Sign in to follow this  
Horizondave

Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

Saw this article on MSN today so had a look.  I don't agree with all of it (the order) but it pretty much covers some of the best guitarists that have been around. I do agree Jimi Hendrix was in a class of his own but whether that makes him the greatest guitarist is up for debate in my book. I actually think Prince should be higher up the list as well as Angus Young.

https://www.history101.com/greatest-guitarists-all-time/?utm_source=talas&utm_campaign=A_TS_H101_UK_D_greatestguitarists_Gallery_v1_2006-The+43+Greatest+Guitarists+Of+All+Time%2C+Ranked-https%3A%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fcaw-uploads%2F3967ff718049bc54dae35776eb14a8de.&utm_term=msn-uk-home&utm_medium=A_TS_H101_UK_D_greatestguitarists_Gallery_v1_2006&utm_content=gallery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One flaw in the order that sticks out the most IMO is Kurt Cobain (shouldn't even be on the list) rated higher than David Gilmour. WTF?? Prince was one of the most underrated guitarists of all time (not by his peers though) as is Mike McCready of Pearl Jam. Oh and where the F is Steve Howe on the list? 

It's all subjective I guess, everyone's opinion will differ and will also depend on the type of music one likes.

I've always been a rock fan, so perhaps biased in that direction, but personally I think that list is pretty dreadful.

How can Ritchie Blackmore not be in the top 10, let alone the top 43? Mick Box (Uriah Heep) also completely missing and Tommy Iommi being so low is not right IMHO.

Although Boston are not that well know these days, Tom Sholtz is also an outstanding guitarist.

• Thumbs Up 2

Crikey ,blimey o`reilly, No Gary Moore, that is Insane.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Britboy said:

It's all subjective I guess, everyone's opinion will differ and will also depend on the type of music one likes.

I've always been a rock fan, so perhaps biased in that direction, but personally I think that list is pretty dreadful.

Me too,  which is why I cannot believe Mark Knoppfler is not there somewhere.

Clapton, Richards, Townsend, Page are still my musical icons since I first saw and heard all of them performing live whilst I was still at School. It was a great time to hear live music in small clubs in London.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Binlid said:

Crikey ,blimey o`reilly, No Gary Moore, that is Insane.

Beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Me too,  which is why I cannot believe Mark Knoppfler is not there somewhere.

Clapton, Richards, Townsend, Page are still my musical icons since I first saw and heard all of them performing live whilst I was still at School. It was a great time to hear live music in small clubs in London.

Absolutely Mark Knopfler . . . . 

And what about Mick Jones of Foreigner. One of their best live tracks is Juke Box Hero, great live, especially in the old days when Lou Gramm was the vocalist.

Here's a more recent version - the solo from 6 to 9 minutes is exceptional.

Yeah have seen many of these " best guitarist" over the years....subjective to say the least. Some good candidates here for sure..but then again some questionable ones too. Joni Mitchell is here and not Robin Trower??  My Son will have a " stroke" if Kirk Hammet is not here either??  

Well as S4L has said, no Steve Howe?  Seriously....read the info from Wikipedia below and some one has some explaining to do. Ok subjective again, but being a die hard "Yes"  "Asia" fan for many years, Howe is pretty good. I personally think his best work was on  "Tales from Topographic Oceans"  Not to beat a "dead horse" to death but, having met and talked to him 4 times at the "meet/greets" over a few years, pretty mellow guy, shy in a since really. Will very calmly answer your questions and talk music with you. He can be kind of a "prima donna" at times though. You are all told that Steve Howe has a "few rules" that cannot be broken at the backstage meet. You cannot shake hands with him, he will not sign any Guitars ( who in  gods name would lug a Guitar along at a concert)?  He will not sign any " sheet music" etc. He will sign any pics of himself and albums, CD's, T-shirts etc. Ok we all have our rules right?  

The late Chris Squire that we were on the same flight with back in 2013 in Reno,  when I asked him "Where is Steve"?  he put his arm around me and said " Mike, Mr Howe does not fly commercial airlines anymore" with a big grin on his face. Cool..

Some pics in 1976 and some recent ones......July 28th here, I cannot wait for wifey to ask Mr. Howe some questions, we are doing the meet/greet here. She has already been warned not to ask him  " Steve, hab U eber want to come to Tie.......land?"  LOL! 

Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.[25] The only other two guitarists to win the "Best Overall Guitarist" category for the "Gallery of Greats" are Steve Morse and Eric Johnson.

Gibson Guitar Corporation, the maker of Howe's second electric guitar (which he was still playing forty years later), said that Howe "elevated rock guitar into an art form" and "helped define a new style of music known as art rock." In a tribute to Howe and his personal favourite ES-175 guitar, Gibson produced a Steve Howe Signature ES-175 in 2002.[41]

Howe received a Prog God award at the 2018 Progressive Music Awards in September.[42

2-18-2006-08 (2).JPG

2-18-2006-13.JPG

DSCN2527.jpg

DSCN7826.JPG

DSCN8085.JPG

DSCN9784.JPG

DSCN9802.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes I was not impressed by the list in general as many are missing.

Pete Frampton should get a mention but where the hell is Rory Gallagher, one of the best. I was also a great fan of Mountain's lead guitarist Leslie West and Alvin Lee of Ten Years After but of course there are so many more.

• Like 1

Here's the thing about "best guitarist" lists: they're popularity contests voted on by people with little or no knowledge of what they're supposedly voting on.  I'd put Randy Rhoades, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Segovia on my list, and I'd leave off Eddie Van Halen.  Am I right?  Dunno, but listen to this and ask why he isn't on your list.

Answer: who the f**k is this guy?

• Like 1

Don't know if he's on the list as it was too slow to go through them,but Michael Schenker is one of my Favourites.Awesome guitarist.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baldylocks said:

Hank Marvin could hold his own

Looking like him, he would have to! :default_dirol:

I will throw an aussie into the equation...… Tommy Emmanuel...….. once described by Chet Atkins as one of the greatest guitar players he had ever seen.

cheers

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, roobob said:

I will throw an aussie into the equation...… Tommy Emmanuel...….. once described by Chet Atkins as one of the greatest guitar players he had ever seen.

cheers

very good is tommy 

• Thumbs Up 1

check out carvin jones seen him a couple of times in London but he tours mostly in the states 

4 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

That list is utter crap.... why no Yngwie J Malmsteen ?

I can take about 2 minutes of his inane widdling.Has great ability but is boring to listen to.

Sign in to follow this