The Race to the Bottom is ongoing

john luke

• 4 weeks later...

untitled-2846-1.jpg

untitled-2847-1.jpg

untitled-2848-1.jpg

I would think many Governments in the West would not like this promotion (above) as it could encourage drinking of excessive amounts of alcohol.  I believe the government in Scotland imposed a minimum price on alcohol to prevent binge drinking.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

untitled-2849-1.jpg

untitled-2860-1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

It would be good to have a review on this @Evil Penevil  see what its like in the flesh so to speak.

Where is the 89-baht  steak restaurant?  Is it Jeffer Steak?  I tried a super cheap option there once  and it was like riding in a locomotive- choo, choo, choo, choo.  Toughest beef I've ever had.  But if it is a different place, I'm willing to give it a try.  Same-same with the 99-baht pizza.

Evil

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry Street names not my. Strong point.  Walk past Terminal 21 and Tesco Lotus to Third Road turn right and it is there near a Honda garage. 

The pizza place is on left side of Naklua Road 1/2 mile past Kiss Food as one approaches Naklua 

On 1/2/2020 at 6:59 PM, john luke said:

untitled-2847-1.jpg

There used to be a place in Nana Plaza on the second floor called the "Black Cat" ( I think ) but for 20 baht you could drink all of the Chang you wanted .... the time period was something like 5 - 9 PM ....

The place was always packed -- I mean standing room only --

On 1/9/2020 at 12:23 AM, Mr Mosquito said:

The bar was called the Cathouse. I think the owner gained some notoriety by illegally sub-leasing the place and then doing a runner.

yes cathouse. first owner doug start chang beef bufet abot 2003. 100 baht chang draft hh 4 - 8 all chang can drink 100 baht.

I’m a consumer, we all love getting something cheaper, or free! But we all know that good farang food costs money to make, especially when you import much of your stuff. TBH I feel sorry for these guys, I’d rather shut my doors than offer full, sit down meals that are maybe 2-3x the price of Thai street food

Edited by Golfingboy

On 1/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, john luke said:

untitled-3415-1.jpg

On 1/8/2020 at 6:35 PM, Lanzalad said:

It would be good to have a review on this @Evil Penevil  see what its like in the flesh so to speak.

I plan on finding this place this afternoon, but will wait until 5.00 pm. in case it opens late.  Anyone want to bet me the 89-baht steak is nothing like the pic?

Evil

12 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

I plan on finding this place this afternoon, but will wait until 5.00 pm. in case it opens late.  Anyone want to bet me the 89-baht steak is nothing like the pic?

Evil

I suspect the starting price is 89 baht, the bigger the piece, the higher the price.  Also do you know what the Thai word is just above the 89 baht?

12 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

EP,

have you ate here seen it to-day on NDTVi blog food looks great

forsure not a cheap Charlie place

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, john luke said:

I suspect the starting price is 89 baht, the bigger the piece, the higher the price.  Also do you know what the Thai word is just above the 89 baht?

It's something with "steak"  (last four characters, สเต็ก in Thai), but not sure what.  Maybe "beefsteak?"   

Evil

1 hour ago, grayray said:

EP,

have you ate here seen it to-day on NDTVi blog food looks great

forsure not a cheap Charlie place

I never watch any of the video bloggers, but I am aware of May's Urban Thai Dine.  It's an upscale Thai chain with branches abroad.  I ate there once, but didn't do a review.  It's expensive for what you get.  Funniest thing is most TGs don't want to eat there; not sure why.

Evil

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I never watch any of the video bloggers, but I am aware of May's Urban Thai Dine.  It's an upscale Thai chain with branches abroad.  I ate there once, but didn't do a review.  It's expensive for what you get.  Funniest thing is most TGs don't want to eat there; not sure why.

Evil

That comes across in the video.(which you won't have watched of course😀) The narrator's girlfriend doesn't seem that comfortable with many of the dishes- a different interpretation of Thai dishes.

It does look great, albeit expensive- I'd give a try

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:06 PM, john luke said:

Sorry Street names not my. Strong point.  Walk past Terminal 21 and Tesco Lotus to Third Road turn right and it is there near a Honda garage. 

Could you mark on the map where the 89-baht  steak restaurant is?  I got a friend with a car to drive me,  but we couldn't see the sign in the pic nor anything that resembled a Honda garage near the intersection of  North Pattaya Road and 3rd Road.

image.png

4 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Could you mark on the map where the 89-baht  steak restaurant is?  I got a friend with a car to drive me,  but we couldn't see the sign in the pic nor anything that resembled a Honda garage near the intersection of  North Pattaya Road and 3rd Road.

image.png

Probably not.  Not an area I regularly visit.  I will have a walk up there again and try to give some reasonable directions. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Found it on this morning's bike ride. It's directly across from Gulf Siam on the map.
image.png

A few more pic of the sign and the entrance to the place.
P1130017.jpg+

P1130018.jpg

I didn't realize until I got home the pic I snapped of the entrance with the name of the restaurant above is obscured. I did poke my head inside and it looked like a comfortable, quiet place to dine.
P1130022.jpg

Their steak menu is two pages. Looking forward to the food review Evil.
P1130027.jpg

• Like 1