Hong Kong (Threads Merged)

roobob

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

The Two British Cops are getting lots of 'attention' from the UK press.

I am in fact surprised there still are some expat cops, considering the Chinesation !  Seems to still be around 60 of them. 

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/07/17/hong-kongs-expat-police-officers-targeted-protesters-beijings-bidding/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hong-kong-protesters-turn-ire-on-british-officers-after-clashes-with-police-over-china-extradition-bill-frg8b3hg3

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Continues to escalate. Unfortuante.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Continues to escalate. Unfortuante.

Sadly, as often, escalation by the demonstrators is the only way to show the government that this is a serious matter. When quiete and peacefull, it has no impact. See Yellow Jackets in France.

But here I cant see Bejing throwing in the towel. They may make a concession on something, but they give it another try in 6 months or a year. This is the 3rd time.

Future is worrysome, whatever the outcome and whoever wins :

"Rating agencies have raised long-term questions over the quality of Hong Kong's governance."

But an increasingly assertive Beijing is fuelling larger concerns. Mainland regulatory scrutiny on airline Cathay Pacific (HK:0293) over the involvement of some of its employees in the protests will affect Hong Kong's image as a safe place for business.

A 1992 U.S.-Hong Kong Policy Act allowing Washington to have a different customs regime with Hong Kong than with mainland China is also crucial for economic stability. For it to stand, U.S. authorities need to see Hong Kong as sufficiently independent from Beijing, therefore movements of mainland troops at the border in Shenzhen are worrying.

Many investors have chosen to leave Hong Kong, and some banks and (multinationals) have started planning on moving their base to other nearby Asian cities.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests-economy-analysis/battered-hong-kong-faces-economic-recession-existential-crisis-idUSKCN1VG007

On 8/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, Thai Spice said:

Sadly, as often, escalation by the demonstrators is the only way to show the government that this is a serious matter. When quiete and peacefull, it has no impact. See Yellow Jackets in France.

But here I cant see Bejing throwing in the towel. They may make a concession on something, but they give it another try in 6 months or a year. This is the 3rd time.

Just like with Trumps trade war..... Ch...ks have the upper hand. They'll just wait it out. Been doing so for centuries.

• Like 1

Interesting interview, and even although I am sceptical about some things he says, the reality is there. The disappearances, kidnappings and killings (through mock trials) are a well documented fact.  In fact we could easily imagine that the extradition law that started the HKG trouble was probably made was for that purpose.

What he says about the HKD is correct IMO and matches with the opinion in the video I posted in the beginning of this thread. It will disappear and in the future the Yuan will challenge the USD.

I’ll Google the Jack Ma / Ali Baba ownership thing. I am a bit surprised as Baba is on my stock watch list, and I read information and reports about it every week, but this was never mentioned.

He is right about Ant Financials . Ant was split from Baba some time ago.

I remember the story about the guy who fell from a cliff in Provence

I remember the story about the disappearance of the Interpol Director. What he says is very likely true, and indeed probably linked with the above.

The thing about the Chinese government needing to create millions of jobs every year is true. I had a HKG Chinese one day explain me that what the CCP fears most is the army. Indeed it is a peasants and basic workers army, and if the peasants go hungry and the workers jobless it is a big risk because THEY are the Army.

The way Bejing will handle the HK uprising will be a confirmation about how the CCP thinks. And from their policy till now (menacing plenty companies if they don’t behave like good patriots) it doesn’t look good.

The corruption at high level in Chinese politics and business is a fact, and it has been suggested that Xi’s crackdown on it since a few years is merely a “legal” way to eliminate opponents.

Yep, interesting.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:29 AM, Glasseye said:

Just like with Trumps trade war..... Ch...ks have the upper hand. They'll just wait it out. Been doing so for centuries.

Sorry, no. It's exactly the opposite. While they probably do have the upper hand in Hong Kong, they certainly don't have it in what everyone is calling the trade war. The Chinese economy has been growing weaker for the last several years while the American economy has been growing stronger. Notice how China's currency is plunging while the dollar continues to gain strength. 

19 minutes ago, OldAsiaHand said:

Sorry, no. It's exactly the opposite. While they probably do have the upper hand in Hong Kong, they certainly don't have it in what everyone is calling the trade war. The Chinese economy has been growing weaker for the last several years while the American economy has been growing stronger. Notice how China's currency is plunging while the dollar continues to gain strength. 

Hmmm, I disagree. They let the Yuan go down in order to (partially) compensate the lack of competitiveness due to the US new import taxes (called "tariffs" for who know what reason).

Remember that adjusting ones currency has always been a basic move to improve ones prices at export. A too strong currency in a world of weak currencies is a disadvantage.

Their economy slows down a bit yes, but that had started way before agent Orange went mad. Nobody can sustain 7 or 8% growth for 10 or 15 years ! Basic maths.

They are a 4000 y empire, and compared what they have been through in the last 50 years, this is nothing. 

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Hmmm, I disagree. They let the Yuan go down in order to (partially) compensate the lack of competitiveness due to the US new import taxes (called "tariffs" for who know what reason).

Remember that adjusting ones currency has always been a basic move to improve ones prices at export. A too strong currency in a world of weak currencies is a disadvantage.

Their economy slows down a bit yes, but that had started way before agent Orange went mad. Nobody can sustain 7 or 8% growth for 10 or 15 years ! Basic maths.

They are a 4000 y empire, and compared what they have been through in the last 50 years, this is nothing. 

Did you notice the M2 supply graph in the you tube?

China external economy is in a HEAP of trouble.

What kind of news you get down there in Indo.....Jack Ma's sudden resignation from Alibaba and dilution of the VIE ownership from 100% to 20% was 11 months ago and front page news big time...for weeks. 

When you are talking feeding 1.8 billion people, basic maths as you call it would dictate 8% growth needed for 30+ years just to reach % of population above poverty level of avg G20 country.....Basic maths all depends on the starting point..... Basic math is more than %'s my friend! 10% of $10.00 is $1.0   20% of $4.00  is $.80..And when your m2 supply is twice your GDP and issued via printing press to a bank who than loans it out and 40% of that has, nor ever will be paid back, and what little is left RMB can't leave the country...uh that it called road to insolvency once the forex evaporates.

Colateral damage, even not 100% related to HKG.

Met a few, working as security, they all without exception are great guys. A lot of Nepalese in HKG work in the hotel / restaurant / bar business. Most of Nepalese waitresses I met were all nice girls, maybe not the best looking, but great mentality and proper English.

But their country is a bit too cold to retire....

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/3025124/gurkhas-fought-britain-now-hunger-strike-veterans-say-they-are

A very long read, but a good resumé of China's actual situation.

Not saying I 100% agree with everything (specially not with certain probability ratios) but it is one of the best resumé I saw lately on the situation.

The author is of Chinese origin which adds credibility.

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4289231-hong-kong-epicenter-great-power-struggle-china-investment-implications

@STARGAZER ?

On 9/2/2019 at 5:08 PM, Thai Spice said:

A very long read, but a good resumé of China's actual situation.

Not saying I 100% agree with everything (specially not with certain probability ratios) but it is one of the best resumé I saw lately on the situation.

The author is of Chinese origin which adds credibility.

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4289231-hong-kong-epicenter-great-power-struggle-china-investment-implications

@STARGAZER ?

I plan to read that at some point.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...