How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
KWA

New X Ray machines at BKK arrivals

Posted (edited)

This was reported to be happening a year or two ago but it looks like it's for real this time, with X Ray equipment being installed to check luggage of all arriving passengers.

Time to look out what the limits are on cheese, tea bags, toblerones and Fray Bentos pies.

http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372350

The Customs Department will get conveyor belt X-ray machines up and running by the end of this year, enabling it to scan all luggage in search of illegal items and brand-name items smuggled in to avoid paying taxes and to resell.

Edited by KWA
  • Like 2

On the imported food front the main thing they have a hard on for at the moment is raw meat. Understandable, I suppose, given the swine flu epidemic in China that's now spread all over Vietnam and has just entered Cambodia. A pity, as I bring back a stack of Aldi's Aberdeen Angus fillet steaks with me, only a fiver each and they're a lovely bit of beef.

I wonder how you disguise raw meat so that an x-ray machine can't spot it? Better check on Google...lol.

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

On the imported food front the main thing they have a hard on for at the moment is raw meat. Understandable, I suppose, given the swine flu epidemic in China that's now spread all over Vietnam and has just entered Cambodia. A pity, as I bring back a stack of Aldi's Aberdeen Angus fillet steaks with me, only a fiver each and they're a lovely bit of beef.

I wonder how you disguise raw meat so that an x-ray machine can't spot it? Better check on Google...lol.

More important, how you make "fresh" meat survive a 15h to 20 h voyage ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Smuggle it in in containers of ice!

Edited by fygjam

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

More important, how you make "fresh" meat survive a 15h to 20 h voyage ? 

Simples. Been doing it for over 30 years travelling to Africa and SEA. It's frozen to start with, stick it in some good quality cool bags then wrap them in a couple of those foil emergency blankets and insulate that lot with a final layer or cardboard, newspaper or decent strength bubble wrap. Anything that provides good insulation. When i get to my destination 25 or even 30 hours after I left home it's mostly still frozen solid, just the small items with a lower specific heat capacity may be starting to thaw out a little bit. Stick it all in the freezers straight away and that's it. Never had a problem. Don't freeze cheese as it goes crumbly, just stick in a cool bag in the middle of all the frozen stuff and it stays nice and cool like that. I also freeze other stuff that doesn't need to be kept cold just so that they act as extra ice packs in the suitcase.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

Posted (edited)

When I arrived on June 21 @ 9:30pm I saw the X-ray area at the exit was open. First time I have ever seen it open since Swampy opened. One Thai was manning the machine. I was among 300+ Koreans trying to make there way past the machine with no queue. The Thai dude was just haphazardly pointing at people luring them over to X-ray their bags. I am thinking about 1/8 of the people actually were paying attention and listened to him and stopped. 2 Korean girls stopped to gawk at the machine and I just plowed through them as I couldn't be bothered with the randomness. When it becomes more organized, I will abide, until then I really don't want to be held up with that happy horse shit. I am thinking  23 machines with proper queues "might" work. But 1 machine is a cluster of f**kness now. My vape gear is scattered among my check-in suitcase along with my e-liquid in a Hawaiian Tropic bottle. This will not set off any red flags through the machine anyway. So no worries here.

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Steelers4Life said:

When I arrived on June 21 @ 9:30pm I saw the X-ray area at the exit was open. First time I have ever seen it open since Swampy opened. One Thai was manning the machine. I was among 300+ Koreans trying to make there way past the machine with no queue. The Thai dude was just haphazardly pointing at people luring them over to X-ray their bags. I am thinking about 1/8 of the people actually were paying attention and listened to him and stopped. 2 Korean girls stopped to gawk at the machine and I just plowed through them as I couldn't be bothered with the randomness. When it becomes more organized, I will abide, until then I really don't want to be held up with that happy horse shit. I am thinking  23 machines with proper queues "might" work. But 1 machine is a cluster of f**kness now. My vape gear is scattered among my check-in suitcase along with my e-liquid in a Hawaiian Tropic bottle. This will not set off any red flags through the machine anyway. So no worries here.

Don't forget they've still got plainclothes customs cops waiting to pounce on innocent tourists after you've cleared the customs area. Happened to me recently.

I am thinking  23 machines with proper queues "might" work. But 1 machine is a cluster of f**kness now. My vape gear is scattered among my check-in suitcase along with my e-liquid in a Hawaiian Tropic bottle. This will not set off any red flags through the machine anyway. So no worries here.

I don't think there'll be any queuing as the machines will most likely be installed downstairs and luggage X Rayed as it goes onto the baggage retrieval conveyors.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KWA said:

I don't think there'll be any queuing as the machines will most likely be installed downstairs and luggage X Rayed as it goes onto the baggage retrieval conveyors.

Depends mate...

Take here in Bali, there is a first check downstairs before being put on the conveyer belt, plus a sniffer dog. Main target : drug.

Any "red flagged" luggage will be signaled to some plainclothes agents at the luggage belt, who will intercept the person picking it up.

But for all the other luggage you will, when exiting the custom area, be asked to put it through another Xray ..Target : alcohol. Not for religious reasons but tax reasons.  

Normally ALL the passengers will be required to put ALL their luggage on the belt. This check is fast, as mainly targetting bottles. 

Only when there is a huge queue they will let some pass, some check.

Indo customs has several videos on Youtube on this.

Edited by Thai Spice

These new machines will be installed before you pick up your case I would think.

Those on the exit are usually manned when I arrive but like you I don't make any eye contact with the officers and I try to walk as far away from the operation as posible. So far I have gotten away with it but I guess sooner or later I will get a hand on the shoulder or I will be the only one walking through. It's very rare that I am carying anything other than Bounty bars so hopefully they will be of no interest to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Depends mate...

Take here in Bali, there is a first check downstairs before being put on the conveyer belt, plus a sniffer dog. Main target : drug.

Any "red flagged" luggage will be signaled to some plainclothes agents at the luggage belt, who will intercept the person picking it up.

But for all the other luggage you will, when exiting the custom area, be asked to put it through another Xray ..Target : alcohol. Not for religious reasons but tax reasons.  

Normally ALL the passengers will be required to put ALL their luggage on the belt. This check is fast, as mainly targetting bottles. 

Agree pretty much on the process downstairs.  I think upstairs will remain the same as is, with machines used to check what's been reported plus random checks and some hand baggage.  There'll be no more machines upstairs (23 X Ray machines and 23 baggage conveyors is too much of a coincidence for me) so not much opportunity for other changes.

12 minutes ago, KWA said:

Agree pretty much on the process downstairs.  I think upstairs will remain the same as is, with machines used to check what's been reported plus random checks and some hand baggage.  There'll be no more machines upstairs (23 X Ray machines and 23 baggage conveyors is too much of a coincidence for me) so not much opportunity for other changes.

not to mention the article dated July 5th states the machine have been installed..... surely if that was upstairs it would have been noticed by now !!

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Don't forget they've still got plainclothes customs cops waiting to pounce on innocent tourists after you've cleared the customs area. Happened to me recently.

My hope is that I have quit vaping or the health department of Thailand legalizes it. (the thought is on their table) Then Somchai plainclothes can pounce on me till the cows come as am clean. I get pulled out of line all the time in the States. My carry on always looks suspicious due to the amount of various cords I have packed in a Ziploc bag for my electronics, phones, etc. The X-ray picks up on it as it looks bomb related. They apologize multiple times during the search. I always tell them no problem and always reassure them you are just doing your job and an important one at that.

17 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Depends mate...

Aren't they after cigarettes as well? Anecdotally, they seem to be a bigger revenue for the customs people at Swampy than booze. I'm not sure an x-ray machine can distinguish them from other soft items though.

they were using it last year as u came thru customs.  i had an odd shaped package and they scanned it..  not in general each passenger use then, but saved them openinn peoples bags.  so are us saying every passenger now gets scanned or just the ones they pick?  because if so, it was that way for a year

18 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Aren't they after cigarettes as well? Anecdotally, they seem to be a bigger revenue for the customs people at Swampy than booze. I'm not sure an x-ray machine can distinguish them from other soft items though.

Speaking about cigarettes, they are cheap here. Custom allowance is 200 cig per adult.

Keep in mind I speak about Indonesia, just as a comparison.

PS : you would be surprised what an Xray machine can see if scanned slowly by a well trained and attentive operator. Check Youtube .

38 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Speaking about cigarettes, they are cheap here. Custom allowance is 200 cig per adult.

PS : you would be surprised what an Xray machine can see if scanned slowly by a well trained and attentive operator. Check Youtube .

Yes I think an xray machine can pretty much see through most things apart from lead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I suspect that the "well trained and attentive operator" condition will be the killer. They have to have properly trained operators on the security systems, but this is customs and after the novelty has worn off I doubt if they'll be applying the same level of rigour as they do in the security checks. I guess illicit bottles of booze in your suitcase will stand out pretty clearly though.

• Like 1

Just curious as to what extreme top shelf booze BMs need to bring in that they don't sell here say on the corner of 2nd Road and Klang? Very high end Scotch? or ...? 

2 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Just curious as to what extreme top shelf booze BMs need to bring in that they don't sell here say on the corner of 2nd Road and Klang? Very high end Scotch? or ...? 

I always bring a bottle of good champagne, Taittinger or Bollinger. Costs around £40 at Heathrow duty free, say 1500 Baht in Thai money at present. The same bottle will set you back 5000+ Baht here, and that's if you can find it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toy Boy said:

I always bring a bottle of good champagne, Taittinger or Bollinger. Costs around £40 at Heathrow duty free, say 1500 Baht in Thai money at present. The same bottle will set you back 5000+ Baht here, and that's if you can find it.

Perfect good reason. 

5 hours ago, tommy dee said:

they were using it last year as u came thru customs.  i had an odd shaped package and they scanned it..  not in general each passenger use then, but saved them openinn peoples bags.  so are us saying every passenger now gets scanned or just the ones they pick?  because if so, it was that way for a year

The ones as you pass through customs control have been there for years (maybe since the airport opened) and could not possibly check everyone - always been random or perhaps profiled checking.  These new ones are likely installed prior to luggage going on the conveyor belt for pickup, as happens in many airports worldwide, and will scan every bag going on the belt.

I suspect they won't all be manned all the time, perhaps targetting flights originating in higher risk countries.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Ok, that makes sense. You can always put it in 2 Listerine bottles and add some food coloring if you really have to have it. I was googling ways to hide booze in your suitcase after I read your post. YouTube of course has many a vid on the how-tos for suitcases and booze. 

~Disclaimer: Forgot about the fizz factor of the champagne but the Listerine bottle method works well it appears for clear liquors. 

Edited by Steelers4Life

51 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Whilst not extreme top shelf stuff I always bring a  bottle of Bundy OP Rum.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this