Hong Kong (Threads Merged)

roobob

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Wanchai bars you'll be fine.  And thats where the fun is.

Been one of more tear gassed zones! Everyone of big marches from Vic Park to Legco goes down Hennessy and when dusk settles in and front liners begin the confrontational tactics the police respond and front liners retreat back into Wanchai and further east often spilling onto Lockhardt. Forget the lil detail about Police HQ right there at end of Lockhardt.

Personally I have sucked up some tear gas fumes on Lockhardt between Fenwick and Luard on 2 different occassions in last month. 

For people who live in HK it is quite easy to avoid all the bs, and safety is not a concern...essentially just stay at home, especially after the sun sets on a Saturday or Sunday night. But for anyone not living there....I will disagree with Spicey.....very stupid to go on a leisure visit to Hong Kong right now. The absurdly low hotel rates might be enticing, but good luck to you when you are wandering around tourist laden zones at 9pm and suddenly the mass transit stations are closed leaving you stranded, 75% of shops close down and water cannons come cruising down the street followed by a pack of over zealous raptors.

The worst of it all 10000% still to come. 

• Great Info 1

3 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

Been one of more tear gassed zones! Everyone of big marches from Vic Park to Legco goes down Hennessy and when dusk settles in and front liners begin the confrontational tactics the police respond and front liners retreat back into Wanchai and further east often spilling onto Lockhardt. Forget the lil detail about Police HQ right there at end of Lockhardt.

Personally I have sucked up some tear gas fumes on Lockhardt between Fenwick and Luard on 2 different occassions in last month. 

For people who live in HK it is quite easy to avoid all the bs, and safety is not a concern...essentially just stay at home, especially after the sun sets on a Saturday or Sunday night. But for anyone not living there....I will disagree with Spicey.....very stupid to go on a leisure visit to Hong Kong right now. The absurdly low hotel rates might be enticing, but good luck to you when you are wandering around tourist laden zones at 9pm and suddenly the mass transit stations are closed leaving you stranded, 75% of shops close down and water cannons come cruising down the street followed by a pack of over zealous raptors.

The worst of it all 10000% still to come. 

Agreed SG.This is going around in HK in various chat groups 

0a42b9c3-2caa-43f9-aab6-02a294d66e96 (1).JPG

Just now, STARGAZER said:

I just moved my Tues night flight back to 852 to early Wed morning. What a stupid oversight it was to be thinking 6pm on Oct 1 would be a good time to be touching down.

I was there the other week.Landed on the Sunday afternoon the airport express and trains smashed up.Luckily I got the last train into town before it kicked off.Could see streams of protesters heading to the airport along the highway as I was heading into town

Tip I was given.Always arrive in the morning as the protesters are still in bed.After 11am it gets going

And meanwhile in the new street protests in Indonesia 2 deaths by bullet already. Those folk need to stand up and keep fighting because those new laws being discussed are outrageous. Spicey what will you do if they actually pass that insanity. It basically would make you a candidate for a very very Long prison sentence seeing as you are not married to your gal.....

6 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

Surely not going to be a good stretch to be hanging around a Starbucks in 852 next few weeks as they appear to be the new target. Big mistake Maxim's Group made not staying neutral!

Its crazy, the whole thing has gone to far now.
Right back to watching the Buckeyes handing the Huskers a footballing education...

Edited by flog

3 minutes ago, flog said:

I was there the other week.Landed on the Sunday afternoon the airport express and trains smashed up.Luckily I got the last train into town before it kicked off.Could see streams of protesters heading to the airport along the highway as I was heading into town

Tip I was given.Always arrive in the morning as the protesters are still in bed.After 11am it gets going

Hate to see what is happening but I am still on the side they are more patriots than protestors!  

Going to take 20 years before HK economically will ever recover to where it was 1 year ago, but still...if the Canto get better control of their own destiny via Universal Suffrage it will be a better place in 25 years.

Hate to be a pessimist...but on the Universal Suffrage issue.....next up SGP....I predict massive street protest there within 18 mos.....maybe it is the Greta Thornburg effect???? 

4 minutes ago, flog said:

Its crazy, the whole thing has gone to far now.
Right back to watching the Buckeyes handing the Huskers a footballing education...

Jalen Hurts another 400 yard day.....crap looking like Oklahoma might have back to back to back Heisman winners at QB with 3 different guys!

GO GEORGIA BULLDOGS!

12 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

Hate to see what is happening but I am still on the side they are more patriots than protestors!  

Going to take 20 years before HK economically will ever recover to where it was 1 year ago, but still...if the Canto get better control of their own destiny via Universal Suffrage it will be a better place in 25 years.

Hate to be a pessimist...but on the Universal Suffrage issue.....next up SGP....I predict massive street protest there within 18 mos.....maybe it is the Greta Thornburg effect???? 

Funny you mention that.Govt here are already putting out via the media that anyone even attempting thinking about doing such a thing will be arrested on the spot.Changing the law as well for asking for police permission to demonstrate.As usual they are steps ahead.
Election here soon. The wealth divide is bigger than ever and yes its all to do with property and money.For years Singaporean citizens  have  the right to buy Govt built apartments(HDB).This was based on the UK idea of social housing.Problem has come to light that its not freehold,its a 99 year lease.People saved up bought a place, and want to hand it down to their families once they pass away.Suddenly thats only 40 odd years away or a generation and a half.Realization setting in that its just like renting really.You dont ever really own the place.The idea is that the Govt will build a load more new places, tearing down the old, rehouse the tenants and then offer them to buy the new build, ...again on a 99 year lease.

Even the locals, as tunnel vision that they normally have, are beginning to see that its just smoke and mirrors, and the only people that really benefit are the developers and Govt...sound familiar

Edited by flog
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, flog said:

Funny you mention that.Govt here are already putting out via the media that anyone even attempting thinking about doing such a thing will be arrested on the spot.Changing the law as well for asking for police permission to demonstrate.As usual they are steps ahead.
Election here soon. The wealth divide is bigger than ever and yes its all to do with property and money.For years Singaporean citizens  have  the right to buy Govt built apartments(HDB).This was based on the UK idea of social housing.Problem has come to light that its not freehold,its a 99 year lease.People saved up bought a place, and want to hand it down to their families once they pass away.Suddenly thats only 40 odd years away or a generation and a half.Realization setting in that its just like renting really.You dont ever really own the place.The idea is that the Govt will build a load more new places, tearing down the old, rehouse the tenants and then offer them to buy the new build, ...again on a 99 year lease.

Even the locals, as tunnel vision that they normally have, are beginning to see that its just smoke and mirrors, and the only people that really benefit are the developers and Govt...sound familiar

hammer, nail...bang!

35 minutes ago, STARGAZER said:

And meanwhile in the new street protests in Indonesia 2 deaths by bullet already. Those folk need to stand up and keep fighting because those new laws being discussed are outrageous. Spicey what will you do if they actually pass that insanity. It basically would make you a candidate for a very very Long prison sentence seeing as you are not married to your gal.....

Thats not gonna be applied any time soon in Bali !

TBH, I dont worry in the short term, but the long term doesn't look good. But I know that since 2 years already. Islamization is rampant (except in Bali), and KSA pours some serious money in the country towards this.

The Papua thing is again another matter, going back for historic reasons.

6 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Gents, what did I write ? Avoid the weekend....

I have some mates still living there, still hang out in Q.V. but most looking for new horizons as the future is bleak.

Better of here at the beach with a beer !

You paying attention to the growing unrest there in Indo and how it could effect your lil beajungle lifestyle...world really needs to be paying attention to that one.

1 minute ago, STARGAZER said:

You paying attention to the growing unrest there in Indo and how it could effect your lil beajungle lifestyle...world really needs to be paying attention to that one.

Am always been aware of the situation in the jungle.

You know, this not living together without being married has been a normal custom since always. Read my post in my thread preceding the Missus son wedding. No way the girl slept over at the house before being married. 

And it was a serious question mark first time we went there, before we moved to Indo. But elder brother and village head gave their OK that I stayed in the house.

One of the many problems of the proposed law reform is that it includes a paragraph that all regional, traditional, religious customs would become LOCAL laws. And that's an open door to anything goes.

Note also that even if the laws is passed, it only applies if a complaint is logged by the family or, in case of infidelity, by the wife.or husband.

Extending my yearly visa next month, but it is already clear in my mind that 2020 may be a year of another decision and change of route.

I am making a prediction the Hong Kong protest will be over in due time......

Solution in the making.....

Let the protesters continue to protest...

Send in some agent provocateurs to make sure the protest keep getting more and more nasty....

Protests graduate from signs and shouting to fires and random bombings...Make sure sure some people get hurt and maybe a few deaths....Make sure this gets lots of news coverage....

The final straw will be when some police get killed which will be the excuse needed to send in the mainland troops...

The story will be China did not want to send in the mainland army but were forced to to restore order..

And this just proves Hong Kong is not fit to rule themselves..So we are taking Hong Kong over for their own good...

China's goal accomplished..

38 minutes ago, fforest said:

I am making a prediction the Hong Kong protest will be over in due time......

Solution in the making.....

Let the protesters continue to protest...

Send in some agent provocateurs to make sure the protest keep getting more and more nasty....

Protests graduate from signs and shouting to fires and random bombings...Make sure sure some people get hurt and maybe a few deaths....Make sure this gets lots of news coverage....

The final straw will be when some police get killed which will be the excuse needed to send in the mainland troops...

The story will be China did not want to send in the mainland army but were forced to to restore order..

And this just proves Hong Kong is not fit to rule themselves..So we are taking Hong Kong over for their own good...

China's goal accomplished..

Not sure you understand why a PLA Tianamen like has not already happened....reality is at this point in time, CCP needs HK more than HK needs CCP. Take some time and watch this....much more at stake here for the CCP. They are on the ropes and reeling behind the scenes as we speak. (Note CCP is not China, it is merely the current ruling party and Monday will be its 70th Anniversary,...CHINA has been a sovereign state for 5000 years.....China will prosper in a substainable fashion but CCP is almost finished!

Well, the shit scared UK Government let it go so the Chinese are bringing it into line. A few bullets and executions and that's that. No more spoiled chinks, sorted and Bossed. 

Edited by farangme

57 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Shit continues to hit the fan. It will continue to escalate, no doubt. 

I'd avoid there big time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/world/asia/hong-kong-protest.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Since 2 months, the first time a cop in panic pulled his gun out, I knew.it was a accident.waiting to happen.

The story which made the web of a.cop aiming a shotgun directly at demonstrators was another example of total lack of professionnalism. Never, ever point a loaded gun towards people in a demo ...  Even shooting in the air is stupid, bullets will come back down.

Problem is that the HKG police are a very good police at normal duties but they are not a riot police force, as in fact there never was any serious demos or riots in HKG in the past.

And when you use "normal" police for crowd control it is usually a unorganized mess.  Same thing has been proven, and largely discussed, during the yellow jackets demos in France.  Regular police, plain clothes investigation officers, traffic police, etc thrown in. And when you see who had the most incidents, it was them. 

Sadly, it has also been proven that only violence and victims will really have the government listen to the people.

Anyway, that young generation has understood one thing : if they lose, they end up living like mainlanders with zero civil rights, zero freedom of press, internet access controlled, and big brother monitoring all of their movements.

Search "social credit in China". Some good docus on Youtube as well.

The only hope they have IMO, is to keep the "1 country 2 systems" status quo as is till Xi goes (he aint very young) and hoping his successor will be less hardcore and the party line will soften.

But, yeah, as a French I am biaised ..."when you fight for freedom, you're ALWAYS right".  

Edit : concerning the gun thing, anybody who had some gun training will know that you NEVER aim a loaded gun at anybody (except if you really intend to shoot him).  Guns safety off, and bullet in the chamber in font of a civilian demo is a nono. 

Edited by Thai Spice

Victim shot in the chest, clearly wounded, police all around, one cop pins a demonstrator to the ground, but none of the cops even has a look at the victim ? FFS, they know they just shot him ?

In my country that would be sued for "non assistance to a person in danger"