The Race to the Bottom is ongoing

john luke

Soi Buakhao mainly but elsewhere there seems to be great competition to capture the bottom end of the dining market.

I would think that the profit margin is so small and the competition so keen that it is not an area that I would wish to compete if I was setting up a business in this area.

An example below.  Faces of two customers blurred out to protect identities.

20190727-IMG_5380-Edit.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john luke said:

Soi Buakhao mainly but elsewhere there seems to be great competition to capture the bottom end of the dining market.

I would think that the profit margin is so small and the competition so keen that it is not an area that I would wish to compete if I was setting up a business in this area.

An example below.  Faces of two customers blurred out to protect identities.

20190727-IMG_5380-Edit.jpg

Well, its not that bad...At least they have a shirt on !

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

As the money stops coming in to Pattaya it will be more dog eat dog with every business...

I watched this happen in Spain in the early 2000's

It's inevitable mate. Less tourists with less money means many businesses are going to scrap it out. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing, might mean there is more great deals around. Though when it comes to food I'm suspicious of the real low end prices.

• Like 1

the cheap places will be the first to die.

a business cant run on a shoe string.  as the cheap places fall, the prices will rise to what they used to be, say 20o baht up for reasonable western meals.  but i can see a 30% fail and close without anyone stepping in to take on their ailing businesses .  attrition i think is the word

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

I believe you wrong Tommy.

The cheap ones will keep going as they always do mate.

The other ones will close first.

With the tumbling exchange rate,people are gonna look at pricing rather than the quality in many circumstances.Most tourists want cheapness,its why all inclusive holidays are so popular.

And most visitors to Pattaya are used to cheap prices,its one of the main attractions.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

As the money stops coming in to Pattaya it will be more dog eat dog with every business...

I watched this happen in Spain in the early 2000's

Good comparison. 

The large empty concrete bar areas remind me of some plazas in Spain like Playa Del Ingles in Gran Canaria. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Most tourists want cheapness,its why all inclusive holidays are so popular.

Yep and never ever thought I'd do it personally but as mentioned here with photos I did in June all inclusive to Bulgaria and it was sublime......once you've been on one it really does make you sit up and think what great value they are

Edited by RR007
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Talking of all inclusive or similar.....what happened to that site that was offering all in packages in Pattaya condos etc where you could eat and drink to your hearts content.

Cant think for life of me who it was but only 3 months ago or so ??  Punch and Judy was it one of them or Robin Hood??  (could be miles off with that one)

Edited....Love in Thailand ??

Edited by RR007
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Talking of all inclusive or similar.....what happened to that site that was offering all in packages in Pattaya condos etc where you could eat and drink to your hearts content.

Cant think for life of me who it was but only 3 months ago or so ??  Punch and Judy was it one of them or Robin Hood??  (could be miles off with that one)

https://lovepattayathailand.com/love-pattaya-thailand-all-inclusive/

Can't ever see this working myself 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RR007 said:

Anyone that bought into that is an absolute mug. Pattaya is well known to be full of fraudsters and crooks, who in their right mind would sign up to that nonsense. 

😂

• Like 2

99 BAHT DINNERS

are a great deal for customers, but lets look at it clearly.  any bar doing this type of meal is running its kitchen for a different reason to a restaurant or cafe.  its not budgeting any profit to come from the food.  the idea is simply that if you buy fod, they will sell you drink, and so they get to sell drink they wouldnt otherwise sell, have customers and  hopefully keep them.    

thats great, so its like giving green shield stamps to get buyers in.  but it makes it  impossible for ccafes and diners to compete or make any money

And its good to see a beer going for under 50 baht again...Many bars on Soi Bukow are taking the piss and charging 55 baht for a beer now...This is outrageous....15 years ago I was only paying 40 baht for a beer......

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Punch and Judy closed already.

I know a bar near to mine that is selling cheap Thai and Western food. It’s been open a couple of months. It has three huge aircon units which they never turn off and about ten staff and management.
The landlord went in to collect the rent and the owner turned his pockets out empty and shrugged his shoulders (literally)
He hasn’t paid a baht in rent yet. And I predict, never will.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1