• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
barsie

Passport renewal options?

I'm getting near to thinking about renewing my passport.

Think got about 6 pages left- so probably needs to be done in next few months.

I know process and forms to fill in, but anyone know a cheap service to have it done? I'm being lazy as can't be bothered to go to Bangkok just to visit an office then do same again just to pick up my passport.

I know Key Visa do it for 5000 baht. But to me it's only 2 taxis @1000 baht plus service fee. 3000baht is bit much for the service fee it's basically an expensive courier service.

wouldn't it be 4 taxi's @ Bt.1000 for you to do it yourself...... or do they post it back to you ?

Posted (edited)

Ask BM Jambo, he recently renewed his.

He may also be able to give you the skinny on getting your "permission to stay" etc transferred over.

Edited by fygjam

52 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

wouldn't it be 4 taxi's @ Bt.1000 for you to do it yourself...... or do they post it back to you ?

Well I doubt an agency even drives it- they will courier it to a contact or it will be with a pile of other people's passports in a taxi going that way anyway.

Actually no reason an agency in Bangkok you couldn't just courier it to yourself.

17 minutes ago, barsie said:

Well I doubt an agency even drives it- they will courier it to a contact or it will be with a pile of other people's passports in a taxi going that way anyway.

Actually no reason an agency in Bangkok you couldn't just courier it to yourself.

Right, so if you have to taxi down and back 2 times that will set you back 4k (I assume it is 1k each way)........ kinda makes the 5k asked by key visa seem to be very reasonable.

5k would be worth it.

But I am surprised you don't need to pick it up in person ? 

No fingerprints, no digital pic ?

Cheap way jump on the bus or ask Benjamin to send a car

Penny pinching already 🤣🤣🤣🤣🙈

25 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

5k would be worth it.

2 passport size pics need to be supplied, No mention of finger prints.

I havent checked re overseas application but when my lad renewed his passport in the uk all the did was go via the app confirm certain details were correct enter bank details  and that was it....it gave a reference number to send the expiring passport back (we waited till new one received which was literally days)

Now that assumes you can get someone to receive the passport back in the uk (they may send to Thailand am not sure) and forward to you. I remember at the time in 2018 thinking there must be more to it than that overall. Literally couple minutes and that was it completed. Obviously this is for renewals not first time application

• Great Info 1

Just now, RR007 said:

....it gave a reference number to send the expiring passport back (we waited till new one received which was literally days)

Must have changed as I did mine a few months ago.  All on line and could be tracked, but they wouldn't start anything until the old one had been received.  Just a few days to process though.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RR007 said:

I havent checked re overseas application but when my lad renewed his passport in the uk all the did was go via the app confirm certain details were correct enter bank details  and that was it....it gave a reference number to send the expiring passport back (we waited till new one received which was literally days)

Now that assumes you can get someone to receive the passport back in the uk (they may send to Thailand am not sure) and forward to you. I remember at the time in 2018 thinking there must be more to it than that overall. Literally couple minutes and that was it completed. Obviously this is for renewals not first time application

That's interesting move - sounds pretty simple as a renewal should be tbh

1 hour ago, roomark said:

Cheap way jump on the bus or ask Benjamin to send a car

Penny pinching already 🤣🤣🤣🤣🙈

Well it's when you have near infinite amounts of time on your hands. Makes worth doing research- a nice saving= a slap up meal with a decent over priced bottle of red 😄

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, barsie said:

I'm getting near to thinking about renewing my passport.

Think got about 6 pages left- so probably needs to be done in next few months.

I know process and forms to fill in, but anyone know a cheap service to have it done? I'm being lazy as can't be bothered to go to Bangkok just to visit an office then do same again just to pick up my passport.

I know Key Visa do it for 5000 baht. But to me it's only 2 taxis @1000 baht plus service fee. 3000baht is bit much for the service fee it's basically an expensive courier service.

I just wrote out a report of how I did it and then reread your OP, so shove it, if you're too lazy to do it yourself stop complaining and get Key Visa to do it. You obviously have money to burn after reading your stuff on the Breakfast Club so a 5k fee is peanuts to you.

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I just wrote out a report of how I did it and then reread your OP, so shove it, if you're too lazy to do it yourself stop complaining and get Key Visa to do it. You obviously have money to burn after reading your stuff on the Breakfast Club so a 5k fee is peanuts to you.

What on earth are you talking about? I can't see your report anywhere obvious.

Not sure what you've seen on Breakfast Club, but you certainly seem to be the 1 with a bad attitude.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, fygjam said:

Ask BM Jambo, he recently renewed his.

He may also be able to give you the skinny on getting your "permission to stay" etc transferred over.

Yes, I completed the process of collecting my new UK Passport from Immigration last week having had a whole page of various stamps transferred from old to new.

At the risk of being ridiculed for being lazy etc etc I admit to using Thai Visa Express to obtain the Passport itself on my behalf at a cost of 5,000 baht.

Shame on me. 😀

I visited their office and gave the lady my old passport and she entered all the information she needed into a PC and printed off a form for me to sign. She returned the photo's I initially submitted as she told me they would have been rejected by the UK Passport Office as I was smiling and apparently you are not allowed to show teeth. There is a photo shop just round the corner in Soi Bukhou so I was back in 15 minutes.

She told me she would phone in a few days so I could collect my old Passport just in case I needed it and that the new one would take about 3 weeks to arrive. She phoned 4 days later and In fact it took exactly 3 weeks to the day after the first phone call.  On collecting the new e-Passport she gave me a form the Passport Office provide addressed to "Immigration" requesting their assistance in transferring visa's from the old to new passport.

Thai Visa Express did  what they said they would do and exactly in the time frame they indicated.

Immigration:

The next day at Immigration puts you in the same queue as expats renewing Retirement Visa's so be prepared for a wait. Another more detailed form to complete at Immigration and initially a copy of page 1 of both passports. Then the processing lady turned the corner of another 5 pages in my old passport and sent me to copy each page. Took less than 10 minutes processing and I was in and out of Immigration in about 45 minutes.

Returned the next day (after 2 pm) showed my number and new passport with a whole first page of five different stamps handed over. No more than 5 minutes in and out of Immigration.

I hope the renewal of my Retirement Visa next month goes as smoothly. I do that myself and this year I will remember not to wait more than a day or two after obtaining the confirmation letter from the bank. I think it was 4 days old last year and they sent me off to the local Kasikorn bank in Jomtien to get a replacement.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, barsie said:

What on earth are you talking about? I can't see your report anywhere obvious.

Not sure what you've seen on Breakfast Club, but you certainly seem to be the 1 with a bad attitude.

I deleted my report and links after rereading your OP and seeing your post saying "Well it's when you have near infinite amounts of time on your hands. Makes worth doing research- a nice saving= a slap up meal with a decent over priced bottle of red 😄"

Do your all research and you'll find that you could take the bus to Bangkok, get on the BTS and get off very close to the office and return for about 300bt all in. And when it's ready for collection you can send someone else and slip them a few hundred baht. Win win for you as you'll save 4,000bt and then just think how many bottles of Red you could get for that !

I won't knock Jambo for using the agency as he's working and doesn't have infinite time to spare.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

5k would be worth it.

No .... a "power of attorney" does it for you at the US Embassy ....

Yea, I agree .. 5K is peanuts ... especially if you don't want to deal with the fucking traffic nightmares in BKK

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

5 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

No .... a "power of attorney" does it for you at the US Embassy ....

Similar to the British passport but no longer done at the embassy, I could've sent anyone to get my new passport but I would have had to give them a letter of approval and some other stuff so I guess they would be the "power of attorney" ?

10 hours ago, KWA said:

Must have changed as I did mine a few months ago.  All on line and could be tracked, but they wouldn't start anything until the old one had been received.  Just a few days to process though.

Fair enough. Might be still an option though. Scan your passport with a few copies for yourself and send it DHL....Andys new one came in days back home sounds like yours did. As long as OP is happy to be without physical passport for a week seems perfectly doable.

Very worse case scenario OP ends up going Bangkok for new passport anyway

18 hours ago, KWA said:

But where were you doing it from, Thailand or the UK ? In the UK it can be done online, it's possible  to get it done online in Thailand and have it sent to a UK address but the UK passport office will not send it to a Thai address. Plus don't forget it's a legal requirement in Thailand to have your passport available for inspection at all times so sending it back to the UK is a no no and you need the old one for transferring visas.

15 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Plus don't forget it's a legal requirement in Thailand to have your passport available for inspection at all times

you been reading too much Thaivisa.com.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Fondles said:

you been reading too much Thaivisa.com.

Stopped going on there about 10 years ago when I asked a question about topless sunbathing for ladies in Thailand. Maybe you can guess how well that went 😂😂

15 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Stopped going on there about 10 years ago when I asked a question about topless sunbathing for ladies in Thailand. Maybe you can guess how well that went 😂😂

Thais are right into sunbathing.

00000.jpg

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Thais are right into sunbathing.

She's tidy.

"n the UK it can be done online, it's possible  to get it done online in Thailand and have it sent to a UK address but the UK passport office will not send it to a Thai address"

Well they will send them to the Philippines! I renewed mine about six months ago on line. Downloaded the forms, followed the directions, used a local carrier to send it to the UK passport people. Got it back, with the old passport, about 2 weeks later. 

Sign in to follow this