What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

On 1/9/2021 at 7:30 AM, Lemondropkid said:

I'd go for the Old Speckled Hen myselfšŸ‘. $8.99 for 4, feels like a really good price for imported beer?

Speckled Hen is a good beer but I used to drink Newcastle Brown when in the RAF so tried some a couple of years ago for the first time for years.

Meganormous hangover next morning so will not be repeating.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coxyhog said:

Speckled Hen is a good beer but I used to drink Newcastle Brown when in the RAF so tried some a couple of years ago for the first time for years.

Meganormous hangover next morning so will not be repeating.

Speckled Hen, Bass and Abbot have been my go to beers from the supermarket for years as they are nice in a can, as is Guiness.

I really enjoyed my spell ordering bottled beer from Fullers during the last lockdown though!

Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

Speckled Hen, Bass and Abbot have been my go to beers from the supermarket for years as they are nice in a can, as is Guiness.

I really enjoyed my spell ordering bottled beer from Fullers during the last lockdown though!

Ā 

My mate got a mini barrel of ESB from fullers last week & it was flat & smelled of vinegar.

• Surprised 1

9 hours ago, coxyhog said:

My mate got a mini barrel of ESB from fullers last week & it was flat & smelled of vinegar.

Hope he got ontoĀ Fullers, they are an excellent firm, would be stunned if they didn't put it right straight away.

On the Nukie Brown front, gave up on it very quickly as a student for the same reasons as yourself- worst hangover going! 30 odd years on I still wouldn't touch the stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

What time did you wake up at though?šŸ™‚- hopefully not midday and you're still in your pyjamasĀ 

I was up early today for a Zoom conference meeting so I thought I would start earlier than normal.Ā 

That's my excuse and I am sticking to it šŸ˜

• Haha 1

I've just been on the Drinksupermarket website & seen this....I remember being in a pub somewhere in Norfolk in the late 70'sĀ & they had this in a little barrel on the bar.Would only serve it in halves & it had bits of something in it.The bottle is 7.4%....

marstons-owd-roger-english-ale-8x500ml_temp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I've just been on the Drinksupermarket website & seen this....I remember being in a pub somewhere in Norfolk in the late 70'sĀ & they had this in a little barrel on the bar.Would only serve it in halves & it had bits of something in it.The bottle is 7.4%....

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/666981.owd-roger-returns-after-a-long-wait/

Seems it was 10% in those days....

Ā 

21 hours ago, coxyhog said:

God that brings back a significant memory. I didnā€™t really drink as a youngster but went to an 18th birthday party weekend in Liverpool when I was 18 and got off the train to be met my our hosts and immediately taken to a back street boozer full of bikers and a pint of this was thrust into my hand. To me, as a non - drinker it was rank and very strong.Ā 

i would like to try it again to give it a second chance šŸ˜Ž

On 1/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, coxyhog said:

In the late 70's/early 80's I often drove with friends to the Royal Standard Of England at Forty Green, Penn near Beaconsfield .Ā  A fantastic pub in a lovely setting and reputedly the oldest pub in England (over 900 years old).Ā 

On one occasion they were selling Owd Roger and it was delivered in half pints only.Ā  Think I was trying it for a laugh as I believe back then it was about 9 or 10% which was lovely but certainly not a session drink.Ā  Remember it tasting like liquorice, very thick when drinking but the memory has always stuck with me.

I hadn't seen it for sale anywhere but last year B & M were selling bottles of it at a very reasonable price but it was a much lower strength (as you say 7.4%).

Nice to try things but probably buy a couple only if I saw it again.

• Like 1