holiday is a treat. I always used to treat myself when I was here. Airfares are cheaper and you can definitely find a cheaper room than 1,500฿ . You only sleep there anyway.

Even factoring in cheaper air fares and accommodation that has not really gone up much,its still not a cheaper destination anymore.If you don't barfine its okay,but that's why we go there anyway.Think the best rate i got was about 75b,so now you are looking at pretty much half that.Add in increasing costs for the girls,and the lack of wanting to actually spend time with you,for me personally it is currently not an attractive option.

I don't earn big wages,far less than the laughable 'national average',so i have to be a lot more wiser how i spend my money these days.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, misteregg said:

Agree on the room price and mine are normally around 1000 give or take up Sabai Lodge for the superior rooms out the back.

• Like 1

I've always tried to sort of turn a blind eye to the exchange rate and take it as a holiday treat- breaking 40 not sure I'm going to be able to do that.

Historically tried to  budget loosely around spending 12k baht a day- say I was getting 55 baht to GBP so £218 a day, now at 39 baht £307- now that's hard to ignore. So almost £90 more per day, 20 days on the ground comes £1800 and that's just the extra spend😨

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you take out the cost of hotels and girl costs as we do, as we have a place there plus a car and I’m married, then the cost of a Thai holiday isn’t that high. Food can be either eat cheap on the street, or go expensive in hotels or fancy restaurants, an easy choice if your on a budget. Personally, we prefer to eat on the street for most meals, mainly because we enjoy the food.

Can’t do anything about EX rates, other than stay home or holiday closer to home and if we do that, we pay through the nose for going on European holidays during school breaks, as the costs rocket!

We can stay for 2 months in Nakhon Nowhere, with trips to various other cities, for what it costs to stay in any of the big cities for 2 weeks and have a much better time. Ok, not for everyone, but we like the quiet life, so suits us just fine. If you really must holiday in Pattaya for the girls and booze and want a decent standard of living whilst there, then, unfortunately,  you gotta pay the price.

My wife and son went 3 times last year and no matter how much sterling she takes, she always runs out and has to go to her Thai bank for more funds.

We long ago gave up “budgeting” for any holiday, what’s the point, you always overspend and always regret it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Obviously I would like the rate to be higher , but it's not going to stop me visiting or enjoying myself .... 

I'm booked for November, just bought my baht from the currency club, 39.30, i will take that chance, like you say its not going to putme off of going, i now use bell bus at 280 baht against a taxi at 1300 baht,  there are little cost savings to be made, and flights are the same as i paid 10 years ago.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 5:18 PM, misteregg said:

Airfares are cheaper and you can definitely find a cheaper room than 1,500฿

GF and I stay in a 33 sq mtr furnished room, AC, wifi, balcony and kitchen 5 mins walk to big c extra 7000 baht a month or 750 baht a night. Clean and great staff. You could pay for a month, stay 2 or 3 weeks and still save money

We have rented for 9.years but spend most time away

• Like 2

5 hours ago, biggles said:

GF and I stay in a 33 sq mtr furnished room, AC, wifi, balcony and kitchen 5 mins walk to big c extra 7000 baht a month or 750 baht a night. Clean and great staff. You could pay for a month, stay 2 or 3 weeks and still save money

We have rented for 9.years but spend most time away

Pretty much what I do on longer trips.

Jesus my guy on the ground has just changed few bob and TT closest to him is 39.49 today Sunday. Just had look at interbank which is 39.75 so no surprise. You got now the Baht getting stronger against the Dollar again doing the further damage heading towards 31 again.

Any sight of a no deal brexit (and its not looking good) and we'll see $1.20 imminently. That would put Sterling Baht at around 37 at TTs. I've had enough personally its no fun at these levels. Its not a question of cant afford it as certainly can but all the fun for me is going quickly at these rates. It doesnt help that others here obviously and myself saw 90 in 1997 but the decline every since is savage. Back to pre 1997 levels currently with 22 years of Thai "inflation" as regards the entertainment industry on top is savage

Off to Skiathos later this month

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Baldylocks said:

And I'm off to Cofu, but I doubt I will have as much fun as I did in June and January in Pattaya 

But have to agree the rate is taking the fun out of it.

Corfu was the first overseas resort I went to as an adult in 1980 bloody good laugh.....went back in 1991 as married guy and still good laugh. I would go again tomorrow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baldylocks said:

And I'm off to Cofu, but I doubt I will have as much fun as I did in June and January in Pattaya 

But have to agree the rate is taking the fun out of it.

Well I would love to go back to Greece, enjoyed Rhodes a couple of summers back, need to explore more of the country. One added benefit to Greece is the wonderful food, can't be beaten in my book.

• Like 2

On track back to the OP though my spend has gone down over the years.  Ever since Kataleya was born my interest in the girly side of Pattaya has waned considerably.

When I was last there I spent about 1500 baht a night on the hotel and probably no more than another 1500 all night with meal and beers. As most know my ability to drink has also waned and if I drink 4 beers that is doing good. I also think my last visit saw me drinking only in the Rock House and Le Pub. I am sometimes accompanied by family and my spend will be directly linked to their enjoyment (which is mine as well).

For me even when single in Pattaya I really don't see the place as it once was and whereas my ladies drinks used to be sent to good looking girls those same girls have probably just got old with me and the new intake have edged towards social media interaction or shaking booty in the go gos.

Even 10 years ago I nearly paid 3000 for a LT all night out of Nana until I thought value for money was best spent elsewhere. Have I become tired of the bar life, probably, although similarly I will spend more when with good mates without a female near me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RR007 said:

Jesus my guy on the ground has just changed few bob and TT closest to him is 39.49 today Sunday. Just had look at interbank which is 39.75 so no surprise. You got now the Baht getting stronger against the Dollar again doing the further damage heading towards 31 again.

Any sight of a no deal brexit (and its not looking good) and we'll see $1.20 imminently. That would put Sterling Baht at around 37 at TTs. I've had enough personally its no fun at these levels. Its not a question of cant afford it as certainly can but all the fun for me is going quickly at these rates. It doesnt help that others here obviously and myself saw 90 in 1997 but the decline every since is savage. Back to pre 1997 levels currently with 22 years of Thai "inflation" as regards the entertainment industry on top is savage

Off to Skiathos later this month

It's all relative though ... 20 years ago we were getting 1.60 and higher ( it hit 1.71 around 2001 )  against the EUR now it's about 1.10 ... wherever you go as a Brit , unless you choose somewhere like Egypt , your spending on holiday is likely to be affected by the exchange rate ..

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

It's all relative though ... 20 years ago we were getting 1.60 and higher ( it hit 1.71 around 2001 )  against the EUR now it's about 1.10 ... wherever you go as a Brit , unless you choose somewhere like Egypt , your spending on holiday is likely to be affected by the exchange rate ..

Of course doesnt matter where you go in the World one side of the currency pairings contains Sterling/Dollar and we cant get away from it. All we can do is seek "value" in another destination because whether Cambodia Vietnam Philippines or wherever that $1.26 follows us around currently

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Turkey's currency's collapsed, great value, will be there in 10 days. 

Great for a family / couple .. but doesn't do it for me as a single traveller who wants the nightlife 

i loved Kefalonia last year , but a week there is more than enough for me 

I hardly spent anything in evenings in Vietnam , a few drinks and some food , and it was great for 10 days , but Thailand still wins for me and unless I meet someone and put my mongering days behind me ( unlikely ) then I don't see that changing wherever the exchange rate goes 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2