Toy Boy

Dressing for Immigration

It was in the news last week that Jomtien Immigration have announced a dress code that they'd like people to respect.

Immigration clothes.png

Apparently they're not insisting on it at the moment, but I was just wondering how people have responded to this request? Are people still going there wearing wife-beater vests, and Russian women in tight denim short shorts, or has everything smartened up now? I will admit that I've always tried to dress reasonably tidily when visiting Immigration, but beach resort tidy, not Bangkok business district tidy. So a decent pair of shorts and a tee-short with a collar, I've never much fancied wearing trousers and shoes given how hot it can get in the daytime, but if they start insisting on it then of course we'll have no choice. Has anybody been to Immigration in the last week and have things changed, or is it still the same bunch of badly-dressed slobs going there?

• Like 1

I've also wore a collared polo shirt, shorts and sandals. Never been a problem, and always received fast and courteous service. No big deal for me if they want to up the dress code to pants. Don't see anything on the poster that says I'll have to ditch my sandals for shoes.

I always dress properly for any official business, immigration, consulate, etc....  I mean, its not like going to the beach or to a disco !

Call me old fashioned but if I was interviewing, receiving somebody in an official position the way visitors dress would sure influence the way I treat them. Think job interview.... No need to overdo it but respect is expected.

FYI, same recommendations by my visa agent (and forums) here in Bali. Dress properly for immigration . Shorts and flip flop are not really appreciated....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think it shows respect and really, is common sense, when going to such places.

To each their own, but I certainly make the effort. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Do as the locals do.

Now I know you don't see many locals at Immigration, but an equivalent in my view would be going to City Hall for new ID card etc.  If any of you have ever been there you'll have seen Thais in their regular clothes of shorts, flip flops and polo or open neck collared shirts - no wifebeaters or hot pants really as that's not regular wear.  That's how they do it so that's how I'll do it too.

It's an Immigration Office in a tourist area of Thailand, not a meeting with your bank manager in The City of London or Wall Street.

26 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I think it shows respect and really, is common sense, when going to such places.

To each their own, but I certainly make the effort. 

Agree, good post. That's two now. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, KWA said:

Do as the locals do.

Now I know you don't see many locals at Immigration, but an equivalent in my view would be going to City Hall for new ID card etc.  If any of you have ever been there you'll have seen Thais in their regular clothes of shorts, flip flops and polo or open neck collared shirts - no wifebeaters or hot pants really as that's not regular wear.  That's how they do it so that's how I'll do it too.

It's an Immigration Office in a tourist area of Thailand, not a meeting with your bank manager in The City of London or Wall Street.

I am not a 3rd world country local. End of.

Besides that, I represent my country and people will judge your country on your behaviour.  

Do I need to name a typical example here in Bali of people who do a really good job to give a very poor image about their country ?

But as Krapow said "to each his own". 

BTW, the way people behave and dress is the 1st filter for me to decide if I even want to speak to them. 

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

I am not a 3rd world country local. End of.

Besides that, I represent my country and people will judge your country on your behaviour.  

Do I need to name a typical example here in Bali of people who do a really good job to give a very poor image about their country ?

But as Krapow said "to each his own". 

BTW, the way people behave and dress is the 1st filter for me to decide if I even want to speak to them. 

You're happy to live there with them and share bits of their culture that suit you, but when you deem your home country's behaviour as better you jump to being Western through and through.  You can't have it both ways unless you think your very, very special (you're not).

In Thailand, or anywhere else in the world, no local is going to think less of you or your country for dressing the same as them.

Yes, there are levels and standards to maintain, but a decent pair of shorts and a shirt with a collar is acceptable for gents IMO, and no tarty stuff for the ladies.  The wifebeater, soccer shorts etc I think we're all agreed is below what is expected.

Apart from the shorts, the pics at Immigration have probably got it about right.

Edited by KWA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

So going by the above posts, wearing this is no go then? What a buzz kill as I like my boys to have a little freedom when I go to places like Immigration. mankini.jpg

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, KWA said:

You're happy to live there with them and share bits of their culture that suit you, but when you deem your home country's behaviour as better you jump to being Western through and through.  You can't have it both ways unless you think your very, very special (you're not).

=> Wrong.I am westerner 1000%. Worse even...I am French !

In Thailand, or anywhere else in the world, no local is going to think less of you or your country for dressing the same as them.

=> wrong

Yes, there are levels and standards to maintain, but a decent pair of shorts and a shirt with a collar is acceptable for gents IMO, and no tarty stuff for the ladies.  The wifebeater, soccer shorts etc I think we're all agreed is below what is expected.

=> Correct

Apart from the shorts, the pics at Immigration have probably got it about right.

3 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

=> Wrong.I am westerner 1000%. Worse even...I am French !

From seeing your posts on here and elsewhere on how you live, if you really think that then you're a hypocrite.  You may make an effort, but a large percentage of what you post shows the truth.

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

wrong

How can you live here for so long (as you keep telling everybody) yet know so little about the people?

I’d think it’s crude,

to turn up in the nude,

so I’d keep my old school tie on. 

Seriously, when attending immigration once a year, I always wore a smart shirt with full length sleeves, smart, well pressed chinos or similar and brown leather shoes and socks. It just shows respect to the people you are being interviewed by. 

Costs nowt. 👌

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Only one chance to make a first impression.

Brown shoes for an interview - shut the door on the way out please. 😛

Edited by Jambo
  • Haha 1

I just remembered I am going to Immigration tomorrow.

:default_071:

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

I just remembered I am going to Immigration tomorrow.

:default_071:

In matching shoes and trousers? 

• Haha 1

Just take it for granted that anytime I am dealing with the authorities (not just in Thailand) I would dress respectfully, that usually means shirt, trousers and decent shoes.

Having seen the way some people dress when attending immigration in Jomtien I can see why there is need for a dress code. 

Think there should be a dress code for flying (even in economy class) as some of those flying on aircraft are dressed so inappropriately that I am hoping with fingers crossed they are not near me.  I really do not want to be sitting next to guys especially who have singlets on with shorts and flip flops and these are people flying to London from Bangkok.  I suppose it has much to do with the fact that air fares now allow anybody to fly and some have never understood any forms of dress etiquette in their own back yard.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Just take it for granted that anytime I am dealing with the authorities (not just in Thailand) I would dress respectfully, that usually means shirt, trousers and decent shoes.

Having seen the way some people dress when attending immigration in Jomtien I can see why there is need for a dress code. 

Think there should be a dress code for flying (even in economy class) as some of those flying on aircraft are dressed so inappropriately that I am hoping with fingers crossed they are not near me.  I really do not want to be sitting next to guys especially who have singlets on with shorts and flip flops and these are people flying to London from Bangkok.  I suppose it has much to do with the fact that air fares now allow anybody to fly and some have never understood any forms of dress etiquette in their own back yard.

About the same except I wear dress shorts when in Thailand. When flying it is always long pants.

One thing back home in Australia a lot of people fly to and from major airports and then go straight to the work site. Clean and presentable work clothes (high viz work shirt) are then worn.

I've always dressed decently for any interaction with people in authority or who's help I need, wherever it happens to be.

For visiting Chaeng Wattana I've always worn smart casual trousers, smart casual shoes and a decent branded polo shirt that's obviously not from the local market.

• Like 1

when immigration was between soi 7&soi 8 I turned up in,long sleeves, collar and tie,long strides and good leather shoes,walked in straight to the counter,young lady served me,"sit there sir",pointing to amoungst the unwashed,only sit for 10mins and iam called up,get my passport all ready,

as iam walking out this bloke in singlet,shorts and chinnese safety boots,"shit mate I've been here for 2hrs"

I tell him"look how your dressed,your here trying to get the Thais to give you a extension and dressed like your at the local back home".

I always dress tidy only time you see me in shorts,is in the backyard at home in summer,and day time in Thailand.

Oh! and the young lady who served me that day,she loved the old aussie mick muncher going down on her,we was hot and heavy for a few weeks till she went back to BKK head office.

regards

grayray

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jambo said:

Only one chance to make a first impression.

Brown shoes for an interview - shut the door on the way out please. 😛

A smart pair of medium brown leather brogues from Lobbs, will not only last you a lifetime, worn with the correct trousers, and shirt,  will get you to the front of the queue. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

About the same except I wear dress shorts when in Thailand. When flying it is always long pants.

One thing back home in Australia a lot of people fly to and from major airports and then go straight to the work site. Clean and presentable work clothes (high viz work shirt) are then worn.

I used to have to travel to London once a week, to inspect work our company was doing on several large sites in the city.

My job mainly consisted of looking important and pointing, but I always wore a dark suit and they would have a new company hard hat and Hi Vis jacket with the company logo on, waiting for me. I even had a pair of black brogues (Jumbo please note) made that had steel toe caps inside, in order to comply with H&S site rules. Needless to say, the company paid for them to be made.😃

I would have preferred to wear jeans and sweat shirt, but unfortunately, that would have been frowned on by the clients who were paying us millions to build their new HQ’s. Dress for the occasion say I. 🤣

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, some guidance here for proper attire, and adapted for hot weather.

Cool and relax :

images.jpeg-2.jpg

British in style :

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Germanic style :

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Of course being slim and good looking makes it easier than when old and overweight.....😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Thai Spice

11 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

So going by the above posts, wearing this is no go then? What a buzz kill as I like my boys to have a little freedom when I go to places like Immigration. mankini.jpg

I acctually think dressing like that or naked would be appropriate, I don't see that (un)dressing crossed out on the picture. After all it is a good way to show authorities that you've got nothing to hide 🙃

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Ok, some guidance here for proper attire, and adapted for hot weather.

Cool and relax :

images.jpeg-2.jpg

British in style :

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Germanic style :

images.jpeg-3.jpg

Of course being slim and good looking makes it easier than when old and overweight.....😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Perfect for a Gay Pride Convention.

• Thumbs Up 1