What little Thai phrases do you know and use

Baldylocks

A few that come to mind.. 

Sabaidee baw? - Lao version of how are you? 

Suay talub juub mai hom - she's pretty but lazy (full of herself). Always gets a giggle out if the girls. 

Namman prai - potion believed to put a spell on people to love a person (black magic). 

Diaw kon! - Wait! 

Peb nueng! - Give me a second! 

• Thanks 1

Here's a few:-

Pak waan - sweet mouth (as in sweet talker)

Jai yen - clam down

Mai pen rai - don't worry

Mai son - I don't care

Pang - expensive

Jep - hurt

Seea jai - to be sorry

A rom seea - to upset

Nam jai - generous

Jai dee - to have a good heart

Farang roo mak my dee - Farang who knows too much is no good (usually used if they think you can understand Thai)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excuse the spelling. 😟

Nid noi.    Little bit. 

Im Lao.      Full up.

19 years married to a Thai and that’s all I’ve been allowed to learn.  

Funny thing is, In bed with her indoors, I often hear the first two words, but never the second two. Must be a Thai thing, what do you think? 🤔

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Learning Thai is a hobby of mine. I have spent the last 15 years learning as much as I can own my own and through Thai Language.com, videos, etc. I know about 2000+ words. Now that I have built up my vocabulary, my work in progress for the past couple of years is to migrate to the usage of more sentences using my vocabulary. I understand about 30-40% of the conversations between Thais (more than I can speak). It's especially fun to eaves drop in bars, baht buses, etc. when they are talking. But when I go upcountry in Isaan, it all goes out the window. But, I am starting to learn a few Isaan Lao words and phrases.

I am a far cry from fluent with Thai. The two farangs that have impressed me with their fluency are BM Nampla and Sinclair. Mr. Egg (Phil) is pretty damn good as well.  Sinclair is a linguist and speaks 6 languages fluently. He can even hold his own with Issan Lao. 

My favorite Thai phrase is "ja baa raaw?" (Are you out of your mind/crazy) which always turns heads and gets a laugh outta the Thais. 

My favorite Isaan Lao phrase is "saep lai lai" (Very delicious!) That turns some heads as well. 

I am not stopping this quest until I am fluent. 

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Learning Thai is a hobby of mine. I have spent the last 15 years learning as much as I can own my own and through Thai Language.com, videos, etc. I know about 2000+ words. Now that I have built up my vocabulary, my work in progress for the past couple of years is to migrate to the usage of more sentences using my vocabulary. I understand about 30-40% of the conversations between Thais (more than I can speak). It's especially fun to eaves drop in bars, baht buses, etc. when they are talking. But when I go upcountry in Isaan, it all goes out the window. But, I am starting to learn a few Isaan Lao words and phrases.

I am a far cry from fluent with Thai. The two farangs that have impressed me with their fluency are BM Nampla and Sinclair. Mr. Egg (Phil) is pretty damn good as well.  Sinclair is a linguist and speaks 6 languages fluently. He can even hold his own with Issan Lao. 

My favorite Thai phrase is "ja baa raaw?" (Are you out of your mind/crazy) which always turns heads and gets a laugh outta the Thais. 

My favorite Isaan Lao phrase is "saep lai lai" (Very delicious!) That turns some heads as well. 

I am not stopping this quest until I am fluent. 

I find Isaan Lao far easier to understand these days.They speak slower and use fewer words. Steels is very good as is Sinclair.

When I first met Khun Egg in X-Zone I gave him the top tip to speak better Thai.....  he needs to sound like a poof. he's thanked me ever since.

Steels if you really want to turn even more heads try "saep lai nua lai" (delicious really delicious) it's an Isaan play on words .....

or saep ee-lee           another good one and very Isaan. 

My favourite expression in Thai is still the one I learned 10/15 years ago great to speak with the Mrs or mia noi"

"Thuk sing thuk yang phom tham phua khun"  ......... (meaning    everything I  do i do it for you .....) cue a song.

Makes them go weak at the knees 😃😍

• Thumbs Up 1

Bai dwai, go with of course.

Kwai, a bad word in Thai

Algaan, a phrase about lovemaking kept strictly between Thais

Ayu tow Rai, how old are you.

Yim yai, big smile

Nalak, cute

Jim, vagina but the rude version

Ongsar tow Rai, how hot is it.

8 hours ago, Krapow said:

Aye, when you say it and grab them by the arse, toot or dood, they soon know what you mean :D

Disgusting behaviour Sir. You wouldn't get me attempting that stuff.

My hands are already occupied and elsewhere:)

• Haha 3