john luke

TM30 Threads Merged

Wok permit.

Opening a restaurant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's like a work permit but with soy sauce.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well today is immigration and labour dept for wok permit and extension..... lets see if they get shitty cause I aint done a TM.30 !!
No mention of the TM.30 at all, painless visit and work permit and extension stamped to 2021...... this was at one stop in Sriracha.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It has been the practice of Jomtien Immigration not to enforce the rule about reporting coming back from a trip outside of Thailand for those with an Annual visa who have not moved residence.

My mate Sweatie, having recently returned from the UK, went along to Immigration to report back as he claimed that somebody he knew was recently taken to task for not having reported back from a similar trip. My mate Sweatie is a lovely guy but is a worrier, believes everything he hears at the weekly EX-Pats Club and likes to argue.

I came back from a trip myself to the UK last month and did not bother to report back. Sweatie bombardied me with "They will pick it up when you do your 90 day" over and over again.

So yesterday I visited Immigratiion and presented my passport to the two girls at Reception showing my annual visa and the stamp showing my return date last month. I said to the girl at Reception

"I was under the impression that if I had an Annual visa I did not have to report back when I returned to Thailand last month?"

"Have you changed address?'

"No" says I

"No need"  and hands me my passport back.

I am going to strangle Sweatie one of these days! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

5 minutes ago, Jambo said:

It has been the practice of Jomtien Immigration not to enforce the rule about reporting coming back from a trip outside of Thailand for those with an Annual visa who have not moved residence.

My mate Sweatie, having recently returned from the UK, went along to Immigration to report back as he claimed that somebody he knew was recently taken to task for not having reported back from a similar trip. My mate Sweatie is a lovely guy but is a worrier, believes everything he hears at the weekly EX-Pats Club and likes to argue.

I came back from a trip myself to the UK last month and did not bother to report back. Sweatie bombardied me with "They will pick it up when you do your 90 day" over and over again.

So yesterday I visited Immigratiion and presented my passport to the two girls at Reception showing my annual visa and the stamp showing my return date last month. I said to the girl at Reception

"I was under the impression that if I had an Annual visa I did not have to report back when I returned to Thailand last month?"

"Have you changed address?'

"No" says I

"No need"  and hands me my passport back.

I am going to strangle Sweatie one of these days! 🤣

Yeah, I had the same thing with Big Jeff in the village where I live. He's on annual retirement extensions like myself and did a TM30 when he got back from a trip to England a few months ago. Well if you volunteer to do it, I don't suppose they're going to stop you. He kept on telling me when we met at the swimming pool that I'll have to pay a fine the next time I set foot in Immigration. Well I did a re-entry permit a week ago and there were no problems, no need to have done a TM30. Honestly, some farangs are worse than the Immigration cops at wanting to waste our time. .

Different days, different offices, different answers.  My mate also returned from the UK a couple of weeks ago and went down to Jomtien immigration the next day just in case.  Reception that day said they didn't know but asked the boss who said yes, must submit because overseas.  If just within Thailand then not required.

Anyone tried to do it online or with the app?

Tis easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Personally I can't be arsed with reporting my returns to the same address. Even though I'm retired, I still live by the creed time is money, or in my case, time is drinking time.

Worst case scenario they levy a relatively small fine of 1600 to 2000B. Once I get hit with a fine I'll look into the easiest, and least time consuming method to follow the law, but until then I'm going to chill and have another drink.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Since you took the trouble to go all the way to immigration it might have made sense to spend 20 minutes more and get the TM-30 done.   That's what we call  "future proofing".    It's when you need a service from them that they care about the TM-30 (such as residence certificate (in my case), an extension renewal or perhaps even a 90-day check in).

There still seems to be a lot of talk about the TM-30 now involving high level folks at immigration.   Maybe we'll see this streamlined.

All this would be too much trouble for me....

I dont want to retire in a place where I need to go through all this admin shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Me neither so I became a retiree with RESIDENCE in the Philippines. Never been to an immigration office here in 7 years and spend 5 months a year in Thailand on TV and 30 day entries. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Yeah, I had the same thing with Big Jeff in the village where I live. He's on annual retirement extensions like myself and did a TM30 when he got back from a trip to England a few months ago. Well if you volunteer to do it, I don't suppose they're going to stop you. He kept on telling me when we met at the swimming pool that I'll have to pay a fine the next time I set foot in Immigration. Well I did a re-entry permit a week ago and there were no problems, no need to have done a TM30. Honestly, some farangs are worse than the Immigration cops at wanting to waste our time. .

if you are going to go overseas, return and stay same address as before then do a 90 day it may not be a problem. 

However if you need to apply for a driving licence etc it could be an issue. I had that very problem in Khon Kaen. Went to get a new licence but they require a proof of residence which i produced from immigration, thing is they checked my passport and realised this was pre my overseas trip and I did not have a new one. I was told to go to immigration and get a new one before they would issue a new licence.

So as much as it may not hinder those who come go and come back again without the need to get licences etc it is advisable to get an up to date registration of your address when arriving back into the country if you are going to have some involvement with red tape and the authorities (not immigration).

5 hours ago, KWA said:

Different days, different offices, different answers.  My mate also returned from the UK a couple of weeks ago and went down to Jomtien immigration the next day just in case.  Reception that day said they didn't know but asked the boss who said yes, must submit because overseas.  If just within Thailand then not required.

Proof that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Thai Immigration, this is their official TM30 poster. TM30 needed for an overnight stay in another province in Thailand, but there's no mention of it being required if you leave the country. Fecking eejits.

Immigration TM30.jpg

8 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Proof that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Thai Immigration, this is their official TM30 poster. TM30 needed for an overnight stay in another province in Thailand, but there's no mention of it being required if you leave the country. Fecking eejits.

Immigration TM30.jpg

In a way you are leaving the province and going to another one when leaving your home just to get to the airport.

You are also using a visa to leave the country and then will return to continue temporary residence in the country (province)

As I mentioned above it is likely that when reporting 90 days (after overseas travel) as long as your residence matches the one on the arrival card and the previous residence address logged then likely no problems. The problems usually arrive when dealing with authorities other than immigration such as happened to me with a licence.

It is also very noticeable after spending time in Thailand that there are Thai interpretations and there are ours. As much as ours may not change it is likely that the Thai ones will. We just have to be prepared for every eventuality and have a beer after biting our tongue when needed.

18 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

In a way you are leaving the province and going to another one when leaving your home just to get to the airport.

You are also using a visa to leave the country and then will return to continue temporary residence in the country (province)

As I mentioned above it is likely that when reporting 90 days (after overseas travel) as long as your residence matches the one on the arrival card and the previous residence address logged then likely no problems. The problems usually arrive when dealing with authorities other than immigration such as happened to me with a licence.

It is also very noticeable after spending time in Thailand that there are Thai interpretations and there are ours. As much as ours may not change it is likely that the Thai ones will. We just have to be prepared for every eventuality and have a beer after biting our tongue when needed.

It is quite apparent that different Immigration offices sometimes apply the rules and procedures differently to one another. An obvious example is the 90 day reporting where in Jomtien you can be in and out quite literally in less than 5 minutes because there is no form filling required.

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

It is quite apparent that different Immigration offices sometimes apply the rules and procedures differently to one another. An obvious example is the 90 day reporting where in Jomtien you can be in and out quite literally in less than 5 minutes because there is no form filling required.

Always felt with Jomtien that I was an inconvenience rather than a welcome visitor when reporting 90 days.  No money involved so no doubt the staff saw me as an hindrance regardless of the fact that I was a polite and civil foreigner.

• Like 1

Just read this on Coconuts Bangkok.

Now I am taking this from a source I am not familiar with but it jumped out at me on my phone as a news story on my phone.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/its-official-expats-in-thailand-traveling-overnight-need-not-notify-immigration/

It does not mention retirees but I know a lot of disdain to this rule has come form the business community.

Maybe others such as Tommy can confirm.

12 hours ago, Horizondave said:

if you are going to go overseas, return and stay same address as before then do a 90 day it may not be a problem. 

However if you need to apply for a driving licence etc it could be an issue. I had that very problem in Khon Kaen. Went to get a new licence but they require a proof of residence which i produced from immigration, thing is they checked my passport and realised this was pre my overseas trip and I did not have a new one. I was told to go to immigration and get a new one before they would issue a new licence.

So as much as it may not hinder those who come go and come back again without the need to get licences etc it is advisable to get an up to date registration of your address when arriving back into the country if you are going to have some involvement with red tape and the authorities (not immigration).

I went to Jomtien last week to get a residency certificate because I will need it to buy a car.

First thing the lady at the info counter asked was for my TM30 which I had (online report is quick and easy), happy that all my document were in order she was about to hand me the queue number but then hesitated and asked why I needed the certificate which I said was to buy  a car so she asked for car bluebook and bill of sale........ obviously I did not have these as that requirement is not publicised anywhere so I had no idea they were needed so I politely smiled and nodded and left bewildered by such a requirement and not knowing how I could obtain these.

Annoyed that I had taken a half day off work to get this certificate I stopped at Sriracha immigration on the way to work.... no fucks given  there for TM30 nor why I needed the certificate and 10 minutes later I left with the certificate and it cost nothing (Jomtien want Bt.300).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Can't see anywhere else announcing this ... 

Its on the immigration website.

Be interesting to see if it filters down to individual immigration departments as it is a bit of a cash cow for them collecting fines.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

I went to Jomtien last week to get a residency certificate because I will need it to buy a car.

First thing the lady at the info counter asked was for my TM30 which I had (online report is quick and easy), happy that all my document were in order she was about to hand me the queue number but then hesitated and asked why I needed the certificate which I said was to buy  a car so she asked for car bluebook and bill of sale........ obviously I did not have these as that requirement is not publicised anywhere so I had no idea they were needed so I politely smiled and nodded and left bewildered by such a requirement and not knowing how I could obtain these.

Annoyed that I had taken a half day off work to get this certificate I stopped at Sriracha immigration on the way to work.... no fucks given  there for TM30 nor why I needed the certificate and 10 minutes later I left with the certificate and it cost nothing (Jomtien want Bt.300).

Just the typical Thai interpretation of any given rule.  If you had asked for the residency certificate to change your driving licence I doubt they would have asked to see your licence (and even if they did) and you would have walked away with a certificate.  Glad it worked out though.

This is Thailand, it won't change.

As I said on another thread you can be as prepared as you think you will ever need to be and they will still ask a question or request a document that wasn't thought about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Just the typical Thai interpretation of any given rule.  If you had asked for the residency certificate to change your driving licence I doubt they would have asked to see your licence (and even if they did) and you would have walked away with a certificate.  Glad it worked out though.

This is Thailand, it won't change.

As I said on another thread you can be as prepared as you think you will ever need to be and they will still ask a question or request a document that wasn't thought about.

Yeah its crazy the way it works sometimes and has been an annoyance for the past13 years..... Atleast I have no reason to deal with them again until my extension needs to be renewed in 2021.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:59 PM, Horizondave said:

Went to get a new licence but they require a proof of residence which i produced from immigration,

On 9/14/2019 at 4:18 AM, Sir_Fondles said:

If ya qualify get yerself a "yellow book", no more "proof of residency letters required" and the corresponding fee for the service that is supposed to be free lol  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

If ya qualify get yerself a "yellow book", no more "proof of residency letters required" and the corresponding fee for the service that is supposed to be free lol  

Yellow book won't happen as my landlord does not live in thailand, My employer is going to have my work permit updated with my work address, that sorts the issue.

Resi cert is free at Sriracha Immigration and was a quick pain free process, for those that need to deal with immigration in Pattaya (Chonburi) should consider the Sriracha office instead of Jomtien.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

for those that need to deal with immigration in Pattaya (Chonburi) should consider the Sriracha office instead of Jomtien.

Agreed but i thought you could only deal with the IO for your address, is Siracha a sub office of Chonburi ?

3 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Agreed but i thought you could only deal with the IO for your address, is Siracha a sub office of Chonburi ?

No idea to be honest but they certainly had no issue with issuing the resi cert and I know the HR dept does our (3 expats living darkside pattaya) 90 day reporting there too.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

No idea to be honest but they certainly had no issue with issuing the resi cert and I know the HR dept does our (3 expats living darkside pattaya) 90 day reporting there too.

I think Siracha is in Chonburi province so they're letting you use either Jomtien or Siracha IO's.

• Thumbs Up 1