• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
KWA

BKK Airport new terminal

I thought they were still arguing about whether it should be made of wood or not, but looks like it's well under way.

bkk new 1.jpg

bkk new 2.jpg

That area is cut off from the main terminal area so is there going to be a train connection under the taxiways?

17 hours ago, Horizondave said:

That area is cut off from the main terminal area so is there going to be a train connection under the taxiways?

There has been discussed but I'm not sure how the discussions ended.  There's also conflicting stories about what the new terminal will be used for.  I've read it will be a domestic terminal only and also that it'll be a Thai Airways/Bangkok Airways terminal.

• Thumbs Up 1

And haven't they built it in a totally different area to where the airport master development plan said it should be built and where all the mains services and supplies were already laid out to?

Probably the Feng Shui Consultant recommended the new location...grin.

• Haha 1

I took a look on Google Maps and it seems like they scrapped the plans for the fourth runway and the third isn't finished either.

9 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

I took a look on Google Maps and it seems like they scrapped the plans for the fourth runway and the third isn't finished either.

I don't know whats scrapped but this is where they are building now...

Screenshot at Jun 08 10-11-38.png

Google street view:-

Screenshot at Jun 08 10-14-18.png

Zoomed in

Screenshot at Jun 08 10-14-54.png

1 minute ago, Lanzalad said:

I don't know whats scrapped but this is where they are building now...

Screenshot at Jun 08 10-11-38.png

That is about the original location, but not the shape (as I remember it, it was supposed to be a mirror image of the existing terminal). And Suvarnamhumi 3 Rd is about where the fourth runway was planned. And you can see the outlining for the third runway on the left, looks like some of it still is greenery.

8 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

That is about the original location, but not the shape (as I remember it, it was supposed to be a mirror image of the existing terminal). And Suvarnamhumi 3 Rd is about where the fourth runway was planned. And you can see the outlining for the third runway on the left, looks like some of it still is greenery.

Yes i see it now... 👍🏼

• Like 1

Using Google Earth historical imagery you can see the third runway was started in November, 2006, a few months after the airport opened. You can also see construction of the new terminal was also begun then, or at least the pad for the terminal was put in.

In April the Thai cabinet approved 21.8 billion baht to finish the third runway, with construction to start this year and a completion date in 2021 (link).  I'll believe that when I see it.
Screen Shot 06-08-19 at 04.59 PM.jpg

Also interesting to note is in the view as of December, 2016 it looks like the new terminal site was dug up and they started over. Not surprising as it was sitting exposed to the elements for 10 years.
Screen Shot 06-08-19 at 05.12 PM 001.jpg

The Wikipedia entry for BKK makes for an interesting read. The construction of BKK encapsulates all that's wrong with Thailand; cost overruns, sub-standard construction, corruption, missed deadlines, problems with luggage handling, failures of the check-in system, departure boards displaying wrong information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

• Like 1

They would do well to spend more money on immigration control as well and what are becoming really excessive queues

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this