Hong Kong (Threads Merged)

roobob

A little more menace ......

Chinese military can be deployed at Hong Kong’s request to contain protests, Beijing says

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3019854/chinese-military-can-be-deployed-hong-kongs-request-contain

Plenty offense about Legco building invasion and Bejing representative office blockade, but not a word about the white shirts sending 40+ people to the hospital....

On 7/23/2019 at 10:57 PM, Thai Spice said:

A little more menace ......

Chinese military can be deployed at Hong Kong’s request to contain protests, Beijing says

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3019854/chinese-military-can-be-deployed-hong-kongs-request-contain

Plenty offense about Legco building invasion and Bejing representative office blockade, but not a word about the white shirts sending 40+ people to the hospital....

Sign of the future. Too bad as I really liked HK. It's off the list now.

13 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Sign of the future. Too bad as I really liked HK. It's off the list now.

Naah, I doubt they would intervene now, but sure their future is sealed....

HKG can still be good fun at the moment I am sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bejing using all its power and leverage to make the situation more dramatic, justifying an intervention.

See what they threatened Cathay with. No way HKG airport authorities would cancel all flights without being forced to by the HKG pro Bejing authorities.  Specially as there was no major disruption to flight operations.

See the way Chinese press, who has till now kept silent, is now "informing" the masses of what happens. Read SCMP (South China Morning Post) 

This is a very tricky situation for Bejing as those demonstrations could give ideas to some students in mainland China. Hence it need to be killed in the egg, but not easy because of worldwide scrutiny.

They used the harsh method against their Muslim minority (Uyghurk) massively throwing them in camps, but they cant do same in HKG.

But for Xi who has long term plans for a Great China ,no way a few million people are going to stop him. They weight nothing vs the 1,5 Billion "good patriots".

The only hope HKG has is a massive involvement of ALL the HKG population. But it is to avoid this that China is massively diluting the HKG population with a mainlander immigration since 10 years.

So you will have counter demos, and mainly at a moment the good mainlanders will feel threathened by those horrible mobs, and China will have to come protect them....

Lets wait and see, but I cant see this going well. 

On top of this, if Bejing shows weakness in HKG it will make Taiwan feel more confident that they can win their battle for independance...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Bejing using all its power and leverage to make the situation more dramatic, justifying an intervention.

See what they threatened Cathay with. No way HKG airport authorities would cancel all flights without being forced to by the HKG pro Bejing authorities.  Specially as there was no major disruption to flight operations.

See the way Chinese press, who has till now kept silent, is now "informing" the masses of what happens. Read SCMP (South China Morning Post) 

This is a very tricky situation for Bejing as those demonstrations could give ideas to some students in mainland China. Hence it need to be killed in the egg, but not easy because of worldwide scrutiny.

They used the harsh method against their Muslim minority (Uyghurk) massively throwing them in camps, but they cant do same in HKG.

But for Xi who has long term plans for a Great China ,no way a few million people are going to stop him. They weight nothing vs the 1,5 Billion "good patriots".

The only hope HKG has is a massive involvement of ALL the HKG population. But it is to avoid this that China is massively diluting the HKG population with a mainlander immigration since 10 years.

So you will have counter demos, and mainly at a moment the good mainlanders will feel threathened by those horrible mobs, and China will have to come protect them....

Lets wait and see, but I cant see this going well. 

On top of this, if Bejing shows weakness in HKG it will make Taiwan feel more confident that they can win their battle for independance...

I think this issue has potential to grow into a massively huge international cluster.

A very real and serious one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I think this issue has potential to grow into a massively huge international cluster.

A very real and serious one.

Yes.

Its all in the hand of Bejing now. All depend on their reaction. 

A guy like Xi sure dont like to show weakness, or to lose face. Besides that, there are plenty people in his governement that are probably waiting for him to make the wrong step. 

But on an international level, no country will risk its commercial relations with China just to defend HKG. Look at the US / China trade war. US is barking, China is just waiting. 2020 / 2024 , they dont care.

This is a cold shower wake up for HKG. In 97 many were celebrating the end of the "colonial invaders". They never understood (till now) that they were going to be eaten, but for real this time.

Remember China was a huge empire, and definitively  intends to be the next nr ONE economic empire again. And they will, because they dont have to bother about "democracy"

After "further investigation" it shows that the demonstrators first limited in in the arrival area (G.L.) later swamped the checking area (L 1) making check in impossible.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3022508/hong-kong-protesters-cripple-airport-beijing-raises-stakes

11406830-3x2-940x627.jpg

3b08c128-bcfd-11e9-8f25-9b5536624008_1320x770_010833.JPG.jpg

11406814-3x2-460x307.jpg

Pprune forum mention Cathay and Dragon Air crew in China being subjected to serious scrutiny by immigration, phones inspected looking for any sign of involvement in the movement.

Police has been firing teargas inside an underground MTR station which is madness, and a complete lack of professionalism.

This could be a lot bigger than when the Thais took over an airport and have a lot more ramifications for Hong Kong than Thailand back then..

I read a few comments on different fora when it happened in Thailand and that no such action would not occur in nearby Asian countries...… well that has been proven wrong and it appears that it will be a lot worse there.

cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roobob said:

This could be a lot bigger than when the Thais took over an airport and have a lot more ramifications for Hong Kong than Thailand back then..

I read a few comments on different fora when it happened in Thailand and that no such action would not occur in nearby Asian countries...… well that has been proven wrong and it appears that it will be a lot worse there.

cheers

For the HKG people a lot more is at stake than in the Thailand case.

Basically it is about keeping a little bit of freedom and autonomie or being turned 100% in just another Chinese province.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roobob said:

cheers

Much bigger, much much bigger.

Those Hong Kong folks are not going to go down easy. And this situation has major international implications.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, Thai Spice said:

Interesting read and marvelous example of China's diplomatic language....

To read with a smile and a pinch of salt !

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/article/the-dragon-lays-out-its-road-map-denies-seeking-hegemony/

TS,

I reckon you are more than happy to be in Bali right about now and not in HK.

looks like you got out of there at the right time,do you reckon that HK is never going to be the same place?

regards

grayray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grayray said:

TS,

I reckon you are more than happy to be in Bali right about now and not in HK.

looks like you got out of there at the right time,do you reckon that HK is never going to be the same place?

regards

grayray

Gray,

I saw it changing in the 8 years I lived there, and sure for those who have know the pre 97 era the change was even bigger.

The future looks bleak. Most of the people I knew have left, mainly because construction is going down.  Same in finance, chinezation (replacing expats by locals) is in full swing. Next generation of expats will probably be mainlanders.

Remember that the 97 agreement guaranteed a 50 y"transition" period before full integration in 2047. Bejing is just trying to speed things up.

The old generation didn't see it coming, the younger and more educated ones are realizing what is going to happen. And if anybody ever doubted about China beeing a totalitarian, ruthless regime with no room for democracy, they have seen the light.

Sadly I think the actual movement can only be a "baroud d'honneur" and in the long term they will be silenced.  

I hope not, lets see.

Concerning me, moving on every "x" years has been my moto since neraly 50y.  Just need to start planning moving my money from HKG to SGP if things turn really bad.

Cheers. 

• Like 1