john luke

July 16th and 17th

Are July 16th and 17th 2019 scheduled to be dry days?  

16th is Asahna Bucha Day

17th is Buddhist Lent.

Yeah, and the new King's birthday is on July 28th, but from what I recall of last year it wasn't a dry day. Things might change now that he's had his coronation though, so be prepared.

More reasons to bypass Thailand ...

Last thing I want is this kind of zealot stuff when on holiday....

8 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

The no alcohol thing really is only a problem for those who must spend every waking hour glued to a bar stool.

Nope, just a matter of freedom...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Nope, just a matter of freedom...

Excuse my ignorance but how does it affect freedom ?

The Thai authorities are enjoying their freedom to prohibit sales of alcohol on what are significant religious days to them.  As visitors we must respect that.  

Remember 60 years ago approximately UK shops were not allowed to open on Sunday, a religious day.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, john luke said:

The Thai authorities are enjoying their freedom to prohibit sales of alcohol on what are significant religious days to them.  As visitors we must respect that.  

Remember 60 years ago approximately UK shops were not allowed to open on Sunday, a religious day.

Yep...60 y ago.

FFS, even during Ramadan the small supermarket sells beer in my jungle. And without silly stupid hours.....

Anyway...

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Great Info 1

8 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yep...60 y ago.

FFS, even during Ramadan the small supermarket sells beer in my jungle. And without silly stupid hours.....

Anyway...

Your point??

You will find most mum & pop shops sell beer around the villages over these times.... in fact they will sell near every day of the year.... and some in the larger locations like Bkk...Patts...etc.

cheers

10 minutes ago, roobob said:

Your point??

You will find most mum & pop shops sell beer around the villages over these times.... in fact they will sell near every day of the year.... and some in the larger locations like Bkk...Patts...etc.

cheers

When I was in Thailand I knew where to find alcohol any day. Its still a pain, and shows how ridiculous the law is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Thai Spice said:

When I was in Thailand I knew where to find alcohol any day. Its still a pain, and shows how ridiculous the law is.

To many of the Thais it is not a ridiculous law to sell alcohol on their significant religious days... after all it is their country.

The ban is only for sales on those days...… there is no ban on drinking on those days.

cheers

• Like 1

Isn’t that why a lot of us enjoy Asia, where laws are just a guideline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Isn’t that why a lot of us enjoy Asia, where laws are just a guideline?

Last time  checked, Japan, Vietnam and Singapore are all in Asia and I wouldn't care to view the laws in those countries as "just a guideline", that is likely to become a very unpleasant experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think in a heavily touristed country there should be some common sense to it though.

can you expect a family on holiday for a week having a nice evening meal out and being told they can’t order a glass of wine with their meal on that day? You can’t expect them to know that when they booked. 

In a Muslim country like Malaysia they make sensible compromise in a restaurant that you can bring your own bought from a shop

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, barsie said:

I do think in a heavily touristed country there should be some common sense to it though.

can you expect a family on holiday for a week having a nice evening meal out and being told they can’t order a glass of wine with their meal on that day? You can’t expect them to know that when they booked. 

In a Muslim country like Malaysia they make sensible compromise in a restaurant that you can bring your own bought from a shop

As it is a ban on selling and not drinking why can one not take their bottle of wine to a restaurant in Thailand ?

7 hours ago, john luke said:

Are July 16th and 17th 2019 scheduled to be dry days?  

16th is Asahna Bucha Day

17th is Buddhist Lent.

I think one will find that Immigration is shut on those two days as well.

Last time  checked, Japan, Vietnam and Singapore are all in Asia and I wouldn't care to view the laws in those countries as "just a guideline", that is likely to become a very unpleasant experience.

I guess Asia was too general, swap Asia with Thailand in my OP then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, john luke said:

25 yrs

46 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

25 yrs

Yes 25 years for the present Sunday opening regime, however I can remember as a child, which goes back a bit, that the local off licence shop was open on a Sunday.  From memory they could sell beer during certain hours but not milk.  By and large restrictions were ignored and not really enforced.  It was only when the big supermarket chains started opening on Sundays that Trading Standards became involved and prosecutions started.  Subsequently the government bowed to public pressure. resisted pressure from the Churches and legislated to allow the restricted Sunday trading which is now in force.  It may surprise members outside UK to learn that the large supermarket chains are only allowed to open for six hours on a Sunday.

44 minutes ago, john luke said:

It may surprise members outside UK to learn that the large supermarket chains are only allowed to open for six hours on a Sunday.

It surprises me and I live in the UK.  My local Aldi is open 11 hours and Asda 24 hours.

36 minutes ago, KWA said:

It surprises me and I live in the UK.  My local Aldi is open 11 hours and Asda 24 hours.

926E450C-DB37-42F5-8A86-9C8C724CD01F.png

The above is fairly typical of Asda Sunday opening hours in England.  Are you referring to England or Elsewhere in UK?

https://www.brentwood.gov.uk/index.php?cid=2343

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Working_(Scotland)_Act_2003

Yes _ Conceded Law for Scotland is different. We learn something new every day.

No, Scotland.  And the 25 years ago change mentioned above didn't apply here either - we were well ahead of that.

Capture.JPG

Alcohol sales are allowed in hotels which are promoting tourism. So that glass of wine would be ok in a hotel.

9 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Yep...60 y ago.

Anyway...

I will be upcountry on the those days in Sida, Korat. The country store sells alcohol no matter what time or day, holiday or no holiday. They don't give a shit about the restrictions that are monitored more closely in the municipal areas of Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1