Hong Kong (Threads Merged)

roobob

12 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

HongKong isn't as important economically to China as it once may have been .... think this is behind China's changing stance 

from an article a couple of years ago 

0F824672-CCE3-4AA6-AC25-2E6E678E3E94.jpeg

It is not "behind" China's stand. It was a part of the plan. 

Thats why they created the Shenzen free trade zone just at HKG's door. To slowly transfer the economic activity from HKG to Shenzen, and rendering HKG less critical for China's economy.  Hence opening stock exchanges and planning one day to make the RMB an international recognized currency. Etc.....

And even if a few 100,000 Honkies emigrate to other countries , China is not gonna lose sleep about it. So much less "revolutionary troublemakers" standing in the way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, alias said:

Hong Kong is a dry run for Taiwan.  If they crush dissent there, and the world stands idly by, wait for it......

There is a little difference. Taiwan would require a seaborne military operation, HKG it is just hopping over to "assist". Dont forget there are already 1000's of PLA troops stationned in HKG since 97.

But yes, Taiwan must be watching this closely.

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

There is a little difference. Taiwan would require a seaborne military operation, HKG it is just hopping over to "assist". Dont forget there are already 1000's of PLA troops stationned in HKG since 97.

But yes, Taiwan must be watching this closely.

Yes, I'm well aware of the differences.  We should be paying attention to the similarities.  China will be.

14 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, the biggest dealmaker, smartest0 negociator, best financial adviser of the world is gonna solve it !

In case Xi is not experienced enough the Emperor of Twatter is offering a meeting to teach him......

Screenshot_20190815-094114_Samsung Internet-600x1067.jpg

Where are the roll eyes ? 

I'm sure Xi (they) are very impressed. lol

Sheeet... They are going to hold off for a good long time. Milk him and the U.S., wait to see who is next elected, position themselves for the best deal and cut it with the next Prez.

18 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I'm sure Xi (they) are very impressed. lol

Sheeet... They are going to hold off for a good long time. Milk him and the U.S., wait to see who is next elected, position themselves for the best deal and cut it with the next Prez.

Milk Trump?

Come on get real, China has far more to lose in a trade war than America, and it's showing. Foreign companies are starting to move out of China and the economy is dropping like a rock.

Besides, the next president is going to be Tump anyway

25 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

Milk Trump?

Come on get real, China has far more to lose in a trade war than America, and it's showing. Foreign companies are starting to move out of China and the economy is dropping like a rock.

Besides, the next president is going to be Tump anyway

Please dont turn this in a pro / anti Trump or dem/lib ...

Subject is HKG.  You are most welcome to open a specific monologue in a dedicated thread.

11 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Subject is HKG.  You are most welcome to open a specific monologue in a dedicated thread.

He mentioned the present US president not me.

I didn't turn this into that. I simply gave specific examples how his statements were false.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

On 7/16/2019 at 2:38 AM, Thai Spice said:

Would be fun to see him meeting Trump ....

On 7/3/2019 at 9:56 PM, Thai Spice said:

They did it rather discreetly, contrary to USA who always brags, and hoped that the world would not notice before they had the lead. The actual economic war that Trump started has thrown a wrench in the gears for the moment. But they have time, plenty of it.

ts.jpg

Edited by alias
  • Haha 2

This is IMHO I see it end.

A young, mobile, demanding generation emigrating. The ones without money or qualifications have no choice but to stay, and will be absorbed by Bejing. The older generation is unlikely to move, they'll simply wait the end.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3023166/port-storm-emigrating-hongkongers-seek-stability-elsewhere

Emigrating Hongkongers seek stability elsewhere, heading to Australia, Canada, Singapore

Not that I would choice Singapore, as there is not much more freedom there, but for a Chinese I can understand the choice.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

They must have plenty of time and money if they are emigrating to Aus.

As I said only a minority will manage.

Note that a important number of people have the British Overseas Passport. Not sure about how many kept it renewed and "active".

Hence you can read about those people now asking UK for the right to abode. Quite a number have a Canadian passport. I knew a HK girl who had both, she was aware this shit might happen one day and wanted to keep her options open. 

But again, "forcing" an important part of the population to volonteerily emigrate is just a "soft" form of ethnic cleaning....

You probably know also that Aus is heavily influenced by mainland China, that there is a huge community (students) of mainland Chinese there, so as a Honkie it would  not be my 1st choice.

Canada seems much better.

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

As I said only a minority will manage.

Note that a important number of people have the British Overseas Passport. Not sure about how many kept it renewed and "active".

Hence you can read about those people now asking UK for the right to abode. Quite a number have a Canadian passport. I knew a HK girl who had both, she was aware this shit might happen one day and wanted to keep her options open. 

But again, "forcing" an important part of the population to volonteerily emigrate is just a "soft" form of ethnic cleaning....

You probably know also that Aus is heavily influenced by mainland China, that there is a huge community (students) of mainland Chinese there, so as a Honkie it would  not be my 1st choice.

Canada seems much better.

To be honest I dont really care.. my post was merely implying emigrating to Aus is not a cheap or quick exercise so surprises me it is a desired destination.

4 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Rupert Hogg - I dips me lid to you -

The Cathay Pacific CEO was asked to provide the CCP with a list of the names of employees who have participated in the protests.

He gave them a list with one name on it – his own. Then he resigned his job.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3765103

His assistant resigned also.

Probably both will be replaced with marionnettes at Bejing's order. 

Same as Carrie Lam has zero power to decide anything outside of the party line.

Any major company that in the future dares to go against the "plan" will be silenced one or other way. 

PS : Taiwan is not necessarily an objective source, as they have a serious problem with Bejing also and are a bit biaised.

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

PS : Taiwan is not necessarily an objective source, as they have a serious problem with Bejing also and are a bit biaised.

I Don't blame them for that.

This is how Bejing would like to see HKG and Taiwan. Obedient ....like Macau.

Note the population.profile is completely different, strong immigration from the mainland having completely diluted the original Macau.

Don't 'mess up Macau': gambling hub set to choose Beijing-backed leader

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1VB0HY